Rob Kearney

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Post by jezzer »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
jezzer wrote:
mmmmm Kaymer? Hello?!!
Ermm...hello what exactly?
Kaymer is a ROOKIE :?
He is shooting the lights out, or did you forget that bit of your post?
jezzer wrote: Ross Fisher also playing well as is Francesco Molinari.
Sauvignon wrote: Molinari, Donald & Jimenez apart the rest are hardly shooting the lights out.
Well, both Molinaris are in good form, so I gues you've just indicated you meant Francesco. In that case, Hello??? Edoardo Molinari????
Sauvignon Blank wrote: Also, Fisher has been awful since the WGC win in Spain only getting some semblance of form back at the Irish Open.

Carry on.....
Fisher just shot 65 and 66 in his 273 at the KLM.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Donny B. wrote:
Armchair wrote:Paul Casey in line for a call up as major doubts emerge about Westwood's fitness
As Westwood qualfied automatically would it not be the next person in line who'd go instead of a wildcard?
Next up would have been Ed Molinari, who obviously is in on foot of the pick. Casey is then next on the European list which to the best of my knowledge they would look to first rather than the World list which goes Ed. mol, Donald, Poulter, Harrington and then Rose.

I understand that Westwoods agent has released a statement to the effect that his recover is ahead of schedule and it is anticipated will be fine to play.

Pinch of salt for that one i would imagine.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

jezzer wrote: He is shooting the lights out, or did you forget that bit of your post?
He can shoot 62 63 63 65 next week but it won't matter one bit when he tees it up at Celtic Manor...........as a ROOKIE.

jezzer wrote: Well, both Molinaris are in good form, so I gues you've just indicated you meant Francesco. In that case, Hello??? Edoardo Molinari????
No, Eduardo is in good/steady form, Francesco is in great form.
jezzer wrote: Fisher just shot 65 and 66 in his 273 at the KLM.
and a 74. He has won €93k since winning the Irish Open :?

Have you listened to Fisher being interviewed lately? I doubt you have.

In Davis Love III's autobiography, specifically the chapter on his first Ryder Cup where he partners Tom Kite (his hero) in the morning 4Balls, he recounts the absolute dread & fear that grips a rookie that week and on the 1st Tee(kite made him hit the 1st tee shot).
Lets hope our rookies overcome the nerves that week because Davis struggled with his, and he was/is one of the most accomplished ball strikers ever to play the game.
3 Gold Stars
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

With just over a week to go any thoughts on how monty’s going to play his cards. He has said everyone will get a game on the first day and he already knows his first pairing. If picking his wild cards was hard, leaving out 4 players from the opening fourballs looks an equally fiendish task

Historically the “same country pairings” have worked well and you can bet the Molinari bro’s will be paired up at some stage. Likewise Gmac and McIlroy are a good bet.

Here is my attempt at a guess,

Think it is set for some of Europe’s rookies to step up, Rory & Kymer especially (not the worst rookies to have ( 8 & 5 in the world and a major winner)

First Pair: Harrington and Kymer – Give Harrington the chance to prove his critics wrong and assume the playing captain role previously occupied by monty. Kymer No.5 in the world and possibly top form European. Both major winners. Likely to face an American big gun pair like Tiger and Stricker

Second Pair: Westwood and Poulter

Third Pair: Donald and Fisher

Fourth Pair: McIllroy and Mc Dowell

Difficult to leave out the molanari’s, possibly pair ed with Donald.

Afternoon foursomes:

Difficult to call till after tee off on the morning buthere goes,

Brand of ball played might be a small factor:
ProV1x: westwood,rory,Donald,Harrington,fisher,poulter
TM Penta Tp: E Mol, Hanson,Kymer
Callaway: G mac
Nike: F Mol
Srixon Jimenez

4 players will play both, Kymer, Donald, Mcillroy, and Poulter/Mcdowell

Rest westwood only just back from injury and Harrington due to potential wild drives/current form

Pairings:

Molinari Bro’s

Kymer and Hanson

Donald and Jimenez

Mcillroy, and Poulter/Mcdowell (2 from)
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

