New Ireland Forwards Coach

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

New Ireland Forwards Coach

Post by simonokeeffe »

With Plumtree going back to NZ after Argentina for family reasons who is liable/desirable to get in?

If Penney had have stayed in Munster then Foley would be a shoe in but wont take it/be offered it now I reckon after just being installed as head coach
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: New Ireland Forwards Coach

Post by Oldschool »

Dean Ryan would be interested in the job I would think.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:Dean Ryan would be interested in the job I would think.
job he did with Worcester he'd be interested in a job in Lidl now
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I don't know about you guys, but I think Clermont-ferrand is a bit of a kip. Dublin is where it's at!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I think Clermont-ferrand is a bit of a kip. Dublin is where it's at!
sure coaching Jamie Cudmore is closer to lion taming
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

simonokeeffe wrote:
To be fair he did a good job with Scotland as a forwards coach. Not saying he's a great head coach but wouldn't be a bad shout imo.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Cianostays wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
To be fair he did a good job with Scotland as a forwards coach. Not saying he's a great head coach but wouldn't be a bad shout imo.
It would be slightly harsh on Worcester for him to have spent all season talking about a 5 year plan and then leaving after one year with them down in the Championship.

I do like the idea of Jonno sticking around and reuniting with Joe but Clermont probably don't.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

If you can't see out your contract, don't take the job. Bullshit excuse from Plumtree, IMO.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cianostays wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
at best he did a good job in the circumstances ie Scott Johnson's mania IMO
jezzer wrote:If you can't see out your contract, don't take the job. Bullshit excuse from Plumtree, IMO.
did you say same thing about Isa when he retired? :P
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

He left the s15 with his rep in a hoop, now he's heading back after a successful (but short) stint with us. If he's in a job in the next 3 months, I'd say it was work.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Hes the new Hurricanes coach with chris boyd.
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 80,00.html
BOD is GOD!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

simonokeeffe wrote:
jezzer wrote:If you can't see out your contract, don't take the job. Bullshit excuse from Plumtree, IMO.
They're not even vaguely comparable, imo
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Based on an interview he did just before he joined Ireland and after he was dumped by the Sharks - with a good reputation BTW - he indicated that he would like to go back to NZ to Coach in the Super 15. I wouldn't be surprised if JS knew he was on the lookout for something day to day, rather than a National Job far from home or even far from adopted home.

He's been a valuable addition for Ireland during his Season with us. He was a good foil for JS and had his own mind about how things should be done. No complaints except that he would have been a good guy to hold onto. No chance of getting Jono Gibbs. He is set fair for Clermont and Jono likes the day to day.

It is however a classic dilemma. Being a National team coach is a total misnomer. It's totally unlike real coaching and much more about Player and Man Management of other people's time and outlook. JS probably has to spend as much time talking to provincial coaches about how individual players are going and what he sees as their work-ons. He gets them for approximately three periods (5/6 weeks from last week in October to end November; 7/8 weeks from last week in January to last week in March; 4/5 weeks from end May to 3rd week in June) totalling 18/20 weeks a year which is preparing for 10/11 games. In RWC year, next Season, he will get them for 12/13 weeks from end July to mid-October. That's really the only period in which he can coach them individually, everything else is team work, moves, analysis of opposition and rest.

Picking a forwards coach in world rugby, who is prepared to work as No 2 and doesn't have his eyes on a move is fairly difficult. However, if JS wants a Forward's coach till post RWC 2015, I'm sure that between David Nucifora and himself, they will be able to nail whoever they want. I suspect that in world rugby at present, this would be considered a very attractive job and a very good number to polish your CV and learn from JS - a nice bit of Continuous Professional Development.

Given a free draw and remembering that we already have a scrum coach in Greg Feek, I would be very happy to get any one of:
  • Jim Mallinder
    Todd Blackadder
    Frans Ludeke (Blue Bulls)
    Rob Baxter
    Steve Borthwich
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
  • Jim Mallinder - New improved BT sponsored contract would be my guess
    Todd Blackadder
    Frans Ludeke (Blue Bulls)
    Rob Baxter
    Steve Borthwich - On his way to Japan I think
What's Robbie Deans at?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jezzer wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
They're not even vaguely comparable, imo
am winding you up a wee bit, if it was entirely (unexpected) legitimate family reasons its fair enough I think

year out from a RWC not a great time to be looking

Jackman worth a shot or can/will we go from someone with more experience?

Michael Foley is out of contract at Rebels,
Ludeke is contracted to 2016
Last edited by simonokeeffe on June 2nd, 2014, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oh yes, each one on that list is contracted, but then there are none that I would want that aren't.

A complete bolt from the blue could be Johann Muller, he of recent Ulster captaincy, World Cup winner and former Sharks line-out caller, who knows everything about Irish line-out and maul options and appears to be a really well-admired guy.

This role is about good knowledge of line-out, restarts, maul and ruck, forward's defensive duties coming out of set pieces and development of the pack as a cohesive unit. Joe will do the big picture, Feeky will cover the scrum and Les K will sort the overall defence. Can you make an Irish pack as effective as a Blue Bulls or Chiefs pack, whilst optimising the strengths of PO'C, SO'B, Toner, Henderson, Heaslip, Healy, PO'M, Best, Cronin, Ross, McGrath, Henry in a constantly aggressive fashion.

We now have sufficient forwards to compete against the best in the world at full strength, if we can keep them all fit and get them to optimise the various different strengths they have. Mueller could do that job and has a huge advantage of in-depth knowledge of what each of those guys is good at. Leo C could also do it but he is committed to Leinster and we cannot do without him
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

simonokeeffe wrote: Jackman worth a shot or can/will we go from someone with more experience?
Does jackman have any expereience as a forwards coach? IIRC he started as a defense coach and he's only getting the top gig now.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: Jackman worth a shot or can/will we go from someone with more experience?
Does jackman have any expereience as a forwards coach? IIRC he started as a defense coach and he's only getting the top gig now.
In France he was definitely defence and collisions coach at very least this season, he may have had rucks as well but am not sure on that one
Think Feek was doing rucks for Leinster as well as scrums or at least assisting on them
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I'd like Jamie Joseph.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

for those who asked Dingo Deans has a head coaching gig in Japan