LEINSTER LIONS 2013

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

LEINSTER LIONS 2013

Post by backrower8 »

After the HEC Final win I think the following are the players who will be in the frame for the Lions:

Healy (Test possible)
Strauss (Test possible)
Ross (3rd of three TH props)
SOB (Test possible)
Jamie (Test possible)
Sexton (Test probable)
BOD(Test possible)
Luke
Rob (Test probable)

My guess on the Test XV and dirt trekker teams as of now:

Healy Jenkins
Strauss Best
Jones Cole
Gray AWJ
O'Connell Ian Jones (who will push POC hard)/ Parling
SOB (best position) Lydiate/ Ferris (I fear injury will shorten career sooner rather than later)
Warburton Rennie
Faletau Heaslip

Phillips Murray
Sexton Priestland/ Farrell
North Luke (Earls too small in my view)
Roberts S Williams (a guess)
BOD J Davies (Tuilagi will always be a loose cannon)
Bowe Cuthbert
Kearney Foden/ Halfpenny/ Hogg - ridiculous abundance of riches!!
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Re: LEINSTER LIONS 2013

Post by Vamos los azules »

backrower8 wrote:After the HEC Final win I think the following are the players who will be in the frame for the Lions:

Healy (Test possible)
Strauss (Test possible)
SOB (Test possible)
Jamie (Test possible)
Sexton (Test probable)
BOD(Test possible)
Luke
Rob (Test probable)

Healy Jenkins
Strauss Best
Jones Cole
Gray AWJ
SOB (best position) Lydiate/ Ferris (I fear injury will shorten career sooner rather than later)
Warburton Rennie
Faletau Heaslip

Phillips Murray
Bowe Cuthbert
We still have a whole year to wait - but what the heck, I'm always willing to talk Lions.

On the Leinster players - I'd be surprised if Strauss was ahead of Cronin for Ireland if Deccie is still in charge so I don't think he'll be on a Lions tour ahead of Cronin. Luke will also need to have a spectacular season next season to get himself back into the reckoning.

On the non Irish players - I'd take Tipuric ahead of Rennie. If Warburton is as injury prone next season he'll be the Welsh number 7 anyway but even if he is number 2 to Warburton for his country he's probably the second best 7 from all 4 countries.

If Morgan continues to improve the way he did this season I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the mix.

I'd like to see Denton in there but given that he has been playing 6 for Edinburgh and 8 for Scotland if he does the same next season that might not be in his favour.

For a free running, off-loading back row Denton, Tipuric, Morgan could be a lot of fun to watch.

The idea of Priestland as the Lions OH upsets me if he stays in the same form as this year. Farrell is over-rated. If I was going to have an English OH I'd have Flood, with Halfpenny on the wing taking kicking duties and Bowe on the bench.

And Tim Visser becomes Scottish in a couple of weeks. If he performs at international level he's the right size and shape to appeal to Gatland.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Vamos los azules wrote:
backrower8 wrote:After the HEC Final win I think the following are the players who will be in the frame for the Lions:

Healy (Test possible)
Strauss (Test possible)
SOB (Test possible)
Jamie (Test possible)
Sexton (Test probable)
BOD(Test possible)
Luke
Rob (Test probable)

Healy Jenkins
Strauss Best
Jones Cole
Gray AWJ
Warburton Rennie
Faletau Heaslip

Phillips Murray
Bowe Cuthbert
We still have a whole year to wait - but what the heck, I'm always willing to talk Lions.

On the Leinster players - I'd be surprised if Strauss was ahead of Cronin for Ireland if Deccie is still in charge so I don't think he'll be on a Lions tour ahead of Cronin. Luke will also need to have a spectacular season next season to get himself back into the reckoning.

On the non Irish players - I'd take Tipuric ahead of Rennie. If Warburton is as injury prone next season he'll be the Welsh number 7 anyway but even if he is number 2 to Warburton for his country he's probably the second best 7 from all 4 countries.

If Morgan continues to improve the way he did this season I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the mix.

I'd like to see Denton in there but given that he has been playing 6 for Edinburgh and 8 for Scotland if he does the same next season that might not be in his favour.

For a free running, off-loading back row Denton, Tipuric, Morgan could be a lot of fun to watch.

The idea of Priestland as the Lions OH upsets me if he stays in the same form as this year. Farrell is over-rated. If I was going to have an English OH I'd have Flood, with Halfpenny on the wing taking kicking duties and Bowe on the bench.

And Tim Visser becomes Scottish in a couple of weeks. If he performs at international level he's the right size and shape to appeal to Gatland.

Velly intellesting!
pete (on eirne)
Bookworm

Post by pete (on eirne) »

My Lions team:

Healy-Best-Jones
Gray-POC
SOB-Denton-Rennie
Youngs-Sexton
Roberts-BOD
North-Kearney-Visser

Strauss-Jenkins-Corbiserio-Jones-Warburton-Philips-Flood-Bowe
MrsYetiGoose
Beginner

Post by MrsYetiGoose »

After Gatlands official nomination as coach, how many Leinster players will he pick on current form? Begging letters in a stamped addressed envelope to: Mr. Nice Guy Gatland, c/o Wales somewhere stating,
Dear Warren (can I call you Warren?), I have been a devoted follower of the wonderful things you have done with that ragtag outfit, oops sorry, super rugby team in Wales. Please remember how well you were treated as Irish coach all those years ago, well maybe not! Look we are only asking that you include at least one Irish player (preferably Leinster as we are the bestest) in the Lions squad. I'm sure that aside from the entire Welsh squad and any other half baked hillmen you can find in outer Llandethloncalweltathlowbenwickfullbladdereweoldmanssocks, you might just see your way to maybe thinking of the likes of Johnny Sexton who might just add a little extra to your wonderful choices. Yours in hope (or desperation).
Something along those lines! :?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

MrsYetiGoose wrote:After Gatlands official nomination as coach, how many Leinster players will he pick on current form? Begging letters in a stamped addressed envelope to: Mr. Nice Guy Gatland, c/o Wales somewhere stating,
Dear Warren (can I call you Warren?), I have been a devoted follower of the wonderful things you have done with that ragtag outfit, oops sorry, super rugby team in Wales. Please remember how well you were treated as Irish coach all those years ago, well maybe not! Look we are only asking that you include at least one Irish player (preferably Leinster as we are the bestest) in the Lions squad. I'm sure that aside from the entire Welsh squad and any other half baked hillmen you can find in outer Llandethloncalweltathlowbenwickfullbladdereweoldmanssocks, you might just see your way to maybe thinking of the likes of Johnny Sexton who might just add a little extra to your wonderful choices. Yours in hope (or desperation).
Something along those lines! :?
Front Row: Healy is probably the only one who'll travel. Strauss will either need to supplant Rory Best as Ireland's first choice or have a stupendous season with Leinster. Ross will only travel if there are injuries IMO.

Second Row: none

Back Row: Lot of competition in this area. Assuming he comes back fighting fit SOB's versatility should get him selected although it might make it hard for him to get a test spot. Heaslip needs a good season with Leinster and Ireland.

Scrum-half: Highly unlikely.

Fly-half: Johnny Sexton should travel and has a good chance at the test spot.

Centres: If BOD remains fit, he should do enough to travel.

Back three: Only Rob looks a likely candidate right now. Needs to improve on defence though.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Reuters) - The 2013 Super Rugby season will kick off with more of a whimper than a bang, with only Australian sides contesting the competition's opening round due to a clash with the British and Irish Lions' tour Down Under.

The Lions' nine-match tour in June and July includes matches against all five of the Australian Super Rugby sides along with three fixtures against the Wallabies, meaning staggered rest periods throughout the southern hemisphere provincial tournament, which runs from February to August.

The opening weekend of the 15-team competition will feature only two Australian derbies, with the Melbourne Rebels hosting the Perth-based Western Force (February 15) and the Canberra-based ACT Brumbies taking on the Queensland Reds at home the following evening.

The other teams from South Africa and New Zealand have to wait until the following weekend, barring the seven-time champion Crusaders who have a bye and won't play their first match until March 1 when they travel to Auckland to take on the Blues.

The Australian teams all take a break from Super Rugby from mid-June to allow for the Wallabies' matches against the Lions on June 22, 29 and July 6.

The break does not align with the June test window set down for South Africa and New Zealand, meaning another weekend featuring only Australian derbies on June 7-8.

"The Lions tour to Australia presented some unique challenges in preparing the 2013 Super Rugby draw," Greg Peters, chief of the competition's governing body SANZAR, said in a statement on Friday.

"We are very appreciative of cooperation we received from the national unions and broadcasters in preparing this draw and working through the issues."

The 2013 season will also see the debut of the Eastern Cape-based Southern Kings who replace the relegated Lions in the South African conference after the Johannesburg-based team finished last in 2012.

The Kings, who bid to join the competition last year but were overlooked in favour of the Rebels, play their first match against Force on February 23 at their home Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth.

The defending champion Chiefs open their tournament with a New Zealand derby away to the Otago Highlanders on February 22.