I would think that Norn-Iron are nailed on for leading them out.
I would think that on form Harrington may get a 'middle of the pack' position on the first day. Discretion being the order of the day.
In saying that i appreciate that there are few places to hid if things go wrong on a Ryder Cup round
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

I reckon Harrington & Partner will tee off first as Monty wants him to take the 'leaders' role in the team. If not PH then westwood.
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

This morning's Pairs

From the 11th tee

8.30 Graeme McDowell, Rory McIlroy, Francesco Molinari, Edoardo Molinari
8.45 Peter Hanson, Miguel Angel Jimenez, Martin Kaymer, Lee Westwood
9.00 Luke Donald, Ross Fisher, Padraig Harrington, Ian Poulter,

Poulter & Harrington will be an interesting combination

Practice Timings – USA

From the 1st tee

8.30 Zach Johnson, Hunter Mahan, Steve Stricker, Tiger Woods
8.45 Stewart Cink, Jim Furyk, Matt Kuchar, Jeff Overton
9.00 Rickie Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, Bubba Watson
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

http://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2010/0930/rydercup.html

Good Q & A piece with Greg Allen.

RTÉ Sport's Greg Allen has been listening to the captains, watching the players and keeping an eye on the course all week at Celtic Manor.

Here, he answers Brendan Cole's questions on the key issues that will decide the 39th Ryder Cup.

1) The captain can't win the Ryder Cup for his team, but some would say he can he lose it. Which captain will be more influential this week?

I think that Colin Montgomerie will be marginally the more influential captain and maybe that's because he has more Ryder Cup experience than Corey Pavin. Also I think that because Monty hasn't won a major championship this is the biggest week of his career and he has admitted that several times.

In contrast, Pavin was a winner of the US Open in dramatic fashion in 1995 and I can't imagine that he would really place winning a Ryder Cup as American captain ahead of what he did at Shinnecock Hills 15 years ago.

Monty and Pavin are so different. It's really hard to compare them. Pavin can talk for a whole press conference and not say anything you would want to jot down while you could use up the ink in a biro scribbling Monty's thoughts and musings.

But Pavin does have one ace to draw on: an inner steel and passion for this competition which he has showed in bucketloads through his career - remember him wearing that Desert Storm military style hat at Kiawah Island in the infamous 'War on the Shore' in 1991.

He may not be as bright or articulate as Monty but his straightforward heartfelt passion for the Ryder Cup will resonate well with his players I think.

One issue though which could have a real bearing is the make up of the back room teams. Pavin's assistants all sing off his hymnsheet in polite chorus while Monty has surrounded himself with some lieutenants who won't be shy at expressing their disagreement should they feel that way. That may lead to healthy open debate and for Europe's sake let's hope in does.

2) What bearing will Tiger Woods have on this match?

There's been fair amount of speculation that this Ryder Cup offers some kind of a redemptive opportunity for Tiger Woods to pluck something from his season by being part of a winning American team. I partly agreed with that idea for a while but after giving it more thought and watching Woods this season, I am not sure Tiger's heart will ever be in the Ryder Cup in the same way as most of his team mates.

He might get a warm and fuzzy feeling feeling by contributing handsomely this week and he may even regard it with a lot more emphasis than he has done since making his disappointing debut in Valderrama in 1997 (when he won only one match out of five). But it's a kind of 'leopard not changing his spots' vibe I think. Like many elite sportmen and women, Tiger is esssntially selfish and self driven.

Although he was a team player for his university college team at Stanford in his pre-professional days, he was disappointing while playing for the American amateur team at the Walker Cup here in Wales in 1995. He was, as indicated, no better two years later on his first Ryder Cup appearance. He has won less than 50 per cent of the points available to him in his entire Ryder Cup career during which he has been World number one on an almost sequential basis.

And, over the years, he has made no secret of his lack of desire to be a full part of the team thing. He went to bed early after America won at Brookline in 1999 and had to be cajoled to come down and join in the celebrations.

