Random Soccer Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Random Soccer Thread

Post by Logorrhea »

Dexter wrote:I certainly hope so, its what that clown of an owner deserves. Tough on the players and fans though.
Meh, the fans quest for a messiah has caused the club as many problems as Ashley. Allardyce would have done a good job for them but they drove him out. They deserve an owner like Ashley to be honest.

As for Hughton, a shocking decision.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Logorrhea wrote:
Dexter wrote:I certainly hope so, its what that clown of an owner deserves. Tough on the players and fans though.
Meh, the fans quest for a messiah has caused the club as many problems as Ashley. Allardyce would have done a good job for them but they drove him out. They deserve an owner like Ashley to be honest.

Right so, your idea of a good job would be route 1, hoof the ball, bypass the midfield type football? That is Fat Sams philosophy in a nutshell.
As deluded as Geordies are, at least they like some semblance of good football to be played by their teams.

Hughton would have been sacked this season anyway. He's not a manager, never was or never will be.
3 Gold Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:Right so, your idea of a good job would be route 1, hoof the ball, bypass the midfield type football?
My idea of a good job would have kept them in the premiership. Ideals like yours is what got them relegated.

I know which one I would prefer.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Logorrhea wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:Right so, your idea of a good job would be route 1, hoof the ball, bypass the midfield type football?
My idea of a good job would have kept them in the premiership. Ideals like yours is what got them relegated.

Very true. Newcastle need to be an average stable premiership team for a couple of seasons and to slowly build up again. The financial hit they take moving down the divisions is huge and causes all sorts of problems.

Route 1 in the premiership is better than sexy football in the first division
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Logorrhea wrote:

Fair enough, I don't know a huge deal about Newcastle and their fans. In any case the idea of sacking your most successful manager in a long time, who is also popular with fans and players, seems a tad strange. Unless you have a mega-successful name lined up, which doesn't seem to be the case.
Dont Panic!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Logorrhea wrote:

So playing good football gets you relegated?

Bad management and player apathy got them relegated.

Ask a Geordie what he'd prefer to see and i'll bet you it's good attacking football and not the turgid shite Allardyce serves up on a regular basis. Long ball nonsense will only get you so far for a few seasons, then attendances dip along with performances.

Ideals like mine are what the game is all about FFS :?
3 Gold Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:So playing good football gets you relegated?
I didnt say that.
Sauvignon Blank wrote:Bad management and player apathy got them relegated.
Oh I see what your doing there.

How can it be bad management when you get two messiahs in the one season? What more could the fans ask for. These are Messiahs for gods sake! And how can the players be apathetic under King Kev? Why did they play better under Allardyce then they did under the fans favourites?
Sauvignon Blank wrote:Ask a Geordie what he'd prefer to see and i'll bet you it's good attacking football and not the turgid shite Allardyce serves up
Which Geordie should I ask exactly? One of these maybe? You think they gave two f*cks about the style of football that day?

Sauvignon Blank wrote:Ideals like mine are what the game is all about FFS :?
The game is about winning. How you win comes later.

Incidently do you think its better to play good football in the championship or play hoof ball in the Champions league? Were you totally pissed of with Ireland in '88, '90 and '94?
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Logorrhea wrote:Why did they play better under Allardyce then they did under the fans favourites?
That's fairly selective memory right there. They were brutal under Allardyce and I doubt they'd have stayed up had he remained in the job.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Avenger wrote:That's fairly selective memory right there. They were brutal under Allardyce and I doubt they'd have stayed up had he remained in the job.
Are you talking about results or playing style? They were 11th in the table under Allardyce when he was driven out by the "best fans in the world".
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Logorrhea wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:So playing good football gets you relegated?
I didnt say that.

No, but you know that I know that you know what I know you meant.
Sauvignon Blank wrote:Bad management and player apathy got them relegated.
Oh I see what your doing there.

Really? 'Cos apart from promoting a hoof merchant as a panacea to Newcastles ills you've lost me.How can it be bad management when you get two messiahs in the one season? What more could the fans ask for. These are Messiahs for gods sake! And how can the players be apathetic under King Kev? Why did they play better under Allardyce then they did under the fans favourites?

Jesus was a Messiah of some repute, so did he have many followers when in management/consultancy?
Keegan didnt work out he should never have returned. He was undermined constantly and was not the man for the job. A Malaise set in from the board down. And they didnt play better under Fat Sam.

Sauvignon Blank wrote:Ask a Geordie what he'd prefer to see and i'll bet you it's good attacking football and not the turgid shite Allardyce serves up
Which Geordie should I ask exactly? One of these maybe? You think they gave two f*cks about the style of football that day?

