Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

Post by TerenureJim »

sheepshagger wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Anyone got suggestions for restaurants / pubs in clonakilty?
Have you tried http://www.menupages.ie ?
Yes indeed, unfortunately no KFC.
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Deasy's is fantastic gastro-pub.
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Is there such a thing as a nice Chinese or Pan Asian Restaurant in Dublin these days ?
underpantsdance
Bookworm

Post by underpantsdance »

Leinster Exile wrote:Is there such a thing as a nice Chinese or Pan Asian Restaurant in Dublin these days ?
It's on the pricey side but I have never been let down by Kites in Ballabridge
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

underpantsdance wrote:
Leinster Exile wrote:Is there such a thing as a nice Chinese or Pan Asian Restaurant in Dublin these days ?
Seen that and some other place out in Sandyford around the new apartements , Sichuan I think its called.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Leinster Exile wrote:
underpantsdance wrote:
Seen that and some other place out in Sandyford around the new apartements , Sichuan I think its called.
China Sichuan is amazing! Used to be in Kilmacud, beside the Mill House. Haven't been in the new location, but I'm told it's just as good.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

TheBear wrote: China Sichuan is amazing! Used to be in Kilmacud, beside the Mill House. Haven't been in the new location, but I'm told it's just as good.
This restaurant is the dogs b*%&!x. seriously. It's a pity it is in an industrial estate but very handy for the LUAS though.
Get in the f%~king bag.
underpantsdance
Bookworm

Post by underpantsdance »

Slipper1 wrote:
TheBear wrote: China Sichuan is amazing! Used to be in Kilmacud, beside the Mill House. Haven't been in the new location, but I'm told it's just as good.
This restaurant is the dogs b*%&!x. seriously. It's a pity it is in an industrial estate but very handy for the LUAS though.
I used to love that place when it was down in Kilmacud but haven't been a fan the few times I've been to the new place. I've only been there twice but I wasn't amazed by the food either time, I know a few people who would be in the same camp as me but then I know others who rave about it.
I might give it another shot, I could be that I'm judging it too harshly against my memory of the place in Kilmacud rather than what the food was actually like!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Highly recommend Manifestino in Rathgar, from the same people as Manifesto in Rathmines. Bit tight on space but their pizzas are insanely good. Words cannot describe how perfect they are. Well worth making a trip, or even ordering from.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Had a very tasty burger in Beeftro in Dundrum this afternoon & for those with kids, their children's menu has great food with burgers, fish & chips, mac & cheese, shepards pie etc. unlimited cordial and big ice cream makes €8.50 cheap.

The steaks come well recommended as well.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Went to Maynooth on a whim last night, hoping to go to The Avenue, which is consistently good, but alas they had no space til 9pm. So we went over the road to Picaderos, I'd heard mixed things about the place when it first opened, but figured it was teething issues. We got the early bird, I ordered nachos for starter and chicken with onion and chorizo on a bed of mash for main served with a tomato sauce. The food arrived quickly service was good, but iI was left feeling very disappointed. The food was grand, but it was very underwhelming and I was left feeling cheated, because I'd make nicer myself. For the price I expected to come away feeling much more satisfied. I'd be reluctant to go again.

On the other hand, I was in The Everest in Westport on Thursday night and it was amazing! Nepelese and indian food. The food is just always brilliant and I highly recommend if you're in the area. The portions are just the right size and there's a great mix of spicy and non spicy to cater for all tastes.
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

Slipper1 wrote:Had a very tasty burger in Beeftro in Dundrum this afternoon & for those with kids, their children's menu has great food with burgers, fish & chips, mac & cheese, shepards pie etc. unlimited cordial and big ice cream makes €8.50 cheap.

The steaks come well recommended as well.

The steaks should be good there - the Head Chef is ex-Shanahans (whose early bird of €45 is fantastic value incidentally)
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

I had a terrific meal in the Old Post Office restaurant in Slane last saturday night. As I'd never heard of it before I had no expectations but my meal was very, very good. I'd go again.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Maynooth has turned into a real foodie town of late!
Had a lovely Tuna steak in Bistro 53, they only do 2 sittings so the place is always busy which adds to the atmosphere but means the first sitting is being rushed out to accommodate the second. Food was class, service was great and they had a crooner in the corner (I like that sort of thing). Decor would be the only downfall.
Left the restaurant at 21:00 and there were queues outside another 4 restaurants.
Of all the food outlets, the following are well worth a visit.
Stone haven: broad menu, with usually very exotic/unusual specials
La Maison: great french and italian food in a tiny atmospheric setting
Picadero's: Tapas, spanish and some mexican (can be pricey though)
Oak Valley: Traditional and Gumbo (lowered their prices 2 weeks after opening as they were hammered by critics/punters alike)
Gate House: probably best for lunch
The avenue: great food traditional menu, small building but great food & service.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Went to DeVilles in Dalkey recently. We had starters and mains with 2 glasses of wine and 2 pints and my wife had a coffee also. Service was good but possibly a bit quick/eager. Came to €78 + tip which I think is pretty good as we both had steaks. But most importantly the food was EXCELLENT. One of the nicest steaks I have ever had in Ireland and would rank up there with some of the steaks I have had in the States. Really good and I would definitely recommend there and I will definitely be back.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Just to stir things a bit - Tribeca in Ranelagh, despite its legendary rep (I know, chicken wings), I found to be overpriced and very ordinary.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Hippo wrote:Just to stir things a bit - Tribeca in Ranelagh, despite its legendary rep (I know, chicken wings), I found to be overpriced and very ordinary.
Think it depends what you have. The best things on their menu are probably the cheaper items - burgers, main course salads and omelettes. Was there a few days ago and had a steak - meh. Was OK but not great. Someone else had a fish dish which was fine but not great. But the burger was very good - and I've had the salads and omelettes before and they are good.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hippo wrote:Just to stir things a bit - Tribeca in Ranelagh, despite its legendary rep (I know, chicken wings), I found to be overpriced and very ordinary.
Yeah I don't get the fuss. It was grand but I wouldn't be rushing back.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I have been there probably less than 10 times since it opened. (Must be over 10 years ago?) Never been impressed. Food OK, service sometimes good sometimes bad. Dear for what you get.

Then again I don't eat wings......
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Been hearing great things about Dublin 7 in/around Stoneybatter and Smithfield seems like a new foodie district perhaps on a par with Ranelagh is beginning to emerge....