Ryder Cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

All the way back logue
Graduate

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by All the way back logue »

watched faldo in the opening ceremony through my fingers - its obvious he's feeling the pressure but that was just about the worst speech ive ever heard - hopefully he comes across better in team meetings?

there didnt seem to be a great athmosphere there by any means - lots of empty chairs etc and the crowd was very quiet - maybe its a reflection of their level of interest in the ryder cup??

europe pairings look really strong
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

All the way back logue wrote: there didnt seem to be a great athmosphere there by any means - lots of empty chairs etc and the crowd was very quiet - maybe its a reflection of their level of interest in the ryder cup??
Maybe the usual good, great and "wealthy" patrons were looking for the nearest bridge or skyscraper.... :twisted:
T - 45
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

Excellent Harrington one up. Go on Harro!
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

If Karlsson and Stenson perform well today, tomorrows headlines might read....

Scandanavian Heaven in Valhalla ...
T - 45
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Beaten by the better team over the weekend. Our big players never got going and some of the American play was spectacular. Kim and Weekly in particular. It was nice to see Kenny Perry do well given that he had built his entire season around qualifying and he sees it as a closing chapter in his career.

Faldo didn't impress me but I don't think he posseses any people or leadership skills. I cannot fault his pick of Poulter even though I was critical of it at the time.
A proud Winsome Fluter
All the way back logue
Graduate

I dont agree with some commentators who are holding Faldo responsible. There comes a time when you have to hold your hand up and say you were beaten by a better team - the US havent played like that in Ryder Cup for a long time and completely deserved the victory. Some of the scoring was incredible and I think Europe did well to remain in contention for as long as they did.

Harrington looks like a man who cant wait for the season to be over while Garcia was like a spoilt kid at times in the singles. Very disappointed with Stenson aswell. Huge credit to Poulter, Rose, McDowell and Karrlsson.

Quote of the week has to go to Weekley when asked if that was his best experience ever...he replied "well it aint nuthin like shootin a deer".
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

All the way back logue wrote:I dont agree with some commentators who are holding Faldo responsible. There comes a time when you have to hold your hand up and say you were beaten by a better team - the US havent played like that in Ryder Cup for a long time and completely deserved the victory. Some of the scoring was incredible and I think Europe did well to remain in contention for as long as they did.

Harrington looks like a man who cant wait for the season to be over while Garcia was like a spoilt kid at times in the singles. Very disappointed with Stenson aswell. Huge credit to Poulter, Rose, McDowell and Karrlsson.

Quote of the week has to go to Weekley when asked if that was his best experience ever...he replied "well it aint nuthin like shootin a deer".
Yup, can't blame Faldo. Can blame Harrington and Garcia, who contributed nothing in terms of points or leadership.

This was a good US team, and you have to think that a US Ryder Cup without Tiger is a better team than one with him. Mickelson and Perry in particular looked more composed and better senior player leaders than they might have done with Tiger around, imposing his rules and his persona on the weekend.
Skyhawk
Mullet

Post by Skyhawk »

The American golfing fans have yet again proved their obnoxious qualities........generally they are neither gracious in victory or defeat. They have about as much integrity and etiquette as the common street criminal.
Skyhawk
Mullet

Post by Skyhawk »

The American team played the better golf and deserve their victory.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Skyhawk wrote:The American golfing fans have yet again proved their obnoxious qualities........generally they are neither gracious in victory or defeat. They have about as much integrity and etiquette as the common street criminal.

Agreed, but pantomime characters such Weekley do little to help the situation
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Skyhawk wrote:The American golfing fans have yet again proved their obnoxious qualities........generally they are neither gracious in victory or defeat. They have about as much integrity and etiquette as the common street criminal.
Harsh. It's a different sporting culture over there and the Europeans should have been prepared for it. We don't boo kickers in RDS, LR, RH or TP but we have to be mature enough to know that not everybody sees that as a positive. Maybe the Europeans needed Deccie Kidney to go over with some fezzes and airhorns on practice day!
All the way back logue
Graduate

ridiculous comment
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Beaten by the better team over the weekend. Our big players never got going and some of the American play was spectacular. Kim and Weekly in particular. It was nice to see Kenny Perry do well given that he had built his entire season around qualifying and he sees it as a closing chapter in his career.

Faldo didn't impress me but I don't think he posseses any people or leadership skills. I cannot fault his pick of Poulter even though I was critical of it at the time.
I think a finger needs to be pointed at the British & Irish media who once again built up their team to ridiculous levels, whatever about the Americans having an inexperienced team Europe were not much stronger experience wise.

Faldo was let down by the players (not all), it seemed a few thought they were just showing up to collect the trophy...

How bad did this team miss Monty...??? I know his form is indifferent, but in that sort of hostile environment I'd have the fat lump every time....
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Ryder Cup

Post by Dexter »

Ian Poulter and Nicolas Colsaerts are Ryder Cup wildcards
... as predicted
Dont Panic!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dexter wrote:Ian Poulter and Nicolas Colsaerts are Ryder Cup wildcards
... as predicted
No complaints. Harrington's form hasn't been good enough, simple as that.

Looks like there will be two very strong line-ups this time. Yanks marginal favourites with the bookies at the moment but really could go either way.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Donny B. wrote:
... as predicted

Looks like there will be two very strong line-ups this time. Yanks marginal favourites with the bookies at the moment but really could go either way.
True. Davis Love naming his four wildcards next Monday.
Dont Panic!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:
... as predicted

So that's

McDowell, McIloy, Garcia, Rose, Westwood, Donald, Poulter, Lawrie, Colsaerts, Hanson, Kaymer and F Molinari. With home advantage, you have to favour the Americans.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

cormac wrote: So that's
McDowell, McIloy, Garcia, Rose, Westwood, Donald, Poulter, Lawrie, Colsaerts, Hanson, Kaymer and F Molinari. With home advantage, you have to favour the Americans.
The three weakest links. Colsaerts being a rookie pick is a huge call(a first?) by Olazabal and one he may come to regret. He hasn't covered himself in glory either with his handling of Harrington. He was never going to pick PH even though he has been playing well in the majors and his sarcastic interview on Friday confirms this.

Kaymer can't his a cow's arse with a banjo at the moment and thats nots going to change in the next 3-4 weeks unfortunately so expect to see more pressure on the lower order. Hopefully he will deselect himself but can't see it happening.

Molinari didn't handle the pressure too well last time out and struggles with short putts, he will be under intense scrutiny at Medinah.

I personally think with the yanks at home, playing in Chicago, having 4 captains picks, posessing 1 to 12 more quality they will win handily enough. Looking at our team and what the US will look like, the singles may well resemble Brookline.
3 Gold Stars
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
The three weakest links. Colsaerts being a rookie pick is a huge call(a first?) by Olazabal and one he may come to regret. He hasn't covered himself in glory either with his handling of Harrington. He was never going to pick PH even though he has been playing well in the majors and his sarcastic interview on Friday confirms this.

Kaymer can't his a cow's arse with a banjo at the moment and thats nots going to change in the next 3-4 weeks unfortunately so expect to see more pressure on the lower order. Hopefully he will deselect himself but can't see it happening.

Molinari didn't handle the pressure too well last time out and struggles with short putts, he will be under intense scrutiny at Medinah.

I personally think with the yanks at home, playing in Chicago, having 4 captains picks, posessing 1 to 12 more quality they will win handily enough. Looking at our team and what the US will look like, the singles may well resemble Brookline.
I'm astounded that Kaymer has managed to qualify automatically. He's in even worse form than Harrington was two seasons ago. Did Kaymer have a good finish to last season? Colsaerts is a bit of a hot-and-cold player from what I've seen of him, may prove useful in the fourballs. If Molinari could putt he'd be winning a lot more tournaments. It must be incredibly frustrating for him.

Like you I'd worry about Europe in the singles. None of the English players fill me with confidence when it comes to the real crunch, although Poulter has a bit of the Monty about him in the Ryder Cup.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

cormac wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

I'm astounded that Kaymer has managed to qualify automatically. He's in even worse form than Harrington was two seasons ago. Did Kaymer have a good finish to last season? Colsaerts is a bit of a hot-and-cold player from what I've seen of him, may prove useful in the fourballs. If Molinari could putt he'd be winning a lot more tournaments. It must be incredibly frustrating for him.

Like you I'd worry about Europe in the singles. None of the English players fill me with confidence when it comes to the real crunch, although Poulter has a bit of the Monty about him in the Ryder Cup.
That's the nature or flaw in the system. Have a great season(s) and you are guaranteed selection. This has hurt the yanks more than Europe hence one of the reasons why they changed their selection policy of 2 wildcards to 4. Steve Pate,Parnevik,O'Connor Jnr and O'Meara are players whose game had deserted them going into Ryder Cups and managed to scrape through the tournament.

Kaymer should give serious consideration to pulling out but his sponsors will be pressurising him to play behind the scenes.

What Olazabal fails to recognise is by ignoring Harrington for an average rookie player with zero experience, he is ignoring a triple major winner who plays most of his golf in the US and is used to their courses and more importantly their greens, which are much faster than Europe.

No question who Woods,Bradley, Watney, Simpson,Duffner or Watson etc would rather tee it up against: Harrington or Colsaerts?

Remember Mcilroy is considered supposedly a senior figure or of similar stature now, yet is inexperienced. We are actually quite short on experience this time round which as noted will be exposed in the singles particularly.
3 Gold Stars