Barca!

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Barca!

Post by Avenger »

jezzer wrote:Pepe's studs-up "tackle" was potentially dangeous, but not actually dangerous as he didn't touch Pedro, who dived AGAIN to the deck. A yellow at worst.
Tackles like that have been outlawed because they are potential leg breakers. He is high over the ball with studs up. The red card was the correct decision regardless of whether everyone was diving or not. It was pure luck that he didn't break Pedro's ankle with that challenge. There was no need to make that tackle either as Pedro was going nowhere and he clearly went in with the intention of "doing" him.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Didn't see the match

Cannot believe that Alves was stretchered off...

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/ ... s__leg.htm
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Am I misinformed or is there not some rule about getting attention and having to leave the field of play. Does the stretcher come into this?

The diving and face holding was dreadful but Real weren't exactly fighting to stay on their feet either (the odd time they got possession).
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Avenger wrote:
jezzer wrote:Pepe's studs-up "tackle" was potentially dangeous, but not actually dangerous as he didn't touch Pedro, who dived AGAIN to the deck. A yellow at worst.
Tackles like that have been outlawed because they are potential leg breakers. He is high over the ball with studs up. The red card was the correct decision regardless of whether everyone was diving or not. It was pure luck that he didn't break Pedro's ankle with that challenge. There was no need to make that tackle either as Pedro was going nowhere and he clearly went in with the intention of "doing" him.
He won the ball and was past Alves. If he'd pulled out Alves wouldn't have been shy about following through with his studs up Pedro's thigh. I wouldn't have classed that as intent.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

ronk wrote:He won the ball and was past Alves. If he'd pulled out Alves wouldn't have been shy about following through with his studs up Pedro's thigh. I wouldn't have classed that as intent.

Doesn't look like he's past him here? His foot is high. Studs are up. Red card. Simples.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wouldn't usually be quick to say a tackle like that was bad enough to warrant a red card given that he did get the ball but I'd say Alves would have been in big trouble if he hadn't pulled his leg away at the last minute so I think it did deserve a red.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wouldn't usually be quick to say a tackle like that was bad enough to warrant a red card given that he did get the ball but I'd say Alves would have been in big trouble if he hadn't pulled his leg away at the last minute so I think it did deserve a red.
It was not an unreasonable red card and he has nothing to complain about. I do think however that Barca were very, very, well treated by the ref. I despise both Real Madrid and what they stand for and Mourinho but I was not happy last night with how Barcelona's cheating tactics were pandered to.

They really did their best to make us not want them to get through with their simulation which really does get on most people's nerves. That said, Mourinho has nothing to complain about either. Karma baby. Remember how his Porto team kicked lumps out of Deportivo on the way to the CL? And any time they got tackled they rolled around like death was immanent? His behaviour was, as always, disgraceful before and during this match. I like to think that by sending Madrid out to play like Wimbledon he earned the contempt of the RM fans and will be on his way. A failure.

By the by the wonderful and illuminating Lionel Messi should have been sent off for two yellow cards. A needless clatter in the air with no attempt to reach the ball and then a scoop of the ball on the ground at the edge of the penalty box. Glad he wasn't, but the bad grace the match was played in seemed to infect him. Which is a real shame because he makes football worth watching again.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Avenger wrote:
ronk wrote:He won the ball and was past Alves. If he'd pulled out Alves wouldn't have been shy about following through with his studs up Pedro's thigh. I wouldn't have classed that as intent.

Doesn't look like he's past him here? His foot is high. Studs are up. Red card. Simples.
Agreed. Pepe'd no intentions of getting the ball there, he wasn't even looking at the ball!!! And they should've been down to 9 men after Adebayor's body charge about 2mins later.

I think Jose has taken it too far with the Mourinho show this time and it could be the end of him. His only hope for another job now is Ferguson retiring and him getting the Man U job, lot of if's there!

PS: Off the Ball just saying Real have now lodged a complaint with UEFA about Barca. This is gonna run and run!!!
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Read a headline from the Mirror's Oliver Holt after the Man U match about how Wayne Rooney was clearly a better player than Messi.

Oliver Dolt more like!! :lol:
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Donny B. wrote:Read a headline from the Mirror's Oliver Holt after the Man U match about how Wayne Rooney was clearly a better player than Messi.

Oliver Dolt more like!! :lol:
Maybe he mean's he's more of a player?
In the colloquial
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

jezzer wrote: Barca's successes are definitely tainted by cheating, diving and more than a hint of bias towards them by refs.
Always favoured Barca over Madrid from back when Lineker played for them but not any more. The diving you always expect, but the diving added to the unprecedented pressure being put on the ref (time after time after time) was pretty sickening. At one stage there was six or seven of them, including the goalkeeper (wtf), waving imaginary cards in the referees face.

As for Pepes sending off. t was a tough call for the referee but he got it wrong.

On a side point, UEFA have been happy to turn football into a non-contact, wendyball game for cheats. Betcha they wont do anything.