Manchester United Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Manchester United Thread

Post by Logorrhea »

Avenger wrote:This hatred is much worse now than it was 20+ years ago... and I believe that Ferguson is responsible for that. He upped the ante big time in the rivalry stakes with his "f%~king perch" shite.
:shock: Eh?

Blaming Ferguson seems a bit daft, surely it was was the gizzillion trophies that have made the difference. Liverpool didnt really bother too much with the rivalry when they were winning trophies and dominating europe through the 80's. Its only when United started winning that it became a big issue. Its kinda like the Munster vs Leinster thing but not as serious :).
So you could not hear such favourites as 'Build a bonfire' and the rather odious 'we won it 3 times without killing anyone..........we won it 3 times' ?
The build a bonfire song is kinda catchy, nothing in it really (I presume you are not Liverpool born, and you dont live there), as for the rest ............. eh how frequently do you guys sing about Munich and the like?
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Logorrhea wrote:
Avenger wrote:This hatred is much worse now than it was 20+ years ago... and I believe that Ferguson is responsible for that. He upped the ante big time in the rivalry stakes with his "f%~king perch" shite.
:shock: Eh?

Blaming Ferguson seems a bit daft, surely it was was the gizzillion trophies that have made the difference. Liverpool didnt really bother too much with the rivalry when they were winning trophies and dominating europe through the 80's. Its only when United started winning that it became a big issue. Its kinda like the Munster vs Leinster thing but not as serious :).
So you could not hear such favourites as 'Build a bonfire' and the rather odious 'we won it 3 times without killing anyone..........we won it 3 times' ?
The build a bonfire song is kinda catchy, nothing in it really (I presume you are not Liverpool born, and you dont live there), as for the rest ............. eh how frequently do you guys sing about Munich and the like?

With the greatest respect Logs' dear boy you just don't understand the rivalry, let alone the history of both clubs and fans. Blaming Slur Alex isn't as daft as you seem to think. He's been full of spite and bitterness since Liverpool manshamed his Aberdeen boys in a European Cup match.

And if you think it only 'became an issue when UTD started winning things' then I suggest you google or youtube the infamous semi final at Maine Road. And it is nothing like Leinster V Munster me aul china.

You think 'Bonfire' is catchy, but you don't offer an opinion on '3 times' ?

I or other supporters I know never have or ever will sing about Munich but I will say this...in a popular pub in Liverpool early 90s a young lad tried to get the song going but was roundly shut up. I never hear it sung.

The first game at Old Trafford directly after hillsborough the whole ground were up singing and waving in unison to the chorus of 'LIVERPOOL 95 LIVERPOOL 95'. Ill repeat that.......the whole ground.

Chas N Dave ballads it most certainly aint guv' :wink:
3 Gold Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:You think 'Bonfire' is catchy, but you don't offer an opinion on '3 times' ?
Its disgusting. Same as the spurs fans singing about Sol Campbell, the Liverpool or City fans singing about Munich, the London fans hissing at spurs fans, and the United fans calling Wenger certain names at old trafford. The thing is it doesnt suprise me, as every set of fans do it and celebrate the fact that they do it as a group. The facts are they all contain equally repulsive elements so I find it amusing when one side tried to take the moral high ground as you two seem to be doing here.

Have little interest in the detail. As far as I'm concerned the rivalry is as pathetic as any other rivalry between clubs, especially when claimed by people with no direct links to the region.
Sauvignon Blank wrote:I or other supporters I know never have or ever will sing about Munich but I will say this...in a popular pub in Liverpool early 90s a young lad tried to get the song going but was roundly shut up. I never hear it sung.
Eh .................. Spirit of Shankly end of year bash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlHMyp_jIyw : I think it was two years ago.
Metal
Bookworm

Post by Metal »

Sh1te getting thrown on United fans in Anfield last season never happened...
Alan Smiths ambulance wasn't attacked coming out of Anfield after his horrific leg break....
Fans in Anfield never sing about Munich or do Aeroplane impressions...
Liverpool fans didn't cause tens of thousands of £'s worth of damage at Old Trafford that LFC were forced to pay United in compensation...

