The comic thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

The comic thread

Post by Peg Leg »

I've got my tickets and can't wait!!

Not to sure of the Bat mobile pics released today!!!

Joel Schumachery.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Skinfull
Mullet

Re: Batman Live

Post by Skinfull »

No responses huh? So... can this be the new random thread? Its been a while and its summer hiatus time... :D
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Would it be too nerdy if somebody started off a comics/superhero thread? It seems Skinful, Dave Cahill, Peg Leg, Broken Wing and Terenure Jim are among the number of comics readers on here.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

RoboProp wrote:Would it be too nerdy if somebody started off a comics/superhero thread? It seems Skinful, Dave Cahill, Peg Leg, Broken Wing and Terenure Jim are among the number of comics readers on here.
Good idea.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Skinfull wrote:No responses huh? So... can this be the new random thread? Its been a while and its summer hiatus time... :D
But it had such potential!!

Purple Monkey dishwasher it is so....
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote:Would it be too nerdy if somebody started off a comics/superhero thread? It seems Skinful, Dave Cahill, Peg Leg, Broken Wing and Terenure Jim are among the number of comics readers on here.
I would participate in such a venture!
Daniel Sullivan
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

I also condone this product or message... We could just retitle this one... ?
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Peg Leg wrote:
Skinfull wrote:No responses huh? So... can this be the new random thread? Its been a while and its summer hiatus time... :D
But it had such potential!!

Purple Monkey dishwasher it is so....
Agreed on the potential. I saw this advertised in the Odessy Arena in Belfast earlier this year and trifled with the idea of going but I think it would have been car crash tv, so to speak. Seemingly Spidey isn't doin too well on the stage either.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Skinfull wrote:I also condone this product or message... We could just retitle this one... ?
+ 1 on the re-title. I'd also vote for a humours teeshirt thread (pictures and website recomends) to be started for the silly season who's with me?
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

On the comics theme, and despite my cynicism last week, I picked up the 1st two issues of Flashpoint which is the DC reboot thing. It's a 5 issue miniseries and it's clear that it'll end with the reboot rather than it being the first steps in the reboot universe. Well, clear in that plotlines would be very limited otherwise.

Flashpoint is, naturally, spread across 17 gazillion titles over the next couple of months but it seems a bit of a waste if they're just going to go back in time and reset everything.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Count me in. I'm looking for recommendations as i've only recently gotten back into comics. Was a big Punisher fan when I was younger.
Downloaded the comixology app for Android and am currently working my way through the Legends of the Dark Knight series. Really enjoying it. Favourite so far is the Prey series with Hugo Strange is my favourite so far.

as a side note, looking forward to Strange now in Arkham City. :D
I am the one who knocks!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ruck wrote:
Count me in. I'm looking for recommendations as i've only recently gotten back into comics. Was a big Punisher fan when I was younger.
Downloaded the comixology app for Android and am currently working my way through the Legends of the Dark Knight series. Really enjoying it. Favourite so far is the Prey series with Hugo Strange is my favourite so far.

as a side note, looking forward to Strange now in Arkham City. :D

Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman Starman
I have Bumbleflex
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

ruck wrote:Downloaded the comixology app for Android and am currently working my way through the Legends of the Dark Knight series. Really enjoying it. Favourite so far is the Prey series with Hugo Strange is my favourite so far.
Do they charge for the issues on the app or how does it work? (Wow, I'm lazy.)

I have that Prey storyline at home along with a hundred or so LOTDKs. Surprised it never made a TPB as it was easily one of the best storylines.

Following Dave's subtle recommendation I picked up the first volume of Starman. Good stuff.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

They charge per comic on comixology, which i've no issue with. Each LOTDK comic comes in at $1.99.

Does anyone know if Starman is any good? :lol:
I am the one who knocks!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

ruck wrote:They charge per comic on comixology, which i've no issue with.
I've no problem with that either. I was just curious as to how it worked.

I may have recommended this before but if not Fables is really good.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Just looked up Starman on Comixology, they only seem to have Starman Volume 2.
DC - Would I be lost if I started with that, or is would I be ok? I think it's the original Starman's son is forced into the roll, but would i need the history of the first?
I am the one who knocks!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ruck wrote:Just looked up Starman on Comixology, they only seem to have Starman Volume 2.
DC - Would I be lost if I started with that, or is would I be ok? I think it's the original Starman's son is forced into the roll, but would i need the history of the first?

Nope,you can read it without knowing anything about Starman at all. In fact, its the best way to start because its so utterly utterly brilliantly written.
I have Bumbleflex
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

But, but, but, volume 1 is where he (reluctantly) takes on the role and says he won't be wearing the costume and his enemies gather....

I knew nothing about the old/other Starmen when I read it and, though it mentioned past enemies, there was no back story needed.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Broken Wing wrote:But, but, but, volume 1 is where he (reluctantly) takes on the role and says he won't be wearing the costume and his enemies gather....

I knew nothing about the old/other Starmen when I read it and, though it mentioned past enemies, there was no back story needed.
I think we're getting our volumes mixed up.

Starman - Ted Knight - 1940s on- member of the JSA - no associated volume numbers

Starman - Will Payton - 80s reboot - unconnected (until mid-volume 2) to Ted Knight - called Volume 1 by DC Comics

Starman - Jack Knight - son of Ted, brother of David - called Volume 2 by DC Comics

The one you're reading is the same one I recommended to Ruck. Its really good, isn't it.
I have Bumbleflex
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Sorry, confusion is my fault.

I have Volume 1 of the collected editions of Jack Knight as Starman, so it's volume 1 of volume 2.
Pro 12 Champions 14!