General GAA thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: General GAA thread

Post by the spoofer »

suisse wrote:I see Meath beat Wickla on Sunday. Should be smooth sailing to Croker now in September.
Ye will have to get by Longford after we beat Wexford and then the Dubs or Louth.
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

I can't see Longford beating Wexford in the replay so Wexford will face Dublin in semi and Dublin will win to prob make it a Dublin V Kildare / Meath final. Hopefully Kildare as that would be a very good close game.
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Donald wrote:I can't see Longford beating Wexford in the replay so Wexford will face Dublin in semi and Dublin will win to prob make it a Dublin V Kildare / Meath final. Hopefully Kildare as that would be a very good close game.
I wasnt at all hopeful before last Sundays match but I fully expect Longford to beat Wexford this Sunday.

I have heard pundits say that Wexford have more room to improve but Longford did not play near to their potential last week. Having said that, the prize of playing the Dubs is a bit of a poisoned chalice.
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

Not a great weekend for us yellabellies, losing to Offaly on Saturday in a game we should have won (mind you, the qualifiers seem to have been kind to us - hopefully!)and then drawing with Longford due to a dodgy free awarded when we failed to keep the ball in injury time having gone ahead. But if we do lose in the replay good luck to Longford against the mighty Blues!
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

Donald wrote:I can't see Longford beating Wexford in the replay so Wexford will face Dublin in semi and Dublin will win to prob make it a Dublin V Kildare / Meath final. Hopefully Kildare as that would be a very good close game.
Meath have to beat Carlow first. Ony 2 points in it at HT
elfan
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

yellabelly1961 wrote:Not a great weekend for us yellabellies, losing to Offaly on Saturday in a game we should have won (mind you, the qualifiers seem to have been kind to us - hopefully!)and then drawing with Longford due to a dodgy free awarded when we failed to keep the ball in injury time having gone ahead. But if we do lose in the replay good luck to Longford against the mighty Blues!
Forget about the wendyball, that was a great game between Longford and Wexford. Well done to ye yellowbellys, we should have had you dead and buried but we blew it.

Best of luck in the semis against the Dubs.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Fair play to Meath. Didn't expect anything out of them today but their young players were fearless and Kildare flattered to deceive once again.

Do any Kildare fans on here think McGeeney makes too many changes? They have some good forwards but they never seem to play at the same time.
dave13
Bookworm

Post by dave13 »

Was very impressed with some young Meath players today Forde,Carroll, Menton and especially Gillespie. Was nice to see a Meath midfield again.
Kildare really over elaborate, at times it was like watching Spain, a lot of passing 40 yards out but no one willing to take a shot.
Final should be decent, would expect Dublin to pick a lot from that game, if Wexford could take their free's they would have lost
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Incredible start in the Galway Kilkenny match
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Fair focks to Galway, serious performance. Kilkenny seemed completely stunned.

Could be quite an interesting championship.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Well done to Galway. Worthy winners.
If only they would back that up with another few performances but I've a feeling it'll just be another one off.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I guess this win for Galway means that Athenry is actually in Leinster?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Thought the ref let Galway play a very physical game. In a way it's just KK getting a bit of their own medicine back, but they're usually a bit more subtle and selective about it than Galway were. Fair f*cks to them, they were absolutely worth their win, but not every ref would have let them away with the physical stuff.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:I guess this win for Galway means that Athenry is actually in Leinster?
:lol:

That could become a chant!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

The Tipp half back line are a savage group altogether.....awesomely strong and great stickwork too.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Gutted for Westmeath. That close to stealing upset of the week from Antrim. Despite losing the lads can walk around with their heads held high after today.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Broken Wing wrote:Gutted for Westmeath. That close to stealing upset of the week from Antrim. Despite losing the lads can walk around with their heads held high after today.
They remind me of Sligo in 2009 and remember what Kerry did after that :shock:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Broken Wing wrote:Gutted for Westmeath. That close to stealing upset of the week from Antrim. Despite losing the lads can walk around with their heads held high after today.
Was in contact with a mate from Kerry earlier who lives local and was in Cusack Pk today.......said she was hoarse from shouting.....appears to have been a real close run thing alright....
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Kilkenny/Limerick v Tipp
Cork/Waterford v Galway

I was hoping Kilkenny would draw Cork.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

All-Ireland SFC Qualifier Round Three:
Kildare V Limerick
Tipperary V Antrim
Kerry V Tyrone
Leitrim V Laois

All-Ireland SFC Qualifier Round Four:
Kildare / Limerick V Sligo
Tipperary / Antrim V Donegal / Down