ROG

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: ROG

Post by Darce »

TrapperChamonix wrote:My Outstanding memory is of him in the match against Wales in Cardiff in 2003 (I think). Came on with 10 or 15 mins to go. Stephen Jones dropped a goal 2 mins into Injury time (remember that?). 30 seconds later and RoG had scored another to cancel it out.

The one thing I did wonder about the documentary last night was how he didn't see any parallel between his battle with Humpreys and Sexton.
Den Hickie subsequently charged down another drop goal attempt also..
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Darce wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:My Outstanding memory is of him in the match against Wales in Cardiff in 2003 (I think). Came on with 10 or 15 mins to go. Stephen Jones dropped a goal 2 mins into Injury time (remember that?). 30 seconds later and RoG had scored another to cancel it out.

The one thing I did wonder about the documentary last night was how he didn't see any parallel between his battle with Humpreys and Sexton.
Was that not Big Mal charging down from about a mile offside or am I thinking of another match?
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:
Darce wrote:

Was that not Big Mal charging down from about a mile offside or am I thinking of another match?
extract from the ROG book:

http://books.google.ie/books?id=-_oEl_R ... ck&f=false
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/colu ... 55669.html
Seanie is a home boy, the pride of Carlow. He’s rock star material down there. I won’t say he has single-handedly made Leinster what they are, but is, in microcosm, the reason the province are such a powerful and well-resourced organisation these days.

Remember that 2006 Heineken Cup semi-final at Lansdowne Road, the one where Munster came up with the ham sandwiches and blew the froth off the D4 cappuccinos? When red engulfed a Dublin venue. That was easy because it was Munster v Dublin. A lot of provincial Leinster — the sort of areas that O’Brien represents — would have been as much Munster supporters as Leinster back then.

Nowadays, Mick Dawson and the Leinster executive might still be pulling their corporate bucks from Dublin, but they’re pulling the travelling armies from Carlow, Kildare, Wicklow, Meath, Louth and Kilkenny. Sean O’Brien can account for a lot of that.
Typical lazy cr@p from a Cork k"ob. Seanie is the first country boy to play for the dubs? So where does Darcy, Cullen, R&D Kearney, Heaslip and Toner come from.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

blockhead wrote:http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/colu ... 55669.html
Seanie is a home boy, the pride of Carlow. He’s rock star material down there. I won’t say he has single-handedly made Leinster what they are, but is, in microcosm, the reason the province are such a powerful and well-resourced organisation these days.

Remember that 2006 Heineken Cup semi-final at Lansdowne Road, the one where Munster came up with the ham sandwiches and blew the froth off the D4 cappuccinos? When red engulfed a Dublin venue. That was easy because it was Munster v Dublin. A lot of provincial Leinster — the sort of areas that O’Brien represents — would have been as much Munster supporters as Leinster back then.

Nowadays, Mick Dawson and the Leinster executive might still be pulling their corporate bucks from Dublin, but they’re pulling the travelling armies from Carlow, Kildare, Wicklow, Meath, Louth and Kilkenny. Sean O’Brien can account for a lot of that.

Typical lazy cr@p from a Cork k"ob. Seanie is the first country boy to play for the dubs? So where does Darcy, Cullen, R&D Kearney, Heaslip and Toner come from.
To be fair...and whether we like it or not, there's a fair degree of truth in that part of the statement. An awful lot has changed in the last 8 years however and you are correct, there are other players who, in addition to Seanie, have helped create a true 12 County Army of support.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Respectively in rugby terms they come from
Clongowes, Blackrock College, Clongowes, Clongowes, Newbridge College and Castleknock.

Seanie comes from TULLOW rugby

Don't be so sensitive. He is only saying that Your more rural neighbours and provincial towns supporters find it easier to identify with SOB and his rugby background than with the Leinster schools cup background of many of the squad. While a Blackrock old boy will obviously identify with the likes of BOD, Cullen, Luke etc a young fella learning his trade with a less traditional club without the will or wherewithal to receive a private fee paying educations can aspire to follow the rugby route of Seanie.

