Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Restaurant/Take Away Review Thread

Post by Hippo »

TerenureJim wrote:Been hearing great things about Dublin 7 in/around Stoneybatter and Smithfield seems like a new foodie district perhaps on a par with Ranelagh is beginning to emerge....
Hmm Ranelagh is full of restaurants alright, not sure about the overall quality though!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote:I have been there probably less than 10 times since it opened. (Must be over 10 years ago?) Never been impressed. Food OK, service sometimes good sometimes bad. Dear for what you get.

Then again I don't eat wings......
There really is no reason to go there if you (or someone in your group) doesn't eat wings - it is average other than that (and pretty noisy for some reason - maybe I'm just getting old)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

TerenureJim wrote:Been hearing great things about Dublin 7 in/around Stoneybatter and Smithfield seems like a new foodie district perhaps on a par with Ranelagh is beginning to emerge....
I think in general since the recession hit restaurants have had to improve all over Ireland. I recently spent some time in very small villages on the Shannon and all the food we had was very good. A really pleasant surprise was a very tasty curry in a hotel in Mountshannon which I assure you aint a hotspot of restaurant activity.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I've said it before but will say it again.

If any of ye Godforsaken Dubs are looking for a special treat then avoid McNeans and try Viewmount House in Longford. Excellent restaurant and it does brilliant B&B.

I'm not related.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Went to Las Tapas de Lola in Wexford St last night and had a right good meal. Pub next door had an excellent selection of ales also. Pleased.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

domhnallj wrote:Went to Las Tapas de Lola in Wexford St last night and had a right good meal. Pub next door had an excellent selection of ales also. Pleased.
Monday night tapas and ales? The only way to start the week.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

offshorerules wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Went to Las Tapas de Lola in Wexford St last night and had a right good meal. Pub next door had an excellent selection of ales also. Pleased.
Monday night tapas and ales? The only way to start the week.
Pub next door is Against The Grain, very decent range/selection of drinking options.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

the spoofer wrote:I've said it before but will say it again.

If any of ye Godforsaken Dubs are looking for a special treat then avoid McNeans and try Viewmount House in Longford. Excellent restaurant and it does brilliant B&B.

I'm not related.
We stay there for a family reunion dinner every Christmas. What a spot, a place you can truly unwind and relax for a couple of days... (not related either)

hard to believe it's in Longford :shock: (joke)
Speaking of Wexford St, and for a more casual occasion, Bunsen does the best burgers in Dublin by a distance.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

simonno6 wrote:
the spoofer wrote:I've said it before but will say it again.

I'm not related.
We stay there for a family reunion dinner every Christmas. What a spot, a place you can truly unwind and relax for a couple of days... (not related either)

hard to believe it's in Longford :shock: (joke)
Speaking of Wexford St, and for a more casual occasion, Bunsen does the best burgers in Dublin by a distance.
I will find you and I will kill you.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

simonno6 wrote: Speaking of Wexford St, and for a more casual occasion, Bunsen does the best burgers in Dublin by a distance.
This is true. Don't eat for a day in advance though.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Zest in Clane is well worth a visit if you're in that neck of the woods. Popped down for dinner a few weeks back as I felt like a change from Maynooth.

The service was great and the food was lovely. I'm a carnivore and had steak, which was cooked exactly to my taste, so left me very happy :)
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Can recommend Mulligans in Stoneybatter. It's a gastro pub, has a wide variety of craft beers if that's your thing. If it's not the food is great and reasonably priced for what you get IMO. The Scotch Egg, Moules Frites and the beef and black pudding burger are good. Have only been to Slice for tea and cake but the menu looked interesting. Bit put off by it's hipsterishness, will give it a go though. GFs brother says theirs a good Italian around their somewhere. Third Space in Smithfield square(Liffey end) is nice for lunch or a snack not so much breakfast though. It sometimes does a dinner.

Elsewhere
Ashtons in Clonskeagh, also a gastro pub, IIRC does a midweek special of 2 courses for €24 with recommended craft beers for an additional €3 each. The Scotch egg alone as snack is worth a visit. It's got crackling and black pudding. It's genius!. Wings are a little unconventional in shape but I liked them.

The Goat in Clonskeagh is okay. Been there a couple of times and the service and food has been good and bad. The pate is always a feast though.

Smyths in Ranelagh is good enough. I'll go again.

The Butcher Grill in Ranelagh was very good but expensive. Pretty sure there's no vegetarian option. I've only been there once mind. Been planning to go again for a while.

Super Miss Sue on the corner of Drury Street is great for seafood. Again it's not cheap but service was good and menu was different. Kind of a seafood / tapas menu. Only a "cafe" and chipper at the moment with the main restaurant to open soon. Don't think they do bookings. Midweek(possibly only 2 days) special on the seafood platter is great value I'm told but can't remember the price.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Enforcer
Beginner

Post by Enforcer »

If any of you go to Lisbon, Portugal a great newly opened restaurant in the Bairro Alto area. http://www.lisboanoite.com/eng/index.html

Great service and lovely food. I recommend going for a fish dish - their speciality
I'm onto you!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

A future one for Sheepshagger and DonnyB

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-ne ... ns-4960485

Plans for a KFC in the car park of the Halfway House in Walkinstown.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I murder a snack-box right now!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Hornet wrote:A future one for Sheepshagger and DonnyB

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-ne ... ns-4960485

Plans for a KFC in the car park of the Halfway House in Walkinstown.
Jaysus, don't include me in this, Sheepshagger is the KFC obsessive, I can't stand their greasy muck.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

You were probably included because you drink there. Agree on KFC even among the muck that is Bugger King and McDeathalds it tastes like chyte.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

johng wrote:You were probably included because you drink there. Agree on KFC even among the muck that is Bugger King and McDeathalds it tastes like chyte.
Correct on all counts!
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Hornet wrote:
johng wrote:You were probably included because you drink there. Agree on KFC even among the muck that is Bugger King and McDeathalds it tastes like chyte.
Correct on all counts!
If I want junk food after pints there are already plenty of better options, but more often than not I resist temptation anyway.
Didn't cop where they want to put it, the first time I read it. That place is about the only decent parking in that area for people using the bank and the pub. Would prefer if the car park stayed, regardless of the quality of restaurant.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone been to Sophie in the new Dean hotel yet, looks like they have incredible views (in fact it surprises me that no one has opened a rooftop restaurant in this style before) but haven't heard a word on the food....