for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

R-Dog
Graduate

Re: Techy advice needed

Post by R-Dog »

meinster wrote:
R-Dog wrote:Got it working using Eircoms Fix
Can you let me know how you get to that page (linking to Eircom's site doesn't work, because the links expire!). I.e. Click here, there, and then there .. or search for X, etc.
R-Dog wrote:Had turned off my wifi security while doing, what would be the best security setting to make sure it all keeps working
In theory, WiFi security shouldn't affect the Apple devices (who all support the WEP and WPA-PSK that the Zyxel supports). I hope the "fix" wasn't to just disable it (as that would be an unacceptable risk IMO). The "best" (for normal residential use) is WPA2 (or WPA2-PSK). Your Zyxel mightn't have that, in which case WPA-PSK is the next best. WEP is really the last resort (as that's easily hackable by someone sitting outside your gaff). If you're turning on WiFi security again, and you don't use the same password you used before, don't forget to update each WiFi device that connects.

Here's hoping the fix is firewall/networking/firmware related, rather than just disabling WiFi security!

Cheers, I turned off the web security myself. Modem reset with the "fix" and was set to WPA-PSK, password was combo of numbers letter on the bottom of modem. Just avoiding typing it in.

Here is the link again:

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/ ... obj(10612)

or just type apple tv fix into the search if the link has expired. I can send you on the file if you want
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Perfect, thanks. That's helped out 2 people (who had both been told that it no longer was available). That's the "firmware" fix I was on about earlier.

Just go back to WPA-PSK. If you're using a new password, choose a long sentence (20-30+ letters) that's easy to type rather than a short random password (8 characters). More secure, and easier to type (even if it's longer).
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Anyone been able to change the APN settings on an iPhone 5 ?

Recently switched from 02 to 3, no matter how many times I sync my phone I can't get the carrier settings to update meaning I can't use data abroad (3 like home or roaming).

3 say they can see me trying to connect when in the UK but it's using the old 02 APN details, been on to Apple and they can't seem to change it, 3 say its an Apple issue :(
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

meinster wrote:Perfect, thanks. That's helped out 2 people (who had both been told that it no longer was available). That's the "firmware" fix I was on about earlier.

Just go back to WPA-PSK. If you're using a new password, choose a long sentence (20-30+ letters) that's easy to type rather than a short random password (8 characters). More secure, and easier to type (even if it's longer).
http://xkcd.com/936/
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I have a hotmail account - I access it form several different computers /phones. However, on one Mac, things have gone a bit awry.

On this mac, we use the default programme 'mail' for emails.

There are 3 accounts here. My hotmail account, My wives hotmail account and a work exchange account.

When I send mail from this computer, from my hotmail, it arrives at its destination as coming from my wife's account. Return emails go back to my wife's account.

This doesn't happen with any other device I use so I'm assuming the fix is somewhere in the settings in Mail on the Mac. I could be wrong.

The mail address is being masked or rerouted somehow, has anyone an idea how to undo this?

Its annoying rather than urgent, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Get in the f%~king bag.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Slipper... I believe the latest update to the OS screwed up mail functionality on Macs to some extent. I also think there is an ongoing problem between Hotmail (Microsoft) and Mac OS. I think it is something to do with the mail protocol used is not being supported fully by with MS or Apple (or both). Then on top of that MS have been migrating their hotmail accounts to Outlook.com. Am sure some of the tech experts on here might be able to point you in the direction of which of the three is your specific problem.

Could be an idea... At least in the short term... To use the web interface for outlook.com or there might be a MacOS app that you could use instead of the native mail app.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Slipper1 wrote:This doesn't happen with any other device I use so I'm assuming the fix is somewhere in the settings in Mail on the Mac.
Did it ever work on that Mac? It sounds like your outgoing servers (there should be more than 1) are getting mixed up. You can change which account uses which SMTP (outgoing) mail server in the preferences (something like Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Outgoing Server>XXX>Edit Server List). You should have 3 accounts, and 3 outgoing/SMTP servers. 1 SMTP server for your exchange (although that depends on how you set Exchange up), and one each for your two Hotmail accounts.

At a guess, you only have one outgoing Hotmail SMTP server configured (and both Hotmail accounts are using that). That, or you have two outgoing/SMTP servers, but both Hotmail accounts are using only one of those two (the same one).

Two Hotmail accounts should have two separate SMTP accounts (each with their own username/password login details; which are the same as the incoming mail login details).

I don't use Mail (easily the worst Email client I've ever used in 20 odd years), so I'm not much help, but that's where I'd start.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Thank you both. Doc, there very well could have been an update, I tend to just install them as they appear. I can send on the phone or iPad if absolutely necessary, the web interface is also an option.