He has famously gone out at 6.30 in the morning on practice days in previous Ryder Cups, two hours or more before the majority of his team mates have gone out for a scheduled practice. And who will forget the variety of exasperated expressions he pulled when he partnered Phil Mickelson at Oakland Hills in 2004.

No Tiger is all about Tiger. If he contributes more than two points at this Ryder Cup he will be batting above his average and he has barely an average game coming here. I don't see him as a catalyst for American success, but that's not saying America won't win. It is almost a 50-50 match as I see it with home advantage maybe carrying it for Europe.

3) Monty has turned the chance to set the course up in Europe's favour - has he let an advantage slip or is this a bit of a non-issue?

I've come across a couple of theories about the general non-tweaking of the course by Monty (and it looks like he may now change the setup on 15 to suit Europe).

But in general I'm not sure I buy either of them.

Firstly, he says he wants the 'best team to win'. As we know from sport, it's never as simple as that. When Colchester beat a great Leeds team in the FA Cup in 1971 (still a sore point for me), I don't think anyone thought that Colchester were a better football team. But home advantage at Layer Road made a very significant difference as did the condition of the pitch.

But Monty says he wants Celtic Manor to be a 'fair course' and for the best team to win. He was saying this while seated beside Corey Pavin who was motionless, which is not unusual.

On this occasion there was good reason to remain quiet and still as the American captain could hardly have wanted to turn Monty away from clearly handing back some of the advantage of the Ryder Cup being played on Europe's home soil.

Sure the rough is up but the fairways are wide enough and the rough is not so long as to deter the big American hitters like Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson, Phil Mickelson, and Tiger from whipping out their driver from the bag as a reflex action.

The second theory is clearly related to the first and that is that maybe Monty wants to be remembered as the captain that led his team to victory without resorting to 'tricking up' the course. That way, he could claim the high ground as being a 'fair minded' captain who did not like to take advantage of the 'home' situation.

That's all fine and well but if Europe lose narrowly, will his players thank him for not maximising home advantage?

4) We saw Jim Furyk excel in the rain when winning his $7million but is either team likely to excel in tougher conditions?

I think it is fair to say that European players, especially those from Britain and Ireland (more than half the team), are more accustomed to playing in cool conditions combined with wind and rain. On the PGA Tour in America, they have many rain affected tournaments but it rarely gets cold.

Jim Furyk winning in the rain at the Tour Championship in Atlanta last Sunday where the temperature was in the 80s was a lot less unpleasant than what is forecast here this Friday.

So in bad weather, I would say Europe will be marginally better prepared mentally. A large home support in wet weather will also be a big help. Just remember how Shane Lowry thrived with a partisan home following at Baltray in the wind and rain at the Irish Open last year.

There's also the fact that American players don't travel in great numbers to play in European events while European players travel frequently to play in America. So by that token alone, home advantage is greater on this side of the Atlantic than what the Americans experience when they host the Ryder Cup.

Throw in some typical weather here, and yes, it's definitely advantage Europe.

Remember also that Europe won all five sessions of play at the K Club four years ago in generally quite unsettled weather conditions.

5) Which team will win this match and which players will stand out on both sides?

Europe should win by around three points in quite a close tense finish if only because of home advantage. I don't see a significant difference between the teams.

The average world ranking of the Europeans is almost identical to the Americans and both teams have four players in the world's top ten. Europe may have had more players in form this season but when you look at the world rankings and see four Americans in the top 5, it's a statistic that cannot be ignored.

Admittedly, Tiger and Phil haven't been blowing hot of late, but you can counterbalance that by saying that neither has Padraig and you could also factor in Lee Westwood's injury lay-off which may have taken the edge off his sharpness.

So I really only see home advantage separating the sides. Five of the last six Ryder Cups have been won by the home team and it is a compelling reason to back Europe on a murky looking weekend weather-wise which won't be to America's advantage.

It is much harder to predict who will be the significant players. Luke Donald stands out for Europe, not just because of his brilliant recent form, but also because he has a terrific Ryder Cup record of five wins and one halved match in seven outings.