Even though ROG said it , that's good.

What did the Roman's do for us.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on January 19th, 2014, 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

All Blacks nil wrote:

Respectively they come from
Clongowes, Blackrock College, Clongowes, Clongowes, Newbridge College and Castleknock.
Jaysus, schools never offered maternity services in my days
I have Bumbleflex
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

blockhead wrote:Typical lazy cr@p from a Cork k"ob.
And yet he's spot on. Don't shoot the messenger.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Dave Cahill wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Respectively they come from
Jaysus, schools never offered maternity services in my days
The next line might put my argument in context
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I ignored it because it was wrong.

Sean played for Tullow Community School. Tullow RFC were having problems fielding age grade teams because every time they got a half decent player they were being pinched by the local big town club whose name I am not allowed utter. They approached the then headmaster of the Community School to start a formal school team (rugby was played in the school but not on an organised basis) that would enter the Leinster Schools competitions. That would make the players less attractive to other clubs as they would be ring fenced to a certain extent under the somewhat arcane and nebulous regulations that govern schools rugby. Sean is as much a product of the Leinster Schools system as Brian O'Driscoll or Rob Kearney.

Sean actually started playing rugby for Ballon in the Community Games.
I have Bumbleflex
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Dave Cahill wrote:I ignored it because it was wrong.

Sean played for Tullow Community School. Tullow RFC were having problems fielding age grade teams because every time they got a half decent player they were being pinched by the local big town club whose name I am not allowed utter. They approached the then headmaster of the Community School to start a formal school team (rugby was played in the school but not on an organised basis) that would enter the Leinster Schools competitions. That would make the players less attractive to other clubs as they would be ring fenced to a certain extent under the somewhat arcane and nebulous regulations that govern schools rugby. Sean is as much a product of the Leinster Schools system as Brian O'Driscoll or Rob Kearney.

Sean actually started playing rugby for Ballon in the Community Games.
First of all you obviously have a close knowledge of SOB's early rugby and it's good to see another Community Gamer making the grade.

I'm not sure many including SOB would agree with you. But you are entitled to your opinion that a player who went to a school that never played in the Leinster Schools Cup is a product of the Schools system. He went to school -yes as did literally every other kid in the country

I imagine TULLOW RFC and the rest of the Leinster YOUTHS system might disagree with you.

SOB is the perfect illustration as to why Leinster should continue to develop the YOUTHS system to complement the SCHOOLS system.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Theres a lot more to schools rugby in Leinster (and I'm sure other provinces too) than just the Schools Cups, in fact most of the schools rugby played in Ireland is outside of the main provincial Schools Cup competitions - indeed on wednesday Tullow CS won the Development Cup (Sean was on the winning team in the Dev Shield a decade ago). Outside of the top level competitions schools and clubs operate quite well together, the schools system is actually a boon to smaller clubs in smaller towns as it gives them a shot at keeping the best players in the town rather than moving to clubs in bigger towns.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

All Blacks nil wrote:

Respectively in rugby terms they come from

Seanie comes from TULLOW rugby

Don't be so sensitive. He is only saying that Your more rural neighbours and provincial towns supporters find it easier to identify with SOB and his rugby background than with the Leinster schools cup background of many of the squad. While a Blackrock old boy will obviously identify with the likes of BOD, Cullen, Luke etc a young fella learning his trade with a less traditional club without the will or wherewithal to receive a private fee paying educations can aspire to follow the rugby route of Seanie.

Even though ROG said it , that's good.

What did the Roman's do for us.
Except it's boll@x!