Meinster, it all worked perfectly up to some stage last week, I personally don't think I would have changed any settings, I can't guarantee anyone else didn't.

As a traditional Joe, I tend to use the 'built in' mechanisms to set up the mail originally, I assume that would have selected the correct servers but my limited knowledge understands your solution to a point so I'll check it out & come back to you!
Get in the f%~king bag.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Slipper1 wrote:Thank you both. Doc, there very well could have been an update, I tend to just install them as they appear. I can send on the phone or iPad if absolutely necessary, the web interface is also an option.

Meinster, it all worked perfectly up to some stage last week, I personally don't think I would have changed any settings, I can't guarantee anyone else didn't.

As a traditional Joe, I tend to use the 'built in' mechanisms to set up the mail originally, I assume that would have selected the correct servers but my limited knowledge understands your solution to a point so I'll check it out & come back to you!
I'm going to bet it was the MacOS update (Mavericks?)... Recent update and I heard there were mail issues with the update.

Think there is a new update version being worked on to remedy. Keep an eye out. If I dig out more info I will post it.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Slipper1 wrote:Thank you both. Doc, there very well could have been an update, I tend to just install them as they appear. I can send on the phone or iPad if absolutely necessary, the web interface is also an option.

Dont shoot me for asking the obvious, but, you are selecting the correct 'from' account when you are composing the mail? - are you saying regardless of which drop down 'from' you select it always sends from the wrong one?

What you could do, is under preferences and accounts in mail is to de-select enable this account for the ones you dont want to send from to try and force it to use the right one - might give us a clue as to whats going on.....
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

or, of course the old - do a full shut down,(not just a re-start!!) and re-start trick of the mac itself.....fixes many an issue....!!!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Yep, I did consider the 'chose the correct account problem'! But I did and it arrives at it's destination with my signature but her address.
Before I asked for help, I did the shut down/ turn back on solution, always my first port of call!

Doc, Mavericks update was a bitch. They changed iTunes updating as well to remove any opportunity to control contacts and calendars from the computer - forced people to move to iCloud. That really annoyed me.

I removed my wife's account from the computer and sent a mail from my account and all was fine - when the second account went back on, the problem resurfaced. This lends weight to Meinster and his lucky guess as to what's wrong.
Get in the f%~king bag.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Slipper1 wrote:Yep, I did consider the 'chose the correct account problem'! But I did and it arrives at it's destination with my signature but her address.
Before I asked for help, I did the shut down/ turn back on solution, always my first port of call!

Doc, Mavericks update was a bitch. They changed iTunes updating as well to remove any opportunity to control contacts and calendars from the computer - forced people to move to iCloud. That really annoyed me.

I removed my wife's account from the computer and sent a mail from my account and all was fine - when the second account went back on, the problem resurfaced. This lends weight to Meinster and his lucky guess as to what's wrong.
As per Meinsters post, do you have a discreet account with differing user names and setting for each of the hotmail accounts ? - your account is fine but when you add back your wifes, this is over riding the settings by the sounds of it. there is a check box in the preferences for smtp to say 'use only this server' try deselecting that as maybe thats whats over riding the send. Will see what our engineers think....
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Hmmm, that checkbox rings a bell. I'll check it out when back at home. thanks.
Would you reckon it needs to be deselected for both accounts or just one of them?
Get in the f%~king bag.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

I would de-select that for all, then it may well prompt you when you send to tell it which smtp server to use - certainly worth a go....
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Seems to be sorted now - the checkbox / SMTP server thingy seemed to solve it - somehow. I unchecked everything, restarted, then rechecked them again.

As far as i can make out, the settings remain the same as before, but its working now so I'm not going near it again.

Thanks to you all for your help.
Get in the f%~king bag.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Slipper1 wrote:Seems to be sorted now - the checkbox / SMTP server thingy seemed to solve it - somehow. I unchecked everything, restarted, then rechecked them again.

As far as i can make out, the settings remain the same as before, but its working now so I'm not going near it again.

Thanks to you all for your help.

there seem to be a number of issues like this with mavericks where a de-select reselect and or reboot makes it work - feckin apple!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Got Horizon today and my Xbox Live is now no longer working. Anyone else experience this problem, and if so what is the fix?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

You may need to adjust the IP in the network settings of your Xbox.
Usually setting it to "receive IP address automatically" or somesuch, will do the job.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Was recently running an update on iTunes which crashed mid update due I believe to poor internet connection, update failed and was unable to restart so have tried to repair/reinstall but to no avail. Continually getting the following error message:

Runtime Error

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the applications support team for more information.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas where I might be going wrong? I'm running on windows vista os. Thought a repair and then failing that a reinstall would fix it but no joy.