Cricket World Cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Cricket World Cup

Post by tackle-bag »

To be fair, batting conditions are ideal so I would have fancied our chances of chasing down a total of 250 or so. Sadly, at 215-2 after 36 overs, it looks like England are going to cruise to 300.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

248/2 with 10 over left and Stirling the most economical of our bowlers has finished his set.

350 upwards would be my estimation, England have wickets in hand and a despite the track a much stronger attack so they know they can really chase a bumper figure.

It's going to be a blood bath I'm afraid...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

we certainly wont win this one but it is worth pointing out that this is VERY much a batting pitch. one which both england and india scored 338 only on sunday just gone.

I wouldn't be too down trodden about the performance until A) we bat and see what happens B) put this result into perspective by reviewing the outcome compared to sundays result
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Despite the benign track, this'll be about composure facing a vastly superior attack to the Bangaldeshi's. We'll need to be way better than we were against them. The only thing that realistically will probably save a severe beating is over-confidence by the English bowlers.

Rankin goes for 10 in the 44th over, he's 6/48/0. Not helping our prospects at all...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

290/4 now
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Two wickets in quick succession means that England are now 294-4 with 5 overs to go. If only we could have knicked those wickets 10 overs ago, we might have been able to keep England down to a managable total. As things stand, they're still likely to reach 330 or so.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Wickets tumbling now. It's 312-6 with 3 overs to go. This is all just too little, too late from our guys though.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

On a positve note they've stopped the top orderfrom getting a ton, glad to see Johnton pick one up he's canny bowler. Colly gone as well by Mooney so 312/6 after 47. Wonder what the three over run record is...?
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Mooney picks up another, similar econmy to our Boyd (in the 7's per over) but the major difference being he's picking up wickets....
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

We haven't a rashers of chasing down 328...................
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

We're gonna get hammered here...
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

I really think that Porterfield's captaincy has to be questioned when this world cup is over. His poor decision-making in the field was substantially to blame for our loss to Bangladesh. I also cannot recall a single decent innings he has had against first class opposition.

I mean, 328 was always going to be a massive target today, but what do you think it does to the morale of the team when they see their captain getting out for a duck on the first ball of the chase!?
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

tackle-bag wrote:I really think that Porterfield's captaincy has to be questioned when this world cup is over. His poor decision-making in the field was substantially to blame for our loss to Bangladesh. I also cannot recall a single decent innings he has had against first class opposition.

I mean, 328 was always going to be a massive target today, but what do you think it does to the morale of the team when they see their captain getting out for a duck on the first ball of the chase!?
A first ball duck on top of 20 against Bagledesh isn't really good enough tbh to warrant opening, he needs to lead by example and chucking away his wicket this early on is not good enough...
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Wilson gone now, looking like another collapse here.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Not going as terribly as expected but gap is just too much.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

222 - 5. O'Brien playing a stormer. Just hit another 6.

106 to win in 15 overs.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I'm a newcomer to this but as I always say, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

England only had 8 out. Does that mean Ireland can't have more than 8 out?
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

nelly the elephant wrote:We haven't a rashers of chasing down 328...................
The mocker Gods just love me........what the hell do I know!
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Broken Wing wrote:I'm a newcomer to this but as I always say, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

England only had 8 out. Does that mean Ireland can't have more than 8 out?
No. It's runs that win it, not wickets taken. If both teams finish with the same run total its a draw even if one team has lost more wickets than the other.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Fortunately boiler crashed last night so am at home now waiting for engineer.

Bad mistake by Strauss, go on Kev fecking nail that ton. Punish the feckers now (it was a very tired stroke though).... :twisted: