Wilkinson part of Lions tour to Australia

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

mtleinster
Enlightened

Wilkinson part of Lions tour to Australia

Post by mtleinster »

Wilkinson wants to tour with Lions without playing for England. Interesting idea. Hopefully David Campese might line up for the Oz

Bring the big names out!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19820611
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Wilkinson part of Lions tour to Australia

Post by ronk »

I don't see why not. He's playing well, and if he wants to be considered then all the better.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

I'd like to tour as well doesn't mean I'll get picked though

In fairness it's the position the lions have the least depth in. Outside sexton there's no one really putting their hand up and sexton is yet to really dominate on the international stage so why not pick wilkinson.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

I'd love to see him get a chance. If club rugby is going well for him I don't think it'd be a bad idea.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's not that he's not getting picked for England. He's retired from England rugby and he was more or less forced to make that decision as a consequence of staying with Toulon.

He's not the sort who'll throw his toys out of the pram if not picked. As it stands it's going to be Sexton, Biggar/Priestland and maybe Flood.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

He shouldn't have been on the 2005 tour for me, let alone the 2013 one.

Yes, he's playing well enough for Toulon but he never brought that form to England games in the last few seasons. Even his place-kicking, the thing he was most famous for, went to sh!t. His tactical kicking was poor also and he was never known for moving a backline, even when at his best. His tackling was pretty good but that was about it.

Leave him where he is.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Donny B. wrote:He shouldn't have been on the 2005 tour for me, let alone the 2013 one.

Yes, he's playing well enough for Toulon but he never brought that form to England games in the last few seasons. Even his place-kicking, the thing he was most famous for, went to sh!t. His tactical kicking was poor also and he was never known for moving a backline, even when at his best. His tackling was pretty good but that was about it.

Leave him where he is.
I would agree. However, theres not a glut of outstanding, experienced outhalfs waiting to be picked. I may be unfair here but Priestlands rep seems to be mainly built on the WC games 12 months ago, without much since then.
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cant see Wilko fitting into the gameplan Gatty will want to employ (wide/attacking) and he will have been 2 years out of international rugby (and its opportunity to impress)

Sexton is on the plane, IMO Flood will go too but Priestland won't as he needs someone to kick his goals for him which is usually Halfpenny but he's behind Kearney and Foden for fullback I reckon and Bowe, North, Visser and maybe Earls for wings, none of whom kick
My guess for third outhalf is Laidlaw as he covers 9 too and 2 Scots out of the 37 (Visser and Gray) would look bad
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

If Wilkinson was Welsh he might have a chance. Gattie's not going to drop a Welsh player from the squad for Wilkinson.
This is on the assumption that Sexton, Laidlaw and A.N. Other (Biggar or Priestman) Welshman are his three OHs.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
bgclaw
Bookworm

Post by bgclaw »

jonny will lose out which 1 you decide
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

bgclaw wrote: Teletubbies teletubbies say eh ohhh...

Agreed.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Sexton is far and away my first choice for the 10 slot (biased? Maybe). I'd take Flood if Youngs goes as they really do make each other far better than when paired with anyone else and I'd be inclined to go with Laidlaw personally but I imagine Priestland is virtually guaranteed to go.

If any of them were injured I'd rather see Wilkinson called up than O'Gara or Farrell. Wilkinson is younger than BOD and missed the best part of 4 years through injuries so doesn't have that many miles on the clock. If he was Irish I think we can presume he would still be playing international rugby now.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Priestland actually is sh!t, not only has he done nothing worthwhile since the world cup but he looked pretty rubbish before it too. His reputation was helped because all the other outhalves couldn't kick either at the world cup and Carter got injured.

If Sexton has to deal with a Roig based game plan for the next year he won't be front runner either, despite being the most complete package at 10 in the NH. And I don't think that's even close.

So Dan Biggar it is.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

fourthirtythree wrote:Priestland actually is sh!t, not only has he done nothing worthwhile since the world cup but he looked pretty rubbish before it too. His reputation was helped because all the other outhalves couldn't kick either at the world cup and Carter got injured.

If Sexton has to deal with a Roig based game plan for the next year he won't be front runner either, despite being the most complete package at 10 in the NH. And I don't think that's even close.

So Dan Biggar it is.
I actually think Biggar is an underrated player by Wales. I'd have Sexton and Biggar as the two main 10's.
Dont Panic!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Yeah, I think that right now they are the two. Biggar surely has to take over the Wales spot soon though doesn't he? Am I mad? Is it just the Ospreys fans I've been talking to recently? I just don't get Priestland.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Gatty seems to have it in for Biggar after he got a couple of caps but played badly/was a change in a team that played badly notably home v Fiji when they drew
Unless Biggar usurps Priestland for Wales he aint going
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon