Phantom FM

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Phantom FM

Post by meinster »

I was just talking about live commentary (which would imply having to be an ERC media partner).. but like BW says, I just got the posts mixed up. Haven't tuned in to Phantom at all since "they've changed"! Nice to have those media partners, though.. they really add to the buzz for non-rugby people. Taxi drivers, for example, are all about the match when picking you up outside the HSH in the Carlsberg taxi queue.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Heard Richie doing sports report on Newstalk this morning. A new gig?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Amz wrote:Heard Richie doing sports report on Newstalk this morning. A new gig?
Hes moved to Communicorps sports department, he can be heard doing sports reports across most of their stations, as well as doing the odd spot on Phantom, usually on John Cadells (excellent) show
I have Bumbleflex
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Ah, I see. Thanks Dave!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sad day, some great dj's being let go.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Very sad, they had some ups and downs in terms of programming but they had some great shows like cinerama, rock n goal, classic rock. Will miss lads like jack hyland, the two Ritchie's, john cadel etc etc.

What's replacing it?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:Very sad, they had some ups and downs in terms of programming but they had some great shows like cinerama, rock n goal, classic rock. Will miss lads like jack hyland, the two Ritchie's, john cadel etc etc.

What's replacing it?
Its 'rebranding' as TXFM - its going to be a 'partner' station to Today FM. It doesn't sound promising, especially as all the best talent has gone.

Edit: John Cadell is staying actually, which is at least one bright light
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

John Cadell staying is a huge plus but still usually anything that needs to put an "X" in its name to be cutting edge has failed at the outset. (Unless it's part of bringing back X minus 1)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

A good read about Richie Mc's early days with Phantom

http://conduitforrent.blogspot.ie/2014/ ... board.html
I have Bumbleflex
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Apocrypha wrote:
Exile wrote:No more Nadine O'Regan!
I thought the dulcet tones of a Turnip would drive you to the drink?

Surely a bittah ol' Glenda's wotcha wan roysch? :lol:
I could listen to Nadine reading the phone book. I've been in exile here in The Gulag so long I'm immune to the accent.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

They're only keeping 3 dj's. Clare beck, John cadell and Joe from the morning show.... I like the first 2. Losing the 2 richies from a station that wants to differentiate itself from the pop mill is retarded. Those 2 and JC are goldmines.
Last edited by Peg Leg on March 16th, 2014, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:A good read about Richie Mc's early days with Phantom

http://conduitforrent.blogspot.ie/2014/ ... board.html
Nice one Dave, nostalgic read. Those lads provided the soundtrack to my younger yrs.
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:Very sad, they had some ups and downs in terms of programming but they had some great shows like cinerama, rock n goal, classic rock. Will miss lads like jack hyland, the two Ritchie's, john cadel etc etc.

What's replacing it?
Its 'rebranding' as TXFM - its going to be a 'partner' station to Today FM. It doesn't sound promising, especially as all the best talent has gone.

Edit: John Cadell is staying actually, which is at least one bright light
Cadell is excellent alright but being the sloppy seconds to Today FM is a depressing thought indeed, Further proof that Denis O'Brien is the root of all evil in Irish broadcasting. A corrupt lowlife that won't be happy until all the media is a docile place where no one will dare to investigate shoddy tw@ts like him.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donny B. wrote: Further proof that Denis O'Brien is the root of all evil in Irish broadcasting.
No, he's not. We the people are, and he just satiates us. If there were a market for a 24 hour tibetan nose flute channel, O'Brien would fill that need if there was a few bob to be made from it. But there isn't. The irish listening public don't want to be challenged musically, they just want the blandest white noise possible, musical magnolia, be it whatever pop tart currently gives the best blow jobs or 'classic' 'rock' shite. Even people who like 'alternative' 'music' can be so woefully doctrinaire in their taste than one wonders if it is the music they like or the lifestyle statement claiming to like that music makes. The day the job losses and 'restructuring' was announced at Phantom, the two Richies had the funniest most pointed playlist, lots of songs about being screwed by the man, defeats, goodbyes, that sort of stuff, and people complained that one of the songs was Waterloo by ABBA.

Ultimately, we make our choices and we get the channels we deserve. We didn't deserve Phantom so we lost it.

Its going to be Simon Maher's http://8radio.com/ for me for the foreseeable future
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Donny B. wrote: Further proof that Denis O'Brien is the root of all evil in Irish broadcasting.
No, he's not. We the people are, and he just satiates us. If there were a market for a 24 hour tibetan nose flute channel, O'Brien would fill that need if there was a few bob to be made from it. But there isn't. The irish listening public don't want to be challenged musically, they just want the blandest white noise possible, musical magnolia, be it whatever pop tart currently gives the best blow jobs or 'classic' 'rock' shite. Even people who like 'alternative' 'music' can be so woefully doctrinaire in their taste than one wonders if it is the music they like or the lifestyle statement claiming to like that music makes. The day the job losses and 'restructuring' was announced at Phantom, the two Richies had the funniest most pointed playlist, lots of songs about being screwed by the man, defeats, goodbyes, that sort of stuff, and people complained that one of the songs was Waterloo by ABBA.

Ultimately, we make our choices and we get the channels we deserve. We didn't deserve Phantom so we lost it.

Its going to be Simon Maher's http://8radio.com/ for me for the foreseeable future
Sad but true but DOB is still a c~*k mind!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I have been listening to BBC 6. Has a really mixed variety of music and a real eclectic range of DJs from Lauren Laverne to Huey Morgan from the FLC.

They also do a lot of one off specials from guest djs like Brian Molko playing all the music that influenced him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Perhaps they didnt understand the waterloo reference! No doubt they've learned since. A lot of music fans can be stuck right up their own arses. I like what i like and i dont have a habit of researching artists and song meanings. I rarely have a single artists full back catalogue and some of my favourite artists have produced utter dirge. But the good is good and the bad is bad, i still fail to understand this need to be aligned to one scene or the other. Not sure what my point is other than i reckon DC is a music snob!
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote: i reckon DC is a music snob!
I'd say I'm a quality snob alright, its a fair accusation, but I'm not a genre snob as such. A good pop song is easily the equal of anything else in the world of music. A 'Womanizer' or 'Shine' or 'No Diggity' is the match of a 'Glósóli' or 'Autobahn' or 'Transmission'
I have Bumbleflex
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Irish people just want to make requests and listen to them. You could probably leave out the music and the news and have a successful Irish radio station playing nothing but requests. Drives me f%~king nuts.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

So bit of a limbo station while TXFM gets ready to roll out.

http://radiotoday.ie/2014/03/phantom-sa ... fm-launch/