Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Post by COYBIB »

Hi all,

I thought this might be of interest to you, I have obtained a sneak peak at the redevelopment plans for the new look RDS.

These aren't officially announced by the RDS or Leinster yet, so can't be said to be final design, but I'm reliably informed that negotiations are ongoing and this is the exclusive "leak" of the new look stadium!! :)

http://www.coybib.com/coybib-exclusive- ... ent-plans/

I have to say, I think the stadium looks great, it looks "classy" or something, like one of the arenas out of Wimbledon! :lol: I can see a few people being a bit annoyed though at the lack of terracing planned and also I can't understand why the North and South stands are left exposed to the elements, it would seem logical to continue the wrap around with the roof.

FYI, this is on my blog (which is very very basic at the moment) but please feel free to share, like etc. and check back...when I have more time to devote to it I hope to build it up to be a lot better.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Post by mikey »

Interesting - it does have a good look but I cannot see Leinster with no terrace ......hopefully this is just th first iteration
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

COYBIB wrote:Hi all,

I thought this might be of interest to you, I have obtained a sneak peak at the redevelopment plans for the new look RDS.

These aren't officially announced by the RDS or Leinster yet, so can't be said to be final design, but I'm reliably informed that negotiations are ongoing and this is the exclusive "leak" of the new look stadium!! :)

http://www.coybib.com/coybib-exclusive- ... ent-plans/

I have to say, I think the stadium looks great, it looks "classy" or something, like one of the arenas out of Wimbledon! :lol: I can see a few people being a bit annoyed though at the lack of terracing planned and also I can't understand why the North and South stands are left exposed to the elements, it would seem logical to continue the wrap around with the roof.

FYI, this is on my blog (which is very very basic at the moment) but please feel free to share, like etc. and check back...when I have more time to devote to it I hope to build it up to be a lot better.
Disappointed by the lack of a terrace, something akin to Thomond Park would be perfectly feasible and I seem to recall Mick Dawson saying there would be one. However, it looks quite well, especially filling in the corners.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

So its basically the current stadium with a new Anglesea Stand. Pity about no cover for the fans at either end. Couldn't that be easy enough to add? 23,000 is more than enough, we still have the Aviva for the big'uns.
Gonna miss the oul Anglesea. With it's steps that lead to a brick wall and those lovable urinals which us of the taller variety had to stand about 4 feet back from due to the slope of the stand, ah yes gonna miss that halftime challenge.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The lack of a terrace is a significant disappointment. A lot of people, including myself, prefer to stand whilst watching a match, and have been terrace dwellers in the RDS and Donnybrook for a long time - I would hope that Leinster Rugby remember this when finalising their plans.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

plus terraces more conducive to atmosphere/congregating with people who didnt buy tickets in same purchase as you

but the corner stands have to be sponsored by Trivial Pursuit or Dairylea
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

No terrace and no hedge? You sure this is the RDS? We can't possibly lose both!

I too have been a terrace dweller in the RDS and Donnybrook. The complete removal of the terrace leaves me feeling distinctly underwhelmed. I hope this is a first draft and the powers that be are working out the best way of incorporating a terrace into a modern stadium. If our cousins down south can work it out I'd like to think that we could do likewise.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

What a load of sh!t

' the pit (terrace) containing the most ultra Leinster supporters'
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

The new version of Ravenhill has terrace on all 4 sides think actually around 8k standing
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

The side filling in looks really good. Creates a real 'arena' feel to it.

They should build a terrace in one of the filler areas to cage the "ultra" Leinster fans. Have lots of riot police nearby too
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Not sure how I feel about the new Anglesea Stand. My current front row seat has a fantastic height advantage which would be lost in the new/proposed front row.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Its looks fantastic actually but surely terracing á la Parc y Scarlets is feasible considering how many of us, myself included, prefer to stand to watch the matches? Would be annnoyed and saddened if these areas were scrapped.

Roofs at either ends would also trap the noise from the fans more, retaining atmosphere.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Full length terrace please, it is what is missing from the RDS. Where do we sign up?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

suisse wrote:They should build a terrace in one of the filler areas to cage the "ultra" Leinster fans. Have lots of riot police nearby too
Good point, will need a high net in front too in case they decide to fling a moped off the top tier again.

Thanks for the post, very interesting to see, but ultra me arse.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Someone has to find a gazillion euro before a brick is laid though. That may put a spanner in the works a little.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

An All-seater stadium with no terrace would be a massive mistake I feel, both in financial terms and for the atmosphere in the place.

Let's make sure Dawson gets the message about this.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Look at all the new/rebuilt rugby grounds around the place.

Thomond Park - Terracing
Ravenhill - Terracing
Sportsground - Terracing
Parc Y Scarlets - Terracing
Scotstoun - Standing
Franklins Gardens - Terracing
Welford Road - Terracing (and more planned for the continuing development of the ground)

Even grounds that don't have terracing, like Murrayfield, have introduced standing areas.

There are no reasons, either economic or safety based, to not have a terraced area in a ground. The first thing Bundesliga clubs did after the world cup in germany was put in terracing, terracing is currently being reintroduced in Scottish football and a number of English premier league and championship clubs have asked to be allowed trial standing at their grounds.
I have Bumbleflex
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Waste of time of money. Only a slight improvement on the current edifice.
3 Gold Stars
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

A slight improvement aesthetically maybe but it’s also room for an extra 4.5k spectators.

Agree with you all on the terracing, would be great to see a full length terrace on the Anglesea side. Takes up feic all room.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?