The season concludes with a three-week playoffs series starting July 19 and culminating with the final on August 3. (Reporting by Ian Ransom in Melbourne; Editing by Amlan Chakraborty)
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Well now we know who's on the plane: Rob, Jamie, Seanie, Cian and, of course, BOD. Mike Ross and to a lesser extent Ian Madigan wll be perceived as the unlucky ones there. Personnaly I think that D'Arcy is has been unlucky not to be considered for this and the South African tours.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

artaneboy wrote:Well now we know who's on the plane: Rob, Jamie, Seanie, Cian and, of course, BOD. Mike Ross and to a lesser extent Ian Madigan wll be perceived as the unlucky ones there. Personnaly I think that D'Arcy is has been unlucky not to be considered for this and the South African tours.
You forgot Sexton.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

po
Broken Wing wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Well now we know who's on the plane: Rob, Jamie, Seanie, Cian and, of course, BOD. Mike Ross and to a lesser extent Ian Madigan wll be perceived as the unlucky ones there. Personnaly I think that D'Arcy is has been unlucky not to be considered for this and the South African tours.
You forgot Sexton.
:shock: :shock: Oh dear!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I know Jonny is still a Leinster player but when does his contract officially end? If it is the end of May then he may be a Racing player by the time the Tour starts???
Four Stars
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Lar wrote:I know Jonny is still a Leinster player but when does his contract officially end? If it is the end of May then he may be a Racing player by the time the Tour starts???
Jonny is listed in the Lions squad as a Leinster player. It was his performances for Leinster and Ireland that earned him his spot.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

No issue with that - was being pedantic.
Four Stars
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Post by Ultra Vires »

Squad
Backs: Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Rob Kearney (Ireland), Tommy Bowe (Ireland), Alex Cuthbert (Wales), Sean Maitland (Scotland), George North (Wales), Jonathan Davies (Wales), Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Manu Tuilagi (England), Owen Farrell (England), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Conor Murray (Ireland), Mike Phillips (Wales), Ben Youngs (England).

Forwards: Dan Cole (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Gethin Jenkins (Wales), Adam Jones (Wales), Matt Stevens (England), Mako Vunipola (England), Dylan Hartley (England), Richard Hibbard (Wales), Tom Youngs (England), Ian Evans (Wales), Richie Gray (Scotland), Alun-Wyn Jones (Wales), Paul O'Connell (Ireland), Geoff Parling (England), Tom Croft (England), Toby Faletau (Wales), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland), Dan Lydiate (Wales), Sean O'Brien (Ireland), Justin Tipuric (Wales), Sam Warburton (Wales).

I reckon that barring injuries (and there will be some) Gatland will pick the following for the test team:

15 Halfpenny
14 Bowe
13 BOD
12 Roberts
11 North
10 Sexton
9 Phillips
8 Faletau
7 Warburton
6 Croft
5 Gray
4 Parling
3 Jones
2 Hartley
1 Healy

7 Welsh, 4 Irish, 3 English, 1 Scottish. Might even sneak POC into the first XV.
The Bird is the Word
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

My back-row would be
6. SOB
8. Heaslip
7. Tupuric

3 floor merchants with broken field running ability. Heaslip is a great lineout option too.

The rest of the team picks itself IMO-
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Post by Ultra Vires »

Peg Leg wrote:My back-row would be
6. SOB
8. Heaslip
7. Tupuric

3 floor merchants with broken field running ability. Heaslip is a great lineout option too.

The rest of the team picks itself IMO-
Yeah but given he's picked Warburton as captain he'll have to be in there... You're right though, Tupuric is a better player. But Warburton is Gattys "boy".
The Bird is the Word
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Looks like

Test
6 Lydiate/SOB
7 Warburton
8 Heaslip

20 SOB/Lydiate

Midweek
6 Croft
7 Tipuric
8 Faletau

Lydiate/SOB

Vaguely like that.

2 welsh flankers + Heaslip or 2 Irish back row + Warburton.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:Looks like

Test
6 Lydiate/SOB
7 Warburton
8 Heaslip

20 SOB/Lydiate

Midweek
6 Croft
7 Tipuric
8 Faletau

Lydiate/SOB

Vaguely like that.

2 welsh flankers + Heaslip or 2 Irish back row + Warburton.
Many on here are thinking

Lydiate/Tipuric
Warburton
Faletau

with SOB on the bench.
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote: Many on here are thinking
Evidently they are not..... At all.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: Many on here are thinking
Evidently they are not..... At all.
Ultra Vires wrote: 8 Faletau
7 Warburton
6 Croft
Golf Man wrote: For the tests

DL/SW/TF
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

Back row: choosing two blindsides who have been out for such a long time doesn't make sense to me. One is fine but not two. I reckon he's already made up his mind that Croft/Lydiate will provide a line out option at 6 and that SOB will cover on the bench.
Exley wrote: Warburton
Tipuric
Faletau
Warren Gatland wrote: Warburton
Tipuric
Faletau
Well, some people on this and other threads!
Daniel Sullivan