General GAA thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

IanD
Official Mascot

Re: General GAA thread

Post by IanD »

nelly the elephant wrote:not too shabby for a small village.
You mean 2 small villages surely. :wink: :wink:

UP THE VILLAGE. :green clap: :happy clapper: :green clap:
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

IanD wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:not too shabby for a small village.
You mean 2 small villages surely. :wink: :wink:

UP THE VILLAGE. :green clap: :happy clapper: :green clap:
Are you a Rathnew man Ian? :D
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Would it be raining on the parade if I asked if Wicklow senior hurling was not a two-horse race anyway (1 of Glenealy/Carnew in every final since before the turn of the century)? Start winning something in Leinster, and you'll impress me more (tough crowd!). Still 3-in-a-row is a great achievement. Now, go sort out Wicklow hurling!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

meinster wrote:Would it be raining on the parade if I asked if Wicklow senior hurling was not a two-horse race anyway (1 of Glenealy/Carnew in every final since before the turn of the century)? Start winning something in Leinster, and you'll impress me more (tough crowd!). Still 3-in-a-row is a great achievement. Now, go sort out Wicklow hurling!
You've got a point......we've been in the last 10 finals....we met Carnew in 8 of those I think? Some good strides being made in the North of the county but it really needs former powerhouses like Avondale and Arklow Rocks to push on and break through into regular final appearances. Believe me, there's a great desire in our club to make a splash in Leinster, very disappointing how flat we fell on Sunday.
In the end of the day though it's a football county......we hurling folk do our best but it's a difficult enough job spreading the gospel.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

The wife's cousin put in a man of the match display in a losing effort for Crokes on Sunday. Good hurler in fairness to the lad. Dublin have a few good young hurlers. Any Dubs fans know whether they are likely to make the breakthrough?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

nelly the elephant wrote:In the end of the day though it's a football county
Yup, that's problem number 1 there alright. Same boat for a lot of counties (Laois and Carlow spring to mind; very similar circumstances, and with a county board that aren't interested in hurling). Crack on, and don't get complacent with county titles, is all you can do!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Avenger wrote:The wife's cousin put in a man of the match display in a losing effort for Crokes on Sunday. Good hurler in fairness to the lad. Dublin have a few good young hurlers. Any Dubs fans know whether they are likely to make the breakthrough?
I think that getting to the last two All Ireland minor finals and last year's U21 is a sign that progress is being made...........it's a question of keeping the conveyor belt going. It's encouraging that although this year's Dublin SHC final was contested by two of the big southside powerhouses(Cuala & Crokes), there is a growing interest and commitment to hurling in a lot of former "football only" clubs on the Northside.

I'd love the breakthrough to be made....I'd gladly swap THREE All ireland football wins for just one in hurling...
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Avenger wrote:The wife's cousin put in a man of the match display in a losing effort for Crokes on Sunday. Good hurler in fairness to the lad. Dublin have a few good young hurlers. Any Dubs fans know whether they are likely to make the breakthrough?
They'll continue to struggle as long as they can't hold on to the dual players. The vast majority are going to choose football as long as it remains the more glamorous option. Bit of a vicious circle for them.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

cormac wrote:
They'll continue to struggle as long as they can't hold on to the dual players. The vast majority are going to choose football as long as it remains the more glamorous option. Bit of a vicious circle for them.
This is not really accurate though. There is pressure from the Dublin county board for these lads to choose football.
For example my wife's cousin played both as a minor. Was on both hurling and football panels. His preference is hurling. He was a starter for the hurling team and was asked to drop off that panel so he could sub for the footballers. He then played a club hurling match and the management of the Dublin minor football team got the hump with that and dropped him completely.

I went to school and played hurling with lads that won minor All Irelands with Kilkenny and this lad is as good as any of them at that age. He has a clear preference for hurling yet was pushed to pick football at minor level. This is probably why you lose many good young hurlers! Nothing to do with more glamourous. The Dublin county board clearly prioritizes football.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

The Shef himself confirmed as our guest of honour at the Dinner Dance/awards night in a couple of weeks....result!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

nelly the elephant wrote:Great win for my Meathmen yesterday, hammering a quality Wikla team in Aughrim
Donny B. wrote:Yeah, we were excellent. Got the fire back back in our bellies. Move outta way CP in September here we come
+1 guys. Nice touch :wink:
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

suisse wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:Great win for my Meathmen yesterday, hammering a quality Wikla team in Aughrim
Donny B. wrote:Yeah, we were excellent. Got the fire back back in our bellies. Move outta way CP in September here we come
Rather a misuse of the quote function there my good man seeing as I never posted it in the first place! :wink:
As you well know I am a Dub domiciled in the Garden County and my allegiances haven't changed. :)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

suisse wrote:
Fake quotes....cheeky!! :lol:
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
exiledinmunster
Beginner

Post by exiledinmunster »

Player can do what he wants with his medals, Galway County board probably angling for their cut
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

nelly the elephant wrote:Rather a misuse of the quote function there my good man seeing as I never posted it in the first place! :wink:
As you well know I am a Dub domiciled in the Garden County and my allegiances haven't changed. :)
Donny B. wrote:Fake quotes....cheeky!! :lol:
These were private messages you both sent me. I'm just bringing them public. I agree with what you both said in the private messages though. They'll be dancing on the streets of Navan in September.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Did anyone else raise an eyebrow at RTÉ sending Marty Morrissey to Kerry to interview a rake of people about the crisis in Kerry football? The crisis of course being that they lost their first two league games.

Cork, the reigning league champions, have also lost their first two games but there's been no emergency report from Leeside yet.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

suisse wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:Rather a misuse of the quote function there my good man seeing as I never posted it in the first place! :wink:
These were private messages you both sent me. I'm just bringing them public. I agree with what you both said in the private messages though. They'll be dancing on the streets of Navan in September.
There sure are a lot of Dubs living in Navan these days.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

suisse wrote:

You're a cad and a bounder Sir!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Broken Wing wrote:Did anyone else raise an eyebrow at RTÉ sending Marty Morrissey to Kerry to interview a rake of people about the crisis in Kerry football? The crisis of course being that they lost their first two league games.

Cork, the reigning league champions, have also lost their first two games but there's been no emergency report from Leeside yet.

I hadn't heard that.......strange carry on alright. Kerry have been very poor though in both those games.....slightly stronger team against the Dubs as played against Mayo.