All Ireland League - Thread

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

ormond lad
Graduate

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Post by ormond lad »

FrankBurke wrote:No game in Cork in Divisions in AIL this weekend. Then next weekend Tarf & Lansdowne are playing in Cork. Madness.
completely disagree. Having all the top flight games in Dublin this weekend is a great way to start the league.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

ormond lad wrote:
FrankBurke wrote:No game in Cork in Divisions in AIL this weekend. Then next weekend Tarf & Lansdowne are playing in Cork. Madness.
completely disagree. Having all the top flight games in Dublin this weekend is a great way to start the league.
From a Dublin perspective I agree. But with so many game sin Dublin it will detract from the attendances. While here in The Gulag there is nothing. Next week there will be two v attractive games here at the same time.

As I said....madness.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

FrankBurke wrote:
ormond lad wrote:.... Having all the top flight games in Dublin this weekend is a great way to start the league.
From a Dublin perspective I agree. But with so many game sin Dublin it will detract from the attendances. While here in The Gulag there is nothing. Next week there will be two v attractive games here at the same time.

As I said....madness.
Having the games in Dublin but on at the same time as the Leinster Match is not a new problem. There is very little effort to get a double header crowd for the clubs around the RDS.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

FrankBurke wrote:
ormond lad wrote:

As I said....madness.
It wont really detract that much from attendances. Yes its unfortunate next weekend both Cork sides will be home on same weekend but that will not always be the case throughout the season and again from a pr perspective for the league the top flight having every game in round 1 in the capital is great and better for the league
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I see Rob "Chops" Sweeney was back for Marys tonight after retiring for a season
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Cork Con 13 Lansdowne 16. Cork Con had player sent off in first half. Came back from 3-13 with two unconverted tries. But lost to last kick of the match, a penalty from Scott Deasey (ex- Cork Con).

Locals not happy....
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Amazingly we're 2 wins from 2 after first 2 rounds and in 3rd place in first season up in 2A. We play Bective in Donnybrook on Saturday and should get, IMO, another win which will put us in a great place after our not so great pre season and give us some breathing space heading into the first break of the UBL season

Anyone else have thoughts on league so far?
Disappointing to see the non Dublin sides in 1A not doing great with all 6 sides from Dublin occupying the top 6 league placings after 3 rounds of games
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

ormond lad wrote:Amazingly we're 2 wins from 2 after first 2 rounds and in 3rd place in first season up in 2A. We play Bective in Donnybrook on Saturday and should get, IMO, another win which will put us in a great place after our not so great pre season and give us some breathing space heading into the first break of the UBL season

Disappointing to see the non Dublin sides in 1A not doing great with all 6 sides from Dublin occupying the top 6 league placings after 3 rounds of games
The top 6 all from leinster in div 1a is astonishing,
I think I can say with certainty that in the 24 years of the AIL having no Munster team in the top 6 is a first.
It might be down to the academy players, the B&I cup will hurt a few teams (UCD) but the drop in Limerick club rugby quality in the last 3years is a concern. They are down to the crumbs at this stage.

Congrats to Ormond on getting out of 2b and the start to 2a - winning is a habit.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

StrangeButBlue wrote:
ormond lad wrote:Amazingly we're 2 wins from 2 after first 2 rounds and in 3rd place in first season up in 2A. We play Bective in Donnybrook on Saturday and should get, IMO, another win which will put us in a great place after our not so great pre season and give us some breathing space heading into the first break of the UBL season

The top 6 all from leinster in div 1a is astonishing,
I think I can say with certainty that in the 24 years of the AIL having no Munster team in the top 6 is a first.
It might be down to the academy players, the B&I cup will hurt a few teams (UCD) but the drop in Limerick club rugby quality in the last 3years is a concern. They are down to the crumbs at this stage.

Congrats to Ormond on getting out of 2b and the start to 2a - winning is a habit.
It is a first. I don't think its down to academy players at all. The strength in depth of players is the issue, if you several of the clubs from Dublin there is a good number of Limerick players involved who've had to move due to work etc. The clubs in Dublin also have better strength in depth

Im very surprised at our start in AIL considering our poor enough pre season where we lost to 2 2B sides(Sundays Well and Old Crescent) and were not great against another(Tullamore).
Best thing of all about our performances so far is we are still missing several players including Derek Corcoran and if we get the few players back from injury soon enough we could do very well in 2A this season
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

I was @ the building site that is Musgrave Park today to see Dolphin 0 Terenure 47.

'Nure impressive. Missed one conversion otherwise spot on. Dominated scrums, lineouts & loose play.

Dolphin lucky to get 0....
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

FrankBurke wrote:I was @ the building site that is Musgrave Park today to see Dolphin 0 Terenure 47.

'Nure impressive. Missed one conversion otherwise spot on. Dominated scrums, lineouts & loose play.

Dolphin lucky to get 0....
Dolphin early season favourites for relegation, another Munster team likely for relagation on early season form.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

AIL back tomorrow after a few weeks off. Any thoughts on season so far?
Dublin have the top 4 places in 1A but Marys and Belvedere 8th/9th
Ards and Richmond both struggling at bottom of 2B, not great with 2 sides being relegated at end of season
Dungannon struggling in 2A and will be 2B next season no matter what with the change to the league for next season
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Cork Con 6 Young Munster 9. Monsoon conditions. Draw would have been a fair result. Not a single try-scoring opportunity in game.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

What's the longest ever unbeaten run in the AIL? Terenure's performances is fairly extraordinary at this point....unbeaten in AIL for more than 18 months or something. People saying that it's because they don't lose any players to representative level but that is a ludicrous logic if you think about it
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Ruckedtobits wrote:What's the longest ever unbeaten run in the AIL? Terenure's performances is fairly extraordinary at this point....unbeaten in AIL for more than 18 months or something. People saying that it's because they don't lose any players to representative level but that is a ludicrous logic if you think about it
Its a fair enough point on them not losing players to representative but not totally fair.
Shannon between either their 4 in a row side in the 90s or 3 in a row side in 00s would probably have the longest unbeaten run. Nure will be close enough to it though
We drew with UCC. We're going ok but with we've Cashel next week...
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Ruckedtobits wrote:What's the longest ever unbeaten run in the AIL? Terenure's performances is fairly extraordinary at this point....unbeaten in AIL for more than 18 months or something. People saying that it's because they don't lose any players to representative level but that is a ludicrous logic if you think about it
It is! But it's a really good thing. They had John Cooney on the bench yesterday but they still started with their local lad.

They guts of this team has basically grown up together but they've won go any higher (like academy Leinster level) so they won't go missing like a lot of Lansdowne's or Belvo's players did.
Last edited by Donny B. on November 3rd, 2014, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

ormond lad wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:What's the longest ever unbeaten run in the AIL? t
Shannon between either their 4 in a row side in the 90s or 3 in a row side in 00s would probably have the longest unbeaten run. Nure will be close enough to it though
Can't find the results from the 90s but in their three in a row the most consecutive games without a loss by Shannon was 16.

Cashel had a run of 17 games unbeaten (all 15 games in the 11/12 season and first 2 in 12/13) and Bruff had a run of 20 games (3 at the end of 06/07, then all 15 in 07/08 followed by 2 in 08/09)

Terenure are currently on 28........
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Xanthippe wrote:
ormond lad wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:What's the longest ever unbeaten run in the AIL? t
Can't find the results from the 90s but in their three in a row the most consecutive games without a loss by Shannon was 16.

Cashel had a run of 17 games unbeaten (all 15 games in the 11/12 season and first 2 in 12/13) and Bruff had a run of 20 games (3 at the end of 06/07, then all 15 in 07/08 followed by 2 in 08/09)

Terenure are currently on 28........
Fair point and you probably are right.
we had a run of 20 games unbeaten until our loss to Bective at start of last month
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Sounds like Nure came back from the dead against UCD tonight – 17-8 down after 64 minutes and ended up winning 17-26. What a run!
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

hugonaut wrote:Sounds like Nure came back from the dead against UCD tonight – 17-8 down after 64 minutes and ended up winning 17-26. What a run!
Very interesting. Their run will have to end at some stage but its going to take some team to beat them.

Now to the big game of the weekend tomorrow. :mrgreen:
We've to travel to Cashel(again!). Hope its a better result than last time we played them in the league