Smart Phones

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Smart Phones

Post by Donny B. »

Well it's sad but by old Nokia E51 is finally packing it in after five years of loyal service.

So I'm looking to join the smartphone brigade.

Anyone got any recommendations on good deals?

Meteor is offering a Samsung S4 for 100 euro up front and then 49 a month for a 24-month contract.

Is that phone any good? Is it a fair price?

Any advice would be welcome
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Smart Phones

Post by fourthirtythree »

Is 50 a month a big step up in your contract? It would be an awful lot more than I use anyway. I'm sure the phone's very good (though not as good as their benchmarking would indicate - Samsung have a process running in the kernel that detects when benchmarking software is running and overclocks the processor!) . I have a HTC from a few years ago which is great but really needs to change battery. And was never actually all that great at reception. Little thing I know when your phone can be a satnav, a DAW, a web browser, a sky map, augmented reality yada yada, but I'm old fashioned and those little things matter to me.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

S4 is top if the range - main competitor with iphone5. If you have anyone overseas, get them to get you the nexus5 direct from google play - don't know why it isn't in ireland since google head quartered there, but best value top of the range phone and cuts out the middle man, think it is e349 and you can pick your own provider then. If not going to use all the bells and whistles, get a second hand or older model. Mid range, I got the acer e2 recently for e165 which has the latest android software, room for two sim cards (for those over seas travels) and does all you need, then stuck a 3 pay as you go sim card in it and will recharge 20/mth but will change sim if better offers. Considering what you were thinking of spending, that should save a bit. Honestly depends if you have wifi normally as to how much you can save
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Galaxy S4 is feckin huge. (about 3 times the size of an old nokia but a third of the thickness) Knowing your tech ability it may well be wasted on you. :)

Incredible camera. Really powerful. Great screen.

No fm radio which I find a pain in the hole. I use it for ref mike at HC and intl games. Even your old nokia has an FM Radio.
Replacement screen is a third of the price of a new one. (the real price of nearly 600 bills)

I have an s2 btw.

Personally I would consider an S3 (Which has an fm radio) Cheaper screen replacement. (I have never broken one, but some people do it often)

HTC are really nice too. The top one is also huge and slablike. Hard and expensive to get bits for though.

All android phones have the big advantage of being able to carry a spare battery and add extra memory for more songs, videos etc.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Donny B. wrote:Is that phone any good? Is it a fair price?
Yes, very good. Not a super deal when you break it down.

Two things to decide. Are you happy on choosing Android over iOS/Apple? The latter is more newbie-friendly (and a better ecosystem) but is more expensive (bang for buck) and restricted.

Second thing is to do some math. From your current usage (+the cost of a data on that your smart phone will need), what kind of bill would you have now. Low usage plans from around €15 a month (incl. data). Mid-usage from 25ish. So, if you're a low-usage guy, then €100+24*€49 - 24*€15 = €916, phone "cost" to you (i.e. not a good deal at all). However if you're a higher user that'd be on a €30 plan now any way (incl. some data), then the deal is a lot more attractive (€100+24*€49 - 24*€30) = €556 (a much better deal).

Look at your current usage, add some data (at the very least 256MB/month, probably 1GB if you're going to be using it on 3G/4G a good bit), and factor in some value of spreading the cost of the phone over 24 months (cost of credit). Then see if the deal is a good one!

You could whet your appetite with a cheaper phone, too. Buy a second hand iPhone 4s, or Galaxy S2 / S3. Getting your phone off-contract opens up a whole new world of better value plans, too.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Check out http://www.callcosts.ie to see what the best plan is based on your usage.

Seems to be plenty of deals for circa €20 pm that gets you unlimited calls/text/data on a PAYG basis (just buy a handset on adverts etc).
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote: All android phones have the big advantage of being able to carry a spare battery and add extra memory for more songs, videos etc.
Moving forward no Android phones will have spare batteries and the ability to add extra memory - Google want to lock their ecosystem down similar to Apples. The Nexus is the model for future Android devices and wasn't/isn't/won't be user expandable. Expect the next generation to have bespoke connectors as well - once you reach a certain point of market saturation its more profitable to drive standards than adopt them
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
johng wrote: All android phones have the big advantage of being able to carry a spare battery and add extra memory for more songs, videos etc.
Moving forward no Android phones will have spare batteries and the ability to add extra memory - Google want to lock their ecosystem down similar to Apples. The Nexus is the model for future Android devices and wasn't/isn't/won't be user expandable. Expect the next generation to have bespoke connectors as well - once you reach a certain point of market saturation its more profitable to drive standards than adopt them
I'll be saving up for the last generation that I can carry spare batteries for so. Get 2 so they will last..... And 5 batteries. :)
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

My brother has the Google Nexus 4 and loves it. As pointed out the Nexus 5 is out now. Another phone to look at is the Motorola Moto G - the 8gb phone is £135 16gb is £159 on Amazon. Bear in mind that Google own Motorola and have built this phone as per Googles instructions.

The reason these are worth looking at is you get full Android and all updates as Google intended without manufacturers bloatware.

Reviews of the Motorola

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones ... -50012772/
http://www.trustedreviews.com/motorola- ... one_review

Nexus 5 compared to Motorola

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/17 ... ust-specs/

The Nexus 5 and Motorola dont have the full capabilites of say the Galaxy S4 or HTC One but are Sim Free which gives you some good deals on monthly bills.

Three.ie do all you can eat data 350 flex units for €20.44 a month send txts by Viber and that is 350 mins of calls. So for around €162 you get the Motorolla phone and pay €20.44 a month which is a 30 day contract so if a better deal comes along move on to that.

Motorola - 490.56 + 162 = 652.56

Samsung - 100 + 1176 = 1276.

As I said the Samsung is a better phone but I am not sure it is worth twice the price.

Tesco also do a Sim Free 30 day contract for €20 - you get 600 any network minutes 600 any network texts and 1gb of data.

I am guessing you are not going to go mental with phone calls so I think the Three deal is quite good. The other half is looking at this deal as she uses Viber for txts etc and uses house phone for long calls home etc.

What carrier are you with and which one did you get the price for the S4 from? Obviously would be easier to compare deals.

On a personal note if I was getting a Smartphone I would want the Nexus 5 but get the Moto G.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Currently I'm with Meteor, with a 20 euro a month deal that gives me 200 texts/minutes and 1GB each month.

It suits me fine, only the odd month do I go over the text allocation which costs a few extra quid.

I went to a Meteor store and that was where I got the S4 deal from. No FM radio though? Well f%~k that anyway!!

I'm not that fussed about cameras or fancy screens, just want something that's easy to browse on the internet with plus doing all the normal phone things.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I would not necessarily get caught up on the FM Radio. My Dad has 1gb of Data a month and uses internet radio wherever he goes. Guessing you might want it for the ref radio would mean using another device max 6 times a year.

The deal from Three would exceed what you are getting each month by 150 minutes - as I said use viber and the txts are taken care of.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Just saw this for the Motorola Moto G. Other phones may have apps too.

Motorola Moto G FM Radio app added to Google Play

http://www.talkandroid.com/184145-motor ... ogle-play/
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

s4 not for you donny. the camera is the big deal about it. the screen the other one.

get one in your hand. they are very thin but fecken huge.

after a nokia they would feel massive.

if you got one of those stupid flappy leather flip down covers it would be banging off your belly button during a call.

Ian's suggestions sound good. might check one out myself whe the time comes. never used any of them personally.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

also fm radio over data connection can be a pain in the hole. obviously out of the question in a crowded lansdowne rd.

also in bad reception areas. yes there are areas that are bad for fm too.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Get an iPhone. They're easy to use, cover all your requirements & apple haters aside, people like them.

With the emergence of the 5 range of iPhones, you should be able to pick up a 4 or 4s for free or close to free.
Get in the f%~king bag.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I was talking to my Dad today and he mentioned that Tesco Mobile have a special on at the moment.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/pa ... plans.aspx

30 Day Sim Only - €20.00 per month 600 any network minutes 600 any network texts 1GB monthly data

12 Month Contract - €10.00per month 300 any network minutes 300 any network texts 1GB monthly data

Offer expires on 31/12/13. The way I see it get Sim Free phone sign up for the 30 Day Sim Only deal and if everything is ok sign up for the 12 Month Contract for €10 a month. This would mean you save a tenner and get more calls and txts per month and same data. I believe Tesco Mobile is based on the O2 network - I am sure someone else can confirm.

I would like to point out I dont work for any company I am detailing. I happen to be in the process of getting a phone for the other half and my Dad has just got a new phone recently hence all the facts and figures.

Another reason for the Moto G is this cover. Royal Blue my arse - it is Leinster Blue.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-Flip-Cover ... rds=moto+g
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

IanD wrote:I believe Tesco Mobile is based on the O2 network - I am sure someone else can confirm.
They are. Just watch for limited data rates (download speeds). Tesco said it was a temporary thing, but that went on for ages. I've no idea if it's still in place. The limit was still decent (1Mbps?), so not a concern unless you're going to be using data a good bit. They have some crackin' deals from time to time, and are reasonably responsive on social media. Also, they've had 2 extended outages (multi-day complete network failure) since they started; they're at the mercy of o2, because they don't run their own network at all, so that can be a pain.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Know a few up here who have been on Tesco and all was well until they tried to use the phones abroad.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I had a nokia 6230i for 10 years! felt like losing one of the family when i upgraded ;)

get an i phone 5 , they have everything on it and are idiot proof (even I can use it)
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

HTC One is your only man Donny ;)
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN