for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Dublin GAA Thread

Post by suisse »

Donny B. wrote:
suisse wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Congrats to the Meath footballers yesterday, who unlike Warren Gatland, have proved me wrong this season. What a match!! What a first half. They're my tip for the All Ireland this year. Might even have to get meself a replica Meath jersey
Cheers lads. Tough break yesterday but I agree with everything you say
Wow, with your gift for inventing quotes, I'm amazed the Indo never snapped you up. :D
You'd be surprised how close that could have been in 2008. Recession me hole.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

nelly the elephant wrote:
suisse wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote: Magical stuff from Meath in the first half.....the intensity and quality of the game only added to the achievement.....so happy for Meath tonight....the All Ireland series is alive and well with a number of potential Champions. For my money, Meath with a few more games under their belts will take Dublin in the autumn
Donny B. wrote:Congrats to the Meath footballers yesterday, who unlike Warren Gatland, have proved me wrong this season. What a match!! What a first half. They're my tip for the All Ireland this year. Might even have to get meself a replica Meath jersey
Cheers lads. Tough break yesterday but I agree with everything you say

A flagrant abuse of the quote function! :evil:

Was in the Davin lower......Meath gave it a right good rattle.....we'll be looking for yiz to take Tyrone out of it later for us if you'd be so kind! :wink:
Even our hurlers would take care of that muck
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I'm no GGA expert (to say the least) but if Dublin give up so many scoring chances to better attacking sides say a Kerry or Donegal aren't they likely to lose? Can/will they tighten the game up once the knock out games start?
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

JB1973 wrote:I'm no GGA expert (to say the least) but if Dublin give up so many scoring chances to better attacking sides say a Kerry or Donegal aren't they likely to lose? Can/will they tighten the game up once the knock out games start?
This is the $64,000 question. From the time of the league campaign earlier this year, Dublin have been playing this very fast, counter attacking game with wing backs and midfielders supporting the forwards. There's a school of thought that says they have to be caught out sooner or later but it hasn't happened yet. Being honest, i fear you may be correct...that the likes of a Donegal, Kerry or even Tyrone(if still around) could do for us later in the quarters or semi final.....

I hope they're successful obviously but not just beacuase they're my team.....they've been a breath of fresh air after a few years of negative tactics winning out at inter-county level. Even my neighbours in Wickla are being very complimentary towards Dublin this year and believe me that doesn't come naturally to them! :)
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Despite occassionally dithering in possession, I was very happy with Dublin's effort yesterday. There really is a huge amount of speed throughout the team that Kerry or Cavan could find very difficult to cope with.

Roll on the Hurling SF next week :D .
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Cianostays wrote:Despite occassionally dithering in possession, I was very happy with Dublin's effort yesterday. There really is a huge amount of speed throughout the team that Kerry or Cavan could find very difficult to cope with.

Roll on the Hurling SF next week :D .

We've devastating pace in every line of the team.....I thought it was an excellent performance in a lot of ways but the profligacy in front of goal? It was just like that against Kildare and one day we'll pay for that with the result. We were vastly superior to Cork and should have won by a lot more.....we were at the very front of the Davin lower and the groans and head-in-hands stuff from all of us as goal chance after goal chance went a begging.....

Seriously looking forward to next Sunday......a very different feeling from 2 years ago when we went along hoping for a performance and that Corbett wouldn't run riot.......I hope Daly, Stakelum and Hetherton have kept the lads focussed and away from the considerable hype. I still fear that the 5 week break might do for us....
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

65 euro on tickets.ie for tickets to both semi-finals.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

as a GAA novice can someone explain to me why kerry are blowing up so badly in the second half of games? old team? weak bench?

if they do that vs the dubs they will get tanked
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Do you mean the cavan game? wasn't blowing up in that, just in first gear after the first 10 mins
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

ribs wrote:Do you mean the cavan game? wasn't blowing up in that, just in first gear after the first 10 mins
they did the same vs cork in the 2nd half
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Mobilising shortly for the trip up to Croker.........potentially historic day for Dublin GAA.....I hope they do themselves justice today and the result will take care of itself.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Hard luck. It was a very good game. It was the first game that I got to sit down and watch this summer and it didn't disappoint. The sending off was very harsh (a theme of this summers championship) but Dubs lucky enough not to have a second man sent off.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

It will be tough going to work down here in The Gulag tomorrow. They love their hurling here and they aren't the most gracious of winners to put it mildly.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Avenger wrote:Hard luck. It was a very good game. It was the first game that I got to sit down and watch this summer and it didn't disappoint. The sending off was very harsh (a theme of this summers championship) but Dubs lucky enough not to have a second man sent off.
Great game....totally sick this morning...really feel for Ryan O'Dwyer...the first booking was ridiculous. You're quite right...Rushie was extremely lucky not to see red ......Cork just shaded it for me...they showed real composure and their stickwork was a little better....I wonder will AD stay on for another year?...that squad is still young enough to compete for the big prize for a few years yet.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

what's the mood leading up to this weekends game? surely the dubs must be red hot faves? Mayo looked v good last week and will take all the beating now
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

JB1973 wrote:what's the mood leading up to this weekends game? surely the dubs must be red hot faves? Mayo looked v good last week and will take all the beating now
They're playing Kerry....enough said.
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Dublin for the Sam Maguire. Kerry for your hollidays.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Dublin 3-18 Kerry 3-11 must be one of the most misleading scorelines I've ever come across. Fantastic game and a real pleasure to be at it. Kerry's first goal in particular was an absoloute peach. Great resolve from Dublin to not panic in the final 5 mins. They must be building effegies of Kevin McManamon in Killarney and Tralee at this stage :D

Super Match
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Cianostays wrote:Dublin 3-18 Kerry 3-11 must be one of the most misleading scorelines I've ever come across. Fantastic game and a real pleasure to be at it. Kerry's first goal in particular was an absoloute peach. Great resolve from Dublin to not panic in the final 5 mins. They must be building effegies of Kevin McManamon in Killarney and Tralee at this stage :D

Super Match
Can't add much more to that other than to say a great day to be a Dub and a great day to be Irish and proud of our games(and the exceptionally high standards achieved by our amateur players-extraordinary!)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

An absolute privilege to have been in Croke Park today. Just bloody brilliant.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish