Schools Rugby 2013

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Schools Rugby 2013

Post by goreyguy »

Bailey-Kearney was taken off with what looked like a hand injury , no sign of blood to me.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

goreyguy wrote:Bailey-Kearney was taken off with what looked like a hand injury , no sign of blood to me.
Yeah looked like that to me but one of KK coaches was pleading with linesman and a Leinster official saying that they wouldn't let him back on. Not sure but something went on
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Agree on the Bailey-Kearney thing. No sign of blood
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

hugonaut wrote:
Darce wrote:I said a couple of weeks ago that Nure, specifically their backs, were not good enough to win the cup. I thought it was an anomaly that a much smaller Belvo pack got in amongst it and put it up to Nure but now I see that it was not the case. The nure pack was just get-at-able if you will.

Hum ho. Between Rock, Clongowes and Micks now.
Not sure what you mean by that. If it's that the Terenure backs weren't good enough to carry their pack, I think yesterday proved your point. If it's that they didn't have a good enough backline to win it [given an equal footing up front in a hypothetical scenario] I'd disagree.
It's 2 fold.

1. I didn't think their backs were good enough full stop

2. I believed they had a very good pack coming into the cup, but then a much smaller Belvo pack managed to get in amongst them and compete with them physically. I thought that was an anomaly. Belvo fired up, nure complacent, etc. etc. However, it seems not to have been an anomaly. The nure pack just weren't that good and they didn't have enough behind the scrum to make up for that.

Sure their Full Back and 10 looked above average but I'm not convinced by Brewer as a Centre. Looks every inch a backrower playing in the backs. Passing isn't sharp enough to release his talented 15 into the line. Not a very clever footballer from what I've seen.
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

both terenures tries came from brewer passes, the second one especially put Dardis through on a great line

also a lot of evidence last september during the inter pro's that would suggest he is a clever footballer and not just a big body playing centre, biggest question is his pace at 12.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought Brewer was poor but only partially because of the reasons above. He just didn't involve himself enough. I'd disagree with Darce about him looking like a backrow in the centre, for me he was trying to look too much like a back. He was looking to show off his passing/offloading skills (which he does have imo) too much instead of just using his size and going full throttle into the opposition. I definitely think he's shown enough and has the tools to deserve a place in the academy, I'm no longer convinced that he'll make it after that though.

Dardis made some basic errors (that he didn't make last year) but he really is a sensational talent.

Aside from that, thought Terenure just made too many basic errors and needed a better ten to control things. I said this after the first game and think it even more so now that the biggest problem was chopping and changing players in terms of selection, I don't think they knew what their best team was. They didn't look like a particularly cohesive unit clued into the gameplan which is a bit ridiculous at this stage of the season. Last year they looked very well drilled and knew exactly what they were doing, but that seemed to have deserted them in open play this year.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Thought Brewer was poor but only partially because of the reasons above. He just didn't involve himself enough. I'd disagree with Darce about him looking like a backrow in the centre, for me he was trying to look too much like a back. He was looking to show off his passing/offloading skills (which he does have imo) too much instead of just using his size and going full throttle into the opposition. I definitely think he's shown enough and has the tools to deserve a place in the academy, I'm no longer convinced that he'll make it after that though.

Dardis made some basic errors (that he didn't make last year) but he really is a sensational talent.

Aside from that, thought Terenure just made too many basic errors and needed a better ten to control things. I said this after the first game and think it even more so now that the biggest problem was chopping and changing players in terms of selection, I don't think they knew what their best team was. They didn't look like a particularly cohesive unit clued into the gameplan which is a bit ridiculous at this stage of the season. Last year they looked very well drilled and knew exactly what they were doing, but that seemed to have deserted them in open play this year.
Spot on there! Brewer always looking to offload instead of powering through opposition

Dardis very good but not at his best on the day

Needed a good 10 to run the backline and I think Nure Coaching staff had the wrong game plan for Roscrea in that they got to involved in a physical battle which they were never going to win instead of exploiting the space and using their 12,13,14 & 15 more often
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Time will tell on Brewer.

I certainly wish him all the best in his career
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

The names change but doesn't seem to matter and Clongowes and Michaels produce another cracker.

21-13 to Michaels. Looks between them and Rock. When's the draw for the semi's?
mhow
Knowledgeable

Post by mhow »

Donny B. wrote:The names change but doesn't seem to matter and Clongowes and Michaels produce another cracker.

I think it is at half time of the Leinster Scarlets game Sat
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

mhow wrote:
Donny B. wrote:The names change but doesn't seem to matter and Clongowes and Michaels produce another cracker.

I think it is at half time of the Leinster Scarlets game Sat
Ah cool. Cheers
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Clongowes played well 1st half but didn't take advantage on the score board, they looked very dangerous when they went wide but Michaels coaches got stuck into at half time and they dominated 2nd half and butchered another 2 tries. Good game. Michaels will improve but if they play like 1st half they will be bet. If they play like the 2nd half they could beat any body.

Tough to call the winner now Newbridge will be rank outsiders and every team will want them in the draw but they will put it up to anyone. No one will want Roscrea but the lack of quality backs will be exploited by teams. Rock and Michaels are polished sides and would probably make them slight favourites. Draw will be key. Big fan of the open draw this year brings an extra bit of excitement! Best of luck to them all!!
Last edited by Armchair on March 5th, 2013, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

only game i missed was the clongowes michaels game, but some very talented players coming through this year in all 6 schools I saw in the quarterfinals.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

immense game yesterday with Rock somehow getting the win after getting a man sent off early in the 2nd half.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

goreyguy wrote:immense game yesterday with Rock somehow getting the win after getting a man sent off early in the 2nd half.
Yeah some game, great comeback by Rock but Roscrea must be sick, their backs played better than expected but the lack of a top class kicker cost them the game. ringrose for Rock I don't think missed anything. Rock's bench were also superior and made a huge difference in the last 10 minutes when maybe Roscrea ran out of steam a little bit. Great game by 2 top sides and a great advert for Rugby.

Newbridge up against it today as Michaels will be big favourites but I don't expect the young guns of Newbridge to roll over to easy!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Michaels always in control yesterday. Big Gasp from the crowd when Michaels took to the pitch running by Newbridge, the size difference was huge. Newbridge put up a valiant and brave fight but in the end lost out to a very good Michael's team. Some so called better teams than Newbridge might have got a hiding yesterday from Michael's.
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

This final looks juicy.

I like the look of that Michaels tight five and their half backs
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Darce wrote:This final looks juicy.

I like the look of that Michaels tight five and their half backs
Yeah their 8 and 15 are no slouches either. 13 seemed to play as a offensive line man blocked nearly every play a better ref would have pulled him up on it but they got away with it
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Blackrock's 3,4 and 8 are all Leinster u18 reps.
Michaels 4,7,8 are all Leinster u18 reps.

In the Ireland u18 schools team, rocks 4 and 8 start, michaels 4 and 8 start.
sullivan 7

Post by sullivan 7 »

I have a question that perhaps somebody could answer.My son is starting 1st year in september in Castleknock.Can he still play with his local club or would the demands of rugby in 1st year be enough for him to handle?