Rhys Ruddock

Re: US Masters

Post by Armchair »

The Aussies are on a charge!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Gutted for McIlroy. Also for myself, considering I put a tenner on him on Wednesday at some pretty excellent odds.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

CiaranIrl wrote:Gutted for McIlroy. Also for myself, considering I put a tenner on him on Wednesday at some pretty excellent odds.
My Dad had him at 28-1 each way. He's sick
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

On a less serious note, Rory was the worst dressed golfer today. I think he needs help with his wardrobe. Dark clothe in that heat can't have helped.

Looks like Adam Scott has a chance to go 2 clear
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

Donny B. wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Gutted for McIlroy. Also for myself, considering I put a tenner on him on Wednesday at some pretty excellent odds.
My Dad had him at 28-1 each way. He's sick
+1 :cry: but couldn't care about the money when I saw his face when he hit the water
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Gutted for McIlroy. A monumental collapse worse than Normans against Faldo. Hitting the tree and ending up beside the cabin was final nail. He was never going to recover from a triple.
I think hes young enough to get over this set back but he has a truly horrible few years ahead of him to come to terms with last nights debacle.
Chin up Rory you'll be back.
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:Gutted for McIlroy. A monumental collapse worse than Normans against Faldo. Hitting the tree and ending up beside the cabin was final nail. He was never going to recover from a triple.
I think hes young enough to get over this set back but he has a truly horrible few years ahead of him to come to terms with last nights debacle.
Chin up Rory you'll be back.
+1, the fear is that if something similar to last night were to occur again there is the potential for a Duval/ Garcia/ A. N. (many) others type decline staring him in the face. He must avoid at all cost the temptation to start tinkering.

It was so hard to watch. The test comes in a week or a fortnight's time whether he can consign it to history.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:Gutted for McIlroy. A monumental collapse worse than Normans against Faldo.
I was thinking about whether it was worse or not last night. Norman was coming to the end of his career (as was Faldo) and had already won 2 (I think) majors. McIlory is at the start of his and this could make him or break him. What happened last night can be put down to inexperience - he has only won two tournaments (one from nowhere with a magnificent final round). Alternatively you could argue that its the second time he has failed to break 80 in a major when in a good position.

The main thing that worries me about McIlroy is that most young tyros tend to be fairly fearless with the putter. It is often the first thing to go in their game but when they start out they are normally good putters. Rory isn't a particularly good putter (I'd hate to see how many putts he missed from inside 10ft this week) and relies on the rest of his game to keep creating the opportunities. It tends to put a lot of pressure on the rest of your game though.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:Gutted for McIlroy. A monumental collapse worse than Normans against Faldo.
I was thinking about whether it was worse or not last night. Norman was coming to the end of his career (as was Faldo) and had already won 2 (I think) majors. McIlory is at the start of his and this could make him or break him. What happened last night can be put down to inexperience - he has only won two tournaments (one from nowhere with a magnificent final round). Alternatively you could argue that its the second time he has failed to break 80 in a major when in a good position.

The main thing that worries me about McIlroy is that most young tyros tend to be fairly fearless with the putter. It is often the first thing to go in their game but when they start out they are normally good putters. Rory isn't a particularly good putter (I'd hate to see how many putts he missed from inside 10ft this week) and relies on the rest of his game to keep creating the opportunities. It tends to put a lot of pressure on the rest of your game though.

It was worse than Normans, no question.

His head will be melted now but hes young enough to get over it. It could break him but i dont think it will. He's a gutsy little bugger but needs to reign in his emotions or he'll end up like petulant sergio. Accept you missed the putt, move on, have a word with yourself and make the next one.
His long game was magnificent up till the 10th on Sunday. His drive was extremely unlucky to finish where it did considering the trouble mickelson and woods always find themselves in around Augusta.
Harrington suffered for years with 2nd places and blown opportunities and it made him ultra stronger to win 3 majors. McIlroy will hopefully become a stronger player from this. One thing is for sure, he will have grown up a bit and learnt from it.
I'd still back him again to come good down the back 9 stretch of a major.
3 Gold Stars
All the way back logue
Graduate

Post by All the way back logue »

His poor putting reminds me of a great comment from Seve the year he threw away a masters with a 4 put - he was asked what happened and he replied:

“I heet the ball – I miss,
I heet the ball – I miss,
I heet the ball – it goes in”

Basically you need to accept the consequences of missing the put as long as you have put the stroke on it that you intended. Hard luck on McIlroy - 3 bad holes out of 72 wouldnt normally do so much damage to a card in any other tournament.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

All the way back logue wrote:His poor putting reminds me of a great comment from Seve the year he threw away a masters with a 4 put - he was asked what happened and he replied:

“I heet the ball – I miss,
I heet the ball – it goes in”

Basically you need to accept the consequences of missing the put as long as you have put the stroke on it that you intended. Hard luck on McIlroy - 3 bad holes out of 72 wouldnt normally do so much damage to a card in any other tournament.

Reminds me also of Seve when asked how he managed to score 7 on a par 3 at the Open, he replied 'I missed a putt for 6'.
3 Gold Stars