The growth of Leinster rugby predates SOB and winning the HEC(not something that's understood outside Tunipstan). ROG is basically saying that the reason Leinster has become such a powerhouse is because of some mystical bogger power that SOB has over culchies. It's not. It's because of the branch and the work it's done to build it from a very small base. There's some truth in the marketability of SOB over other members of the Leinster squad. He's the tank! Even Munster fans like him! They'd like him just the same if he were from D12

I'm from Meath now a season ticket holder but I've been following Leinster since the 90s. I'll never sing COYBIB! My favorite player was Shaggy for a long time partly because he was from Meath but also because he was a good player. Had he been sh*te he'd probably not of been my favorite player. I'm tired of the salt of the earth narrative, it's lazy! The reason Leinster succeeded Munster as the premier team in Irish provincial rugby had nothing to do with the background or up bringing of it's players. It was because they worked harder for it and wanted it more. Stop listening to the lazy sh*te pedalled by the print media(you're probably their biggest market) and you might see that.

I'd take issue with the idea that country people identify with Munster more coz etc...The Lunster fans were as much Dublin as anywhere else. They identified with a team that was winning IMO. It's reflected by the demand for tickets in Munster now.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

paddyor wrote:ROG is basically saying that the reason Leinster has become such a powerhouse is because of some mystical bogger power that SOB has over culchies.
ROG said no such thing; in fact he explicitly said that wasn't the case.

It's an old stereotype (the D4 thing) that SoB did wonders to counteract, but so too did the branch, and the work to formalise the OLSC to tie in with the move to the RDS. RoG simply alluded to that (and also the fact that it was no longer the case).
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Paddyor wrote:

I'd take issue with the idea that country people identify with Munster more coz etc...The Lunster fans were as much Dublin as anywhere else

Absolutely not Paddy....can't agree with that at all......
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

meinster wrote:
paddyor wrote:ROG is basically saying that the reason Leinster has become such a powerhouse is because of some mystical bogger power that SOB has over culchies.

It's an old stereotype (the D4 thing) that SoB did wonders to counteract, but so too did the branch, and the work to formalise the OLSC to tie in with the move to the RDS. RoG simply alluded to that (and also the fact that it was no longer the case).
I won’t say he has single-handedly made Leinster what they are, but is, in microcosm, the reason the province are such a powerful and well-resourced organisation these days.
Is what he said! And IMHO that's like "well he's not this but at the same time he is kind of". He didn't explicity say that wasn't the case, he preambled with a clause he then ignores.

As I see it he's the product of the branches hard work and proof, because apparently to a certain small minded part of the community it was needed, that the stereotype was BS. He didn't have to be from Carlow, be a farmer or be publicly educated just a great player. He's the egg rather than the chicken.
Nelly the elephant wrote:Absolutely not Paddy....can't agree with that at all......
Nelly we'll agree to disagree. In my experience I've met as many Lunster fans from the greater Dublin area(incl. the pale and the exurbs) as from the country.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

paddyor wrote:
meinster wrote:

I won’t say he has single-handedly made Leinster what they are, but is, in microcosm, the reason the province are such a powerful and well-resourced organisation these days.
Is what he said! And IMHO that's like "well he's not this but at the same time he is kind of". He didn't explicity say that wasn't the case, he preambled with a clause he then ignores.

As I see it he's the product of the branches hard work and proof, because apparently to a certain small minded part of the community it was needed, that the stereotype was BS. He didn't have to be from Carlow, be a farmer or be publicly educated just a great player. He's the egg rather than the chicken.
Nelly the elephant wrote:Absolutely not Paddy....can't agree with that at all......
Nelly we'll agree to disagree. In my experience I've met as many Lunster fans from the greater Dublin area(incl. the pale and the exurbs) as from the country.
Not my experience but hey, cool.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Sean O'Brien is relentlessly patronised by his fans from outside Leinster and the media narrative around him, which O'Gara churns here, is also deeply patronising and lazy.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote: He didn't have to be from Carlow, be a farmer or be publicly educated just a great player. He's the egg rather than the chicken.
If SOB is the egg, would that make Bernard Jackman the Tullow Chicken?
Now Trevor Brennan, there was a proper schools toff!!

Would have to agree RE: Dublin Lunsters know plenty of them.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan