Punch Drunk - the boxing thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Punch Drunk - the boxing thread

Post by Peg Leg »

Sorry to see Hatton humiliated, but prob for the best.

What do you all think of the Flintoff Fight?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
dave13
Bookworm

Post by dave13 »

Documentary on Flintoff is very interesting at least and Flintoff always comes across as a decent guy. First episode showed the issue with him possibly being too nice for boxing
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Saw the doco and found it interesting. I am a cricket fan and always enjoyed Fred's swash buckling, never say die style so I hope he goes well. Judging by his progression of what we seen sparing he should be okay. But as with boxing, it only takes one good punch....

As for Hatton, my god I don't how his corner let him take to the rind. He was spent after 3 or 4 rounds. A better opponent would have floored him long before he finally succumbed to that body shot
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I haven't seen the Flintoff documentary but my take on this is very simple.

We see a lot of criticism of Earls for the way he plays in the centre as if he was a wing and, despite the dozen or so games he has played at centre, he is not instincively looking to pass outside. Flintoff has had 4 and a half months training as a boxer. He may well have the moves and the fitness but he will not have the instincts of a boxer. He won't be in a position to, for example, read combinations before they are thrown or to recognise them if they are repeated. Nor will he be slipping punches before he realises they are thrown the way people who have been boxing since their youth do.

The guy he's fighting has had two fights for a total of 5 rounds as a professional. That's not a lot of boxing behind him but I know nothing of his amateur career. Whether he's had a decent amateur career or a terrible one is pretty much irrelevant. What matters is whether he has had one at all. If he's been boxing for a number of years then he has an advantage over Flintoff straight away. After that it depends on how seriously he's taking this fight.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Not bad for a fat lad!
Daniel Sullivan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Yeah, my hat's off to him. Sloppy fight and his technique needs tidying up but he got the job done.

Also over the weeked David Prive beat Matt Skelton (KO Rd 2) to go 15-0 and Tyson Fury beat Kevin Johnson (UD) to go 20-0. Fury and Johnson were fighting in hopes of a World title fight (Johnson previously went the distance with Vitali Klitschko) while Price was defending his British and Commonwealth titles. It's just a matter of time before the two of them meet in the ring and it should be a great fight* when it happens.

*An actual great fight as opposed to the Haye Chisora hype machine fiasco.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Apparently Pacquiao Marquez IV was an absolutely sensational fight. Watch out for it if it's on the box this morning, Sky often show their late night/early morning fights at a more palatable hour the next day.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Just heard about that fight at training over lunch. I'll have to check the internet for it. I forgot that Angel Hernandez was JMM's strength and conditioning coach. I wonder will Mayweather be looking for drug tests if they are to be paired up.

On the undercard of that fight Dubliner Patrick Hyland lost his WBA featherweight title fight in a unanimous points decision. He's now 27(12)-1 which is an incredible record.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oh this is going to be fun to watch, oldschool grudge match!!
Former world super-middleweight champion Steve Collins has announced that he's coming out of retirement to fight Roy Jones Jr.

The 48-year-old, who retired back in 1997, made the announcement on TalkSport radio this afternoon and said he has accepted the challenge of Jones Jr to fight. He says all that needs to be sorted out is the right promoter to put the payday together.

Collins always wanted a shot at Jones Jr back in the 1990s when the former Olympic silver medallist was considered by most to be the world’s best pound-for-pound boxer, but the fight never materialised.

The Celtic Warrior said that he would be ready to fight in between 10 and 12 weeks, and that his brother Pascal would take-on the role as trainer.

“I was very happy with my career, but the one fight I wanted was Roy Jones, and when that didn’t happen I retired. To me he was afraid of me. I don’t think he’s a coward, but at the time he was!"

Collins is having his medical, including a brain-scan, next week and hopes the fight will happen at the end of April or in May, most likely in a big UK venue - but he did not rule out Dublin.

"This is still a match. We’re the same generation. I wouldn’t even consider fighting as guy 15 or 20 years younger than me, because that’s not a match.

"But we’re the same age and this is a fair match. It won’t be any different to how it would have been 15 years ago."

The fighter also told Keys and Gray on TalkSport that the fight will not go ahead unless he passes all medical tests.

“It’s not a comeback as such, at my age I’m too old for that, but it will be the end of a 15-year grudge."

"If I don’t get a 100% pass form the doctors, then forget it."
Daniel Sullivan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

There's a few Irish boxers in action this Saturday night on Sky.

Andy Lee (ranked 7th by the WBC and 9th by the WBA) faces Dublin's Anthony Fitzgerald. For Lee this is the first step on the road to another title shot following his 7th round stoppage loss to Julio Cesar Suarez Jr. last June and he's a heavy favourite against the Pride of Dublin.

The big fight on Saturday though is Barry McGuigan trained Carl "The Jackal" Frampton (15-0) finally gets Kiko Martinez (27(19)-3) in the ring. Martinez will be defending the EBU Super-Bantamweight title he famously won with a KO of Bernard Dunne in the Point in 2007. Since then he has twice pulled out of fights with Frampton due to injury and once from a non-title fight with Wayne McCullough when Kiko failed to make weight.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Broken Wing wrote:There's a few Irish boxers in action this Saturday night on Sky.

Andy Lee (ranked 7th by the WBC and 9th by the WBA) faces Dublin's Anthony Fitzgerald. For Lee this is the first step on the road to another title shot following his 7th round stoppage loss to Julio Cesar Suarez Jr. last June and he's a heavy favourite against the Pride of Dublin.

The big fight on Saturday though is Barry McGuigan trained Carl "The Jackal" Frampton (15-0) finally gets Kiko Martinez (27(19)-3) in the ring. Martinez will be defending the EBU Super-Bantamweight title he famously won with a KO of Bernard Dunne in the Point in 2007. Since then he has twice pulled out of fights with Frampton due to injury and once from a non-title fight with Wayne McCullough when Kiko failed to make weight.
Kiko has pulled out of a fair few fights IIRC (though probably for the best from WM's POV), I can't stand the b$&%@#d.
Can some one post a link to the fights here, when they're on, please?
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

"You know I love Sonny Bill......but this was bullshit,"

Post by Peg Leg »

Fair play to them,
Planet Rugby wrote:Sonny Bill Williams and Quade Cooper both won their boxing bouts on Friday with SBW claiming the WBA International heavyweight title.

World Cup-winning All Black Williams survived a whirlwind finish from veteran South African Frans Botha to land the vacant title with a unanimous points decision in Brisbane.

The ringside judges gave him the fight 97-91, 98-94, 97-91 over the 10 rounds.

Williams was holding on in the final round as 44-year-old Botha, dubbed the "White Buffalo", went after him with heavy blows.

27-year-old Williams who remains unbeaten in six fights, is due to play in Australia's National Rugby League this year with the Sydney Roosters.

Botha's record now stands at 48-10-3. Botha was left fuming after the bout. Cut short from the original 12 rounds to 10, Williams looked in control for most of the fight.

The South African, however, was furious with officials after the decision was made to shorten the bout, with the 44-year-old looking to have worn out Williams by the end of the 10th.

"You know I love Sonny Bill, I think he's a great guy, a gentleman, but this was bullshit," the 115kg Botha said in an interview after the fight.

"If you look at the crowd, you know who won. You've got to win fair and square, not with the advantage of the judges, you've got to fight. According to me I won, hands-free."

Wallabies fly-half Cooper won his first professional fight on the same fight card in a first-round knockout of fellow Australian Barry Dunnett.

Cooper landed a right hook high on Dunnett's head to send his opponent crashing to the canvas inside the opening round of his scheduled four-round cruiserweight bout.
Daniel Sullivan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Cooper V Williams with the winner to face Flintoff.

You heard it here first.
Last edited by Broken Wing on February 24th, 2013, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Broken Wing wrote:Cooper V Williams with the winner to face Flintoff.

You heard it hear first.
Why was the belt available at a fight restricted to 10 rounds??
Daniel Sullivan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

There's been no official explanation as to why it was only 10 rounds. In fact Botha claims he was only told at the end of the 9th that the 10th was the last round. He reckons the WBA should set up a rematch.

There was a similar furore over the Fury Rogan fight for the then vacant Irish heavyweight title. It didn't go the distance but Big Rogie was giving out in the presser afterwards about the title being decided by a 10 round fight when it's supposed to be 12.

Rogan (14(7)-3(3)) is fighting on the undercard of the Frampton Martinez fight tomorrow against Ladislav Kovarik (10(5)-12(5)) from the Czech Republic.

Fury meantime is in the process of setting up a fight with USS Steve Cunningham (25(12)-5) as he seeks to make a name for himself in the US and move up the rankings toward an eventual shot at a Klitschko. The British Boxing Board of Control ordered Fury and reigning British Heavyweight Champion David Price to meet and purse bids were to open next week but that's clearly off the table now.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

The 2013 IABA Elite National championships get underway this evening.

Defending champions Paddy Barnes, John Joe Nevin and Con Sheehan will not be taking part through injury (Joyce's wrist, Sheehan's hand) or illness (Paddy has the flu).

Olympians Darren O'Neill, Adam Nolan and John Joe Joyce will be in action tomorrow. Kenneth Egan has a bye until next weekend. No sign of Michael Conlan in the lists so I'm assuming he's in the same boat as Egan. Katie Taylor received a walkover but will be in action on finals night (February 22nd) against Poland's Karolina Graczyk. This was supposed to be the first fight in her preparations for the Women's European Championships due to be held in Ireland later this year but AIBA, in their wisdom, have cancelled that tournament.

2013 Elite National Championships

Friday February 8th (Prelims) (7pm)

69kg: Stephen Mulholland (St Malachys) v Petru Ursu (Lucan)
69kg: Phil Moloney (St Francis) v Patrick Cawley (Baldoyle)
69kg: Craig McCarthy (St Pauls) v Steven Donnelly (All Saints)
75kg: Jason Quigley (European U/23 champion) (Finn Valley) v Chris Blaney (Navan)
91kg: Ken Okungbowa (Moate) v Bernard O’Reilly (Portlaoise)
91kg: Jimmy Sweeney (Drimnagh) v Christy Joyce (St Michael’s Athy)
F69kg: Joanna Barcley (Holy Family) v Patrique Kelly (St Francis)

Novice 91kg Final
John Connors (Thurles) v Martin McDonagh (Ennis)

Saturday February 9th (2pm)
52kg: Aidan Metcalfe (Crumlin) v Ruairi Dalton (Holy Trinity)
52kg: Myles Casey (St Francis) v Hugh Joyce (St Michael’s Athy)
56kg: Derek Thorpe (St Aidans) v Michael Nevin (Portlaoise)
56kg: Gary McKenna (Old School) v Anthony O’Rawe (Braid)
56kg: Karl McDonald (Golden Gloves) v Barry Walsh (St Colmans)
60kg: Eric Donovan (St Michaels Athy) v Danny Coughlan (St Annes)
60kg: John Peter Keenan (Loughmahon) v Sean McComb (Holy Trinity)
60kg: George Bates (St Marys) v Chris Nevin (Holy Family)
60kg: Jason Conroy (Crumlin) v David Oliver Joyce (St Michaels Athy)
64kg: Rohan Date (St Pauls) v Niall Murray (Gorey)
64kg: Barry O’Hara (Immaculata) v Sean Duffy (Holy Trinity)
64kg: Patrick Mongan (Olympic) v Ray Moylette (European Champion)(St Annes)

Saturday February 9th (7pm)
69kg: Adam Nolan (Bray) v TBA
69kg: Fergal Redmond (Arklow) v Brian Brosnan (Crumlin)
69kg: Willie McLaughlin (Illies GG) v TBA
69kg: John Joe Joyce (St Michael’s Athy) v TBA
75kg: Darren O’Neill (Paulstown) v TBA
75kg: Conrad Cummings (Holy Trinity) v Christy Joyce (St Michaels Athy)
75kg: Conor Coyle (St Josephs) v Brian Cahill (Tolerton)
75kg: James McDonagh (Antrim) v Roy Sheahan (St Michaels Athy)
91kg: Tommy McCarthy (Oliver Plunkett) v TBA
91kg: Krys Sikora (St Francis) v Willie Byrne (Drimnagh)
91kg: Patrick Corcoran (Olympic) v Michael Mullaney (Claremorris)
91kg: Steven Ward (Monkstown) v TBA
91kg+: Dean Gardner (Clonmel) v Chris Devanney (Dockers)
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Steve Bunce on the Williams Botha 12 rounder that was abruptly shortened to 10:
There was a lot of mock and shock outrage at the crazy ending, which is ridiculous because the fight featured a muscle-mad rugby player with zero natural talent against a fat geezer with a steroid blot on his record and a highlight reel of brave efforts that end with him on the canvas. It was a glorious freak fight and should be applauded and embraced as such – a gentle move up from Ricky Gervais poncing about in the Sport Relief ring a few years ago.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

In proper boxing Carl Frampton handed Kiko Martinez his first ever KO in the 9th round to claim the EBU Super-Bantamweight title. Frampton is expected back in the ring in Belfast on May 11th but no opponent has been mentioned yet. A possible undercard for that night would be the Irish middleweight showdown between Matt Macklin and Andy Lee. Lee had a points win over Dubliner Anto Fitzgerald on Saturday but prior to the fight claimed that Macklin would be one of his “easier” fights. Brian Peters, Macklin's manager, has said there's absolutely no reason why the fight can't happen on May 11th.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

The biggest surprise in the IABA National Elite Championships was Olympic captain Darren O'Neill's loss to European U23 champion Jason Quigley on countback in his quarter final on Saturday. Also of note was the bout between Tommy McCarthy and Ken Okungbowa which was the first ever bout in the National Elite Championships to feature two black boxers.

The Championships continue on Friday in the National Stadium. Ceire Smith and Sinead Kavanagh will both be in action on Saturday night. They were the other Irish boxers who travelled with Katie Taylor to the World Championships last year to try and qualify for London 2012. Ken Egan returns to the ring against Davey Joe Joyce with the winner facing champion Joe Ward in the final next week. Ward beat Egan last year ending Ken's decade long reign as champion.

(Champions & Olympians in bold)

Friday, February 15th (7pm)

S/Finals
W48kg: Hannah Carthy (Paulstown) v Lynn McEnery (St Pauls)
W48kg: Maeve Clarke (Ballinacarrow) v Emma Duffy (Crumlin)
49kg: Hugh Myres (Ryston) v Adam Courtney (St Marys)
52kg: Michael Conlan (St John Bosco) v Ruairi Dalton (Holy Trinity)
W54kg: Dervla Duffy (Ryston) v Christine Gargan (St Georges)
W57kg: Joanne Lambe (Carrickmacross) v Lindsey Doyle (Gorey)
56kg: Declan Geraghty (Crumlin) v Derek Thorpe (St Aidans)
60kg: Eric Donovan (St Michaels Athy) v Sean McComb (Holy Trinity)
W64kg: Allanna Audley-Murphy (Eastside) v Kelly Harrington (Corinthians)
64kg: Ross Hickey (Grangecon) v Rohan Date (St Pauls)
W69kg: Claire Grace (Callan) v Joanna Barcley (Holy Family)
W69kg: Louis Claire Sweetman (Palmerstown) v Laoise Traynor (Bray)
69kg: Adam Nolan (Bray) v Brian Brosnan (Crumlin)
75kg: Jason Quigley (Finn Valley) v Conrad Cummings (Holy Trinity)
91kg: Thomas McCarthy (Oliver Plunkett) v Kris Sikora (St Francis)
91+kg: Sean Turner (Drimnagh) v Dean Gardiner (Clonmel)

Saturday February 16th (7pm)
S/Finals
49kg: TJ Waite (Cairn Lodge) v Stephen Tracey (Ryston)
52kg: Hugh Joyce (St Michaels Athy) v Chris Phelan (Ryston)
56kg:Gary McKenna (Old School) v Barry Walsh (St Colmans)
60kg: George Bates (St Marys) v David Oliver Joyce (St Michael’s Athy)
64kg: Sean Duffy (Holy Trinity) v Ray Moylette (St Annes)
69kg: Willie McLaughlin (Illies GG) v John Joe Joyce (St Michael’s Athy)
75kg: Conor Coyle (St Josephs) v Roy Sheahan (St Michael’s Athy)
81kg: Davey Joe Joyce (Crumlin) v Ken Egan (Neilstown)
91kg: Patrick Corcoran (Olympic) v Jimmy Sweeney (Drimnagh)
91kg+: Niall Kennedy (Gorey) v Michael McKeever (St Matthews)
Finals
W51kg: Ceire Smith (Cavan) v Shelly Daly (Ballyhaunis)
W75kg: Caroline Connolly (Raphoe) v Sinead Kavanagh (Drimnagh)
W81kg +: Lianne Murphy (Carrickmacross) v TBD
W69kg: TBd v TBD
W48kg: TBD v TBD
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Was really rooting for Kenny last night, thanks for all the highs and lows.

Class act (that jacket aside)!
Daniel Sullivan