All of the above were made up by Sir Alex Ferguson in his vain attempt to draw LFC into a petty fight so they would take their eyes off the ball while United strolled to Number 19... :D
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Any recommendations for a decent place to watch the Barcelona match in Limerick??
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

Should be on the big screen in Dolans, I will be heading straight in once the final whistle blows. Nancy Blakes would be another good place to watch it, they have plenty of large TVs dotted around the place to watch it
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LOR1s16rn4

Well in Mascherano.

The look on Dot Cottons face in the studio :lol: :lol:
3 Gold Stars
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Bosco wrote:Should be on the big screen in Dolans, I will be heading straight in once the final whistle blows. Nancy Blakes would be another good place to watch it, they have plenty of large TVs dotted around the place to watch it
Parked up at the Ardhú pre match and had lovely burgers.......headed straight back there after the game and got great vantage points for the Barca/Unireh match. Good spot, shall be our regular spot for future Thomond Park trips.

Well done "Damohack" for organising the boogie bus from Wickla........... :happy clapper:
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Is the final going to be repeated on Sky Sports this week. Wouldn't mind getting a look at it.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So long Sheasy. Gutted he's left tbh. :(
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:So long Sheasy. Gutted he's left tbh. :(
Wes Orange too and thats a lot of experience gone. But they are well covered with Rio, Vidic, Smalling, Jones and Evans.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:So long Sheasy. Gutted he's left tbh. :(
Great servant to United and an all round decent fella by all accounts. Sunderland have done a very good bit of business.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

David Moyes. Discuss...
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Avenger wrote:David Moyes. Discuss...
As a Liverpool supporter I think it is imperative that he stays!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Armchair wrote:
As a Liverpool supporter I think it is imperative that he stays!!!
I agree.
Four more Years!
Four more Years!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

50/1 yesterday to be the next prem manager to get the heave-ho.

Evens and favourite now.

Bring back Fergie!!!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Moyes hasn't exactly gotten the best out of that team, but f%~k me there are some seriously average players in that squad. How many of the players Moyes is expected to work with would get into the first teams of other top-tier clubs?

Moyes could go but the problems would still remain if you ask me.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:Moyes hasn't exactly gotten the best out of that team, but f%~k me there are some seriously average players in that squad. How many of the players Moyes is expected to work with would get into the first teams of other top-tier clubs?

I think what Logo is trying to say here is.... 4 more yrs!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Logorrhea wrote:Moyes hasn't exactly gotten the best out of that team, but f%~k me there are some seriously average players in that squad. How many of the players Moyes is expected to work with would get into the first teams of other top-tier clubs?

True. But Ferguson had players of similar ability(Anderson, Park, Saha, Old Scholes, Nani, Valencia, Carrick) and still got the trophies. How many quality players do Chelsea or Liverpool have?

To answer your question(starters and bench options): IMO Rooney, RVP, Mata and possibly de Gea.

I think their biggest problem is a defensive leader at centre half. Evans and Smalling won't last another season IMO and the others are too old. Instead he's signed Mata and this years Andy Carroll - Fellaini!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I think Ferguson's biggest strength was the belief that he instilled into his team. He made them winners. Moyes doesn't seem to have this ability with this squad. He probably changed too much and should have kept some of Ferguson's back room staff in place until he had found his feet.

From a squad perspective, I think they need two CBs, a LB, a CM/DM. RVP doesn't look like he's very committed in any of the games I've seen him and I'd cash in on him while they can. Move Rooney up top and play Mata in the hole where he can do what he does best. Mata is not a winger/wide player.

As for other teams, LFC have one world class player and a number who have a lot of potential. Chelsea have a number of very good players and they are not afraid to go out and spend money either. Other than a top striker, they are fairly well set.