The Gaming Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

The Gaming Thread

Post by TerenureJim »

Apologies if there's another thread out there but I assume there are a few posters who enjoy wasting their free time on the PS3/XBox/PC so with Christmas releases now upon us just wondering what people are thinking of getting...

I think Batman Arkham City may be one for myself and maybe Modern Warfare 3. Dead Island also looks might tempting.

Had to avoid Fallout New Vegas last year as any purchase of that would have led to rickets due to lack of sunlight & vitamin d.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Gaming Thread

Post by ruck »

Think there's an xbox thread, but no harm in an overall gaming thread.
I'm still working my way through Batman Arkham City. Just trying to get enough Riddler trophies to unlock the last Riddler mission and then I'm done. Great game though. One again, Mark Hamill is just brilliant as the Joker.
Fallout New Vegas wasn't half as enjoyable for me as Fallout 3 was though, good game, but not a great game.

Of the recent new releases, i've played:
Gear of War 3: A great end to a fantastic series. A proper ending too, no cliffhanger just in case.
Forza 4 : Best racing simulator out there. Great fun and stunning graphics.
Batman Arkham City: See above. Great game. Not quite as brilliant as Arkham Aslyum, but still great.

So that leaves my shopping list for the next few months as follows:
Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Edler Scrolls: Skyrim, Assassin's Creed Revelations.

I'm hoping Skyrim will be big enough to get me through until the launch of Mass Effect 3, but I doubt it. I do clock up some serious hours in gaming.
I am the one who knocks!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Currently playing Battlefield 3 (PC). Dont see the need to consider other games at this point.
Blåränderna
Graduate

Post by Blåränderna »

I'm a FIFA nut so FIFA 12 is taking over my gaming world. Can't wait to hit up MW3 and Battlefield 3 too though. But simply not enough hours in the day.
Hacker G
Knowledgeable

Post by Hacker G »

ruck wrote:I'm hoping Skyrim will be big enough to get me through until the launch of Mass Effect 3, but I doubt it. I do clock up some serious hours in gaming.
When is Skyrim out?
Oblivion was a savage game!
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Hacker G wrote:
ruck wrote:I'm hoping Skyrim will be big enough to get me through until the launch of Mass Effect 3, but I doubt it. I do clock up some serious hours in gaming.
When is Skyrim out?
Oblivion was a savage game!
11/11/11 Looks pretty impressive from the trailers.
BOD is GOD!
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Skyrim is this friday. And I reckon once that is purchased I will only come out for air when Leinster is playing. Looks Amazing!!!

Almost finished InFamous 2 and its been brilliant fun. Way better development than the first game but has a steeper learning curve (not the worst complaint) and then more satisfaction. Fast Travel option came way too late in the came imo but still class fun.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Hmmmm. Wait for Skyrim on Friday, Assassin's Creed Revelations on Tuesday or buy MW3 now?
Decisions, decisions.
I am the one who knocks!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

ruck wrote:Hmmmm. Wait for Skyrim on Friday, Assassin's Creed Revelations on Tuesday or buy MW3 now?
Decisions, decisions.
Assassin's Creed Revelations for me, such a free flowing platformer and I'm more of a fan of the 3rd person perspective as I find the 1st person viewpoint of MW, Battlefield, Resistance etc can prove headache inducing following prolonged exposure of 3 hours plus in one sitting.

That said I loved the first Resistance game and Killzone II. Anyone played Resistance 3? Any use?

Used to also be a big C&C fan back in the day, that and Age of Empires II & III were top notch. Shame they both dropped off the radar.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

I've been sent home from work sick. I can play MW3 from my bed if I go purchase it before sleeping for a couple of hours.
Think i may have to do it.
I am the one who knocks!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Rather surprised about the lack of.. well, anything being posted here about Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

For me, it's the only new game I'm bothering with this month. I'm going in with no spoilers before hand, so it's encouraging that it's got such high scores in the reviews so far.
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ruck wrote:I've been sent home from work sick. I can play MW3 from my bed if I go purchase it before sleeping for a couple of hours.
Think i may have to do it.

Purchased just now. I may even open it this year.
I have Bumbleflex
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

5 hours and I've finished the whole game. Meh.
I am the one who knocks!
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

It's feckin' insane the amount of games that have come out over the course of a month or so.

Uncharted 3
Arkham City
Dark Souls
Skyrim
Skyward Sword
MW3
Battlefield 3
AC: Revalations
Saints Row 3

Not sure if I'm missing any.
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

I have just finished Assasins Creed(the first one) playing the new Deus Ex game now, must pick up Assasins Creed II now :D
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Gawd!!1 Finsihed Infamous 2 already and Skyrim isnt out until friday!!! >_< *First World Problems!
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Can't wait for Skyrim. Have today off work so playing GOW3 at moment. Would have had it finished sooner but LadyProp was too busy playing Dragon Age 2 so couldn't get near console. Drove her dolally with backseat gaming too. "Heal, fireball, what are you doing you have no rogue and no tank in your party!"

Finding the squad AI in GOW3 frustrating...especially since you know who bought the farm!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Skinfull wrote:Gawd!!1 Finsihed Infamous 2 already and Skyrim isnt out until friday!!! >_< *First World Problems!
Was Infamous 2 any decent, was quite tempted by Infamous and Prototype when they both first came out but never got around to a purchase. Might it be time for me to invest in a sequel?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

One for the older gamers. Not dated at all! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UvL6jXMOFA
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

I've just finished a game called 'The Saboteur'. Its about an Irish fella who works for the French resistance during the nazi occupation of Paris in WW2. Really good game with a film noire feel. One game I got hooked on was 'Heavy Rain' - really slow to start with but a great story. Kind of like playing in a movie.