Daily Mail brigade bags another victim

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Daily Mail brigade bags another victim

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer ... 91141.html
Soccer: Andy Gray was sacked by Sky Sports today after footage emerged of the presenter appearing to make an inappropriate remark to a female colleague. The footage came into the public domain two days after Gray was recorded making controversial comments about assistant referee Sian Massey.

Gray had his contract terminated following the release of the new footage, 24 hours after he and fellow presenter Richard Keys were disciplined for their remarks about Massey. Sky Sports reporter Andy Burton was also disciplined this afternoon after footage emerged of him and Gray commenting on Massey’s appearance. He loses a job that reportedly earned him almost €2 million per year.

Announcing the departure of Gray, who has been one of the faces of the broadcaster’s live football coverage since it began almost 20 years ago, Sky Sports said in a statement: “Sky Sports today terminated its contract with Andy Gray. The decision, which is effective immediately, was made in response to new evidence of unacceptable and offensive behaviour.

“The new evidence, relating to an off-air incident that took place in December 2010, came to light after Andy Gray had already been subjected to disciplinary action for his comments of 22nd January 2011.”

The new footage, which was recorded last month but only came to light in the last 24 hours, appears to show Gray making a suggestive comment towards colleague Charlotte Jackson, who does not openly react while he and Keys then burst out laughing. New footage was shown on Sky News today of Gray asking Jackson to help him tuck his microphone into his trousers.

Managing director Barney Francis added: “Andy Gray’s contract had been terminated for unacceptable behaviour. After issuing a warning yesterday, we have no hesitation in taking this action after becoming aware of new information today.”

Burton was stood down from tomorrow night’s League Cup semi-final second leg match between Birmingham and West Ham after footage emerged of him referring to Massey as a “bit of a looker”.

Keys and Gray were dropped from last night’s line-up for the match between Bolton and Chelsea after their off-air remarks were leaked. The pair agreed that female officials “don’t know the offside rule” and predicted Massey would drop a clanger during Wolves’ home game against Liverpool on Saturday. She ended up correctly calling a crucial borderline decision.

Meanwhile, Massey has withdrawn from running the line at tonight’s English League Two match between Crewe and Bradford
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Daily Mail brigade bags another victim

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

:oops:
Hadnt seen the other pitchside footage of what he said...maybe sky were right after all but I still think the whole thing is another storm in a teacup a la Russel Brand and Johnathan Ross-gate
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Workplace sexual harassment?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Hopefully Keys will follow him.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

They are fairly arrogant fellas I have to say, met them in Spain once not the nicest of chaps
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Armchair wrote:They are fairly arrogant fellas I have to say, met them in Spain once not the nicest of chaps
Absolutely, I've met both of them separately and thought they were total pr!cks. Jeff Stelling, by contrast, is a great fella.

Gray is absolutely no loss to Sky; in my opinion, he is one of the most over-rated commentators/pundits in the history of sports.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

A pair of odious pr***s.

Delighted Gray was sacked, hope Sky give Keys the flick also.
3 Gold Stars
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Andy Gray and Richard Keyes - a right pair of sh*ts, frankly.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Clown, when you're on £2m a year of Murdoch's money you damn well better watch your back when you sue the NOTW for huge money. Sky Sports have been modernising and his attempts to rail against it just put his own neck on the block.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

So Sky have disciplined a reporter for saying a referee was a bit of a looker, off air, to a pal / someone he works with.

So applying the same logic, anyone who posted in the JAWS thread here should also suffer the same fate. Josie should get the flick over her "admiration" of Ferg McFadden and Aisling7 is really in the sh!t due to all the drooling over the tables in Corcorans on Saturday while watchng Nadal play tennis.

Stupid.
Get in the f%~king bag.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Never mind
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

sarah_lennon wrote:Never mind
Ok
Get in the f%~king bag.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Slipper1 wrote:So Sky have disciplined a reporter for saying a referee was a bit of a looker, off air, to a pal / someone he works with.

So applying the same logic, anyone who posted in the JAWS thread here should also suffer the same fate. Josie should get the flick over her "admiration" of Ferg McFadden and Aisling7 is really in the sh!t due to all the drooling over the tables in Corcorans on Saturday while watchng Nadal play tennis.

Stupid.
Not as simple a you state above, made a few foul mouthed comments about women in general and also asked a fellow female presenter to "tuck his battery pack into the front of his trousers" also caught on tv. Apparently he was not liked by co workers and they are only to happy to pour petrol on the fire. He aso refused to call the lady in question and apologised even after Keyes had done so and when he was suing his boss as well it was just to good an oppurtunity to miss. Good riddance
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think Slipper might have just been referring to Andy Burton to which I'm fully in agreement if that's the case. The initial incident with Gray and Keys warrants a sacking given that Sky have sacked people for racist remarks in the past so not sure how they could justify not sacking them both for this although it does look like Keys (who I despise) will get off very lightly. I'd like to hear Charlotte Jackson's thoughts on the incident involving her before passing judgement on that one, she might have engaged in that kind of banter herself and thought nothing of it, you can't tell from the clip. The Burton incident is way over the top though imo and I'm not sure it would have been an issue had it not been on the back of the other ones.

Didn't realise Andy Gray was suing the NOTW, makes all this a lot clearer now!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Slipper1 wrote:So Sky have disciplined a reporter for saying a referee was a bit of a looker, off air, to a pal / someone he works with.

Stupid.

Are you saying the sacking of Gray was stupid?
and are you condoning his behaviour judging by your tone?
3 Gold Stars
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Stupid.

I am only referring to the pitch side reporter who seems to have done no more than any of us do many times a day - sorry, it may not have been clear. The other stuff between Gray & Keys and Gray and the microphone down the trousers stuff is clearly wrong.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Slipper1 wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Stupid.

I am only referring to the pitch side reporter who seems to have done no more than any of us do many times a day - sorry, it may not have been clear. The other stuff between Gray & Keys and Gray and the microphone down the trousers stuff is clearly wrong.
Apologies, I took you up wrong.
3 Gold Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Its not acceptable but I'd expect he should be warned first before being fired for any repeat behaviour. He was effectively warned then fired for something he did 2 months ago. He wasnt given a chance to correct his behaviour.

Having said that, I'm delighted hes gone as I thought he was a right tool.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Not my favourite past-time watching the puffballing hairdressers prance about, diving, faking injury, and poncing about in the acrylic jerseys. But I heard yer man Keys on Off the Ball being interviewed by Talksport and sounding like a hybrid of David Brent & Alan Partridge ... Hilarious!

http://twitter.com/talksport

He's gone now too.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Absolutely delighted that Keys is gone, really can't stand him! It's amazing how so much is coming out about them now, makes me very glad I'm not in the public eye, the media can be a very scary machine at times!