No, although your argument is rather SKY-esque in it's delivery. No, I suggest talking to Geordie Fans, ya know the ones from Newcastle who go to the games and pay to be entertained. Not bored senseless resulting in sore necks. I've actually met a few, deluded as hell but know what football they want to watch.
Sauvignon Blank wrote:Ideals like mine are what the game is all about FFS :?
The game is about winning. How you win comes later.

So what is the Spurs Motto/ethos?

Incidently do you think its better to play good football in the championship or play hoof ball in the Champions league? Were you totally pissed of with Ireland in '88, '90 and '94?
erm, at a wild guess i'd say play good football in the premier league and good football in the CL. Regarding Ireland in '88,'90 & '94, they were horrific.

Carry on.....
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Logorrhea wrote:
Avenger wrote:That's fairly selective memory right there. They were brutal under Allardyce and I doubt they'd have stayed up had he remained in the job.
Are you talking about results or playing style? They were 11th in the table under Allardyce when he was driven out by the "best fans in the world".

Please explain how Munster Fans are in some way the reason for Fat Sams demise?
3 Gold Stars
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:

Please explain how Munster Fans are in some way the reason for Fat Sams demise?
All the Newcastle fans wanted to watch the sexy rugby down in Munster. Season ticket sales collapsed. They fill Thomond every week.

While Ireland played badly in '88 we had some great players. By '94 we were an embarrassment, really unwatchable and not really effective. We were only kept in any way competitive in those days by Keane.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

fourthirtythree wrote:
While Ireland played badly in '88 we had some great players. By '94 we were an embarrassment, really unwatchable and not really effective. We were only kept in any way competitive in those days by Keane.
...and Townsend, Houghton, Quinn, Aldridge and McGrath.

We had great players in 88 but still hoofed the bejaysus out of the ball.
3 Gold Stars
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

Agreed with you earlier about '90 & '94 but wouldn't say the same about Euro 88. We played some great football in the qualifiers and in the Finals themselves we had a decent performance against the Dutch and played Russia off the park in Hannover(playing very good football as well). The England game admittedly we were extremely lucky not to lose 5-1 or similar.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

Yeah, sorry - I was thinking of post '94 WRT the quality of the players and performances.

As said below though, in '88 there was a great team and the match against the Soviet Union wasn't too shabby for example. And no shame against the Dutch either who were imperious. I can't remember England as the entire town's braincells were obliterated by my da's roar which was as loud as an artillery barrage and as long as a Brazilian commentator.

Playing England in 1990 though, there were some extenuating circumstances
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_8pfbC ... r_embedded#!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: blah di blah di blah
To be honest I havent the slightest bit of interest in discussing it with you. You didnt answer the liverpool question, you didnt answer the Irish football question because you know you'll contradict yourself.

All I said was that if they had kept Allardyce they would have stayed up. It was the fans that drove him out because they werent happy enough with 11th and wanted instant success (he was there for 8 months). You seem to think (maybe I'm missinterpreting you) that the fans were right to do this, but the record shows that they werent. They f%~ked up. They destabalised the team, the manager, the club itself all because they felt they deserved a different style of football.

I dont hear them screaming for total football this time around. They are actually quite happy with their current lot, a fairly direct style and the stability that Hughton brought them. Its obvious they are pissed off and rightly so, but I dont believe they deserve any sympathy of late. Not after what they themselves did to their club not too long ago.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Logorrhea wrote:
Results. Table position doesn't reflect form. They may have started well and were in free fall. I can't remember. But I do remember that they had a run of very bad results (and I think Liverpool put 5 past them at St. James') but the straw that broke the camels back was only getting 1 point from games against Derby and Wigan. He left in January when they were struggling badly - just over half the season completed. Suggesting they'd have stayed up if he had stayed on is a big focking stretch of the imagination.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Avenger wrote:He left in January when they were struggling badly - just over half the season completed. Suggesting they'd have stayed up if he had stayed on is a big focking stretch of the imagination.
Ahhh come on. I'm all on for an arguement but you cant seriously tell me that a team placed 11th in the table, after the Christmas schedule, is somehow in serious danger of going down? This is in a league where only two teams will go down as Derby have the bottom place sown up. Not even Newcastle fans believed it was a relegation issue.

You come out with this and you accuse me of a big focking stretch of the imagination for suggesting that they would stay up?

Look I'm all on for debating the two of you on this kind of stuff but it gets a bit dull when you both start picking at tiny bits of it, making other stuff up, while avoiding the main points of the conversation. Those kinda conversations just dont interest me.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Logorrhea wrote:You come out with this and you accuse me of a big focking stretch of the imagination for suggesting that they would stay up?
You seemed to be suggesting that they would definitely stay up. That is horseshit. I worked with a lad who is a Newcastle fan and he was screaming for Fat Sam tom be sacked after that Derby defeat.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

NEWCASTLE UNITED: THE SILENT MOVIE THE RETURN!

MUSICAL ACCOMPANIMENT: The Fiver Rag

EXT. ST JAMES' PARK
Mr Ashley is sat in a wooden booth from which he is vending cutting-edge football equipment. A handwritten sign above his head reads 'Sports Direckt dot com'.
TITLE CARD: Mr Ashley ~ "Tee hee heeeeee! I'm going to make a proper penny selling all these boots!"
The camera pans out to reveal piles of the very latest style of boot the Adidas Stan Seymour Hobnail Soccer And Deep Pit Mining Shoe sitting before him.
TITLE CARD: Ten minutes later ...
All the boots have disappeared. There are smudges of shoe polish around Mr Ashley's lips. A solitary lace protrudes from his mouth. He lets out a rasping belch.
TITLE CARD: Mr Ashley ~ "Gawf! Kin ell! I've accidentally eaten all me stock! Again. I'll have to go and get some more from ver lock-up."
Mr Ashley makes to get up from the booth. He cannot move. With a belly full of tough leather, he is now totally wedged in.
TITLE CARD: Mr Ashley ~ "Harumph! This is another fine mess I've eaten myself into."
He looks at the camera, frowns, and twiddles his tie.
Mr Ashley is still stuck in the booth.
Mr Ashley is still stuck in the booth.
Mr Ashley is still stuck in the booth. He is whiling away the time by eating his bowler hat.
Mr Hughton, the janitor, walks past. He is carrying his bag of tools.
TITLE CARD: Mr Hughton ~ "Cor, Mr Ashley, sir, I'd better get you out of that pickle you've got yourself into!"
Mr Hughton sets about his work.
TITLE CARD: Seven seconds later ...
A couple of the booth's planks having been adroitly prised off, Mr Ashley has been painlessly freed. Satisfied with a job well done, Mr Hughton deferentially tugs at the peak of his working-man's cap.
TITLE CARD: Mr Hughton ~ "Cor, Mr Ashley, sir, having released you from the booth, turned the club around, earned the trust of a dressing room full of unpredictable dilettante wideboys, won the Championship, re-established the club in the Premier League, and generally been a decent, hard-working and civilised human being, for an annual wage of seven shillings per annum, is there anything else you'd like me to do, Mr Ashley, sir?"
Mr Ashley, mugging to camera, grins manically and rubs his hands conspiratorially.
TITLE CARD: Mr Ashley ~ "Her her. Yeah! Fack orft! Yer sacked! Now, with Peter Beardsley and Steve Stone holding the fort, I'm off to see if I can get former Ajax boss Martin Jol to take over. But first I'd better mend this stall."
Mr Hughton shrugs and departs with dignity. Mr Ashley grabs a pot of glue and a brush, and sets about trying to reaffix the planks gently prised off his stall.
Where there once was a stall, there is now a large pile of matchsticks. Mr Ashley is standing in the middle of them, with the gluepot wedged upside down on his head.
TITLE CARD: Mr Ashley ~ "Ffffff! Kinell! Gaaaw! Never mind this, I'm orft to land Jol before Hamburg get him. A half-decent managerial appointment should placate the masses angered at the sacking of Hughton."
Mr Ashley jumps into his Ford Model T. He slams his foot on the accelerator and turns hard right out of the car park. Unfortunately, the pot of glue slips from his head and covers his right hand, sticking it to the steering wheel, and his right foot, affixing it to the accelerator pedal. He falls out of the car door in shock.
SOUND FX: Swannee whistle.
Mr Ashley is left hanging from the car, his hand locking the steering wheel full right, his foot pressing the accelerator to the floor. After the setting up of the most convoluted metaphor in the history of slapstick, the car spins round and round in a circle, going nowhere, Mr Ashley having totally lost control.
The car is still going round and round in a circle.
TITLE CARD: Four hours later ...
The car is still going round and round in a circle.
TITLE CARD: Four hours later ...
The car splutters to a halt, having run out of petrol. It is dark. Mr Ashley manages to peel his hand and foot free, then stumbles from the car, totally disorientated.
TITLE CARD: Mr Ashley ~ "Aw, balls to it, I can't be bothered. I'll just ask Alan Pardew, sacked by Southampton in August, to take over instead so he's in place in time for the Liverpool game at the weekend. That'll have to do."
Mr Ashley, having been spun through 360 degrees for the past eight hours and 10 minutes, stumbles off in what seems like seven directions at once. Eventually he bumps headfirst into St James' Park, razing the entire stadium to the ground.
TITLE CARD: The end.