I think there will be a lot of attention and focus on Rory McIlroy, partly because of his remarks which appeared to have tugged Tiger's tail. I think he will have a good Ryder Cup whether or not he gets a chance to face down Tiger, which may well happen over three days. It would be great if they went head-to-head in singles on Sunday, but Pavin has ruled out any collusion between himself and Monty to make a Tiger-Rory duel happen.

Rory McIlroy will be the centre of attention in Celtic Manor - the young star has publicly said he wants to face Tiger Woods.

Rory's flamboyant reputation and big-hitting game will get the home fans going and with Graeme McDowell beside him, he will have a best friend and also someone who excelled in Ryder Cup play two years ago - albeit on a losing team in Valhalla. Monty will be looking for a serious contribution from Rory and Graeme and also from the Molinari brothers who could be an inspirational force for the home team as well, judging by the manner of their World Cup win together last November. Edoardo in particular is one to watch out for this weekend.

Hard to be sure who will partner Padraig Harrington. Could be Jimenez or Donald with whom he has played very well in practice. I think it was hugely important that Harrington was able to walk into the team room this week after showing fine form in Paris last weekend and he has a serious point to prove to Monty who expressed so much faith in him by picking him over Casey.

From an American perspective, I think Dustin Johnson will stand out this week. Hunter Mahan was a star in Valhalla and was undefeated in five matches and he really buys into the Ryder Cup team thing so he will be a big player for America I think. And the likely partnership of Stricker and Tiger could be a critical over the first two days in terms of being inspirational for the US.

Final result, (I think): Europe 15.5 USA 12.5.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

7:45 AM -- Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson (USA) vs. Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer (EUR)

8:00 AM -- Stewart Cink and Matt Kuchar (USA) vs. Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell (EUR)

8:15 AM -- Steve Stricker and Tiger Woods (USA) vs. Ian Poulter and Ross Fisher (EUR)

8:30 AM -- Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton (USA) vs. Luke Donald and Padraig Harrington (EUR)
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

I thought he'd end up going with Harrington and Fisher as one pair, with Westwood and Donald together

Young Rory escapes his comeuppance it seems, wonder if he's happy about that.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

And they're off!! The TV marathon begins
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

From BBC
FRIDAY FOURBALLS - PLAY SUSPENDED DUE TO HEAVY RAIN
Match 1
2 up L Westwood/
M Kaymer -
after 5

Match 2
1 up R McIlroy/
G McDowell -
after 4

Match 3
1 up I Poulter/
R Fisher -
after 3

Match 4
A/S L Donald/
P Harrington -
after 2
Last edited by Slipper1 on October 1st, 2010, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

0945 - Play Suspended. Its raining
Get in the f%~king bag.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Bugger!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

The man in charge of the whole thing, Chief Ryder Cup referee John Paramor wrote:
"Being matchplay, we leave a lot up to the players themselves. They were continuing but it got to such a stage where even with all the resources we have here it was just too much. We were fighting an uphill battle. We were hoping for a break in the weather, it was there for a few minutes, but unfortunately those lovely breaks filled in and it's turned out to be pretty strong rain again. It's a very strong storm system that is affecting us and it can change but we are looking at early afternoon to start again. That is the indication. We will be looking at possibly playing on Sunday morning now and we have the ability to go to Monday but hopefully the weather will improve and we can get going again."
The forecast for the weekend must be really bad if he's flagging an extra days play after a rain suspension of 30 minutes so far.
Get in the f%~king bag.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Judging by the Fisher/Poulter holes played so far, the conditions are terrible. All four of them managed to completely miss the fairway and land their balls in the same place in the rough
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Apparently the captains have agreed that whoever is ahead at sundown on Monday will win!!

I knew they were chancing their arm by having the tournament in October! :roll:
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

The rain and wind appear to be easing somewhat. I'm about 45 miles I reckon from Newport but the wind up the bristol channel could be even worse than here
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Team USA's waterproofs aren't.

Team Europe playing Tiger Woods 2011 until the rain stops.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Another f%~king announcement at four now!! f%~k this, won't be any more play today at this stage!! :evil: