France

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: France

Post by johng »

He's like Risteard O'Streabhass of the Mullingar O'Streabhasses or Isaac Boss of the Bossmen of Kinsealy. Or even Mickey Bent of BentMickeyTown Co Carlow.

I think it is a reflection of Toulon's dominance in Europe and also a repudiation of the theory that they are "bad for the French national team" It may have taken a few years but they are the "bulk supplier" (© Gerry Thornley) to the French team.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

johng wrote:He's like Risteard O'Streabhass of the Mullingar O'Streabhasses or Isaac Boss of the Bossmen of Kinsealy. Or even Mickey Bent of BentMickeyTown Co Carlow.

I think it is a reflection of Toulon's dominance in Europe and also a repudiation of the theory that they are "bad for the French national team" It may have taken a few years but they are the "bulk supplier" (© Gerry Thornley) to the French team.
Against that is the fact that Toulon signed the majority of those players when they were already French internationals, John.

Chiocci and Bruni are Toulon-reared players as far as I know. Menini came from Biarritz [and was elsewhere before there], but was not capped before he came to Toulon last season.

Guirado, Mermoz and Taofifenua came from Perpignan as French internationals, Tillous-Borde from Castres as an international, Matthieu Bastareaud from Stade Francais as an international.

So they have produced two, arguably three of that French squad, and one of them only got in because of an injury to another player. And France aren't very good at the moment.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

So in a 14 team league one team being the bulk supplier is "good"?

Are France "good" right now? I must say I hadn't noticed that.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

hugonaut wrote:
johng wrote:He's like Risteard O'Streabhass of the Mullingar O'Streabhasses or Isaac Boss of the Bossmen of Kinsealy. Or even Mickey Bent of BentMickeyTown Co Carlow.

Against that is the fact that Toulon signed the majority of those players when they were already French internationals, John.

Chiocci and Bruni are Toulon-reared players as far as I know. Menini came from Biarritz [and was elsewhere before there], but was not capped before he came to Toulon last season.

Guirado, Mermoz and Taofifenua came from Perpignan as French internationals, Tillous-Borde from Castres as an international, Matthieu Bastareaud from Stade Francais as an international.

So they have produced two, arguably three of that French squad, and one of them only got in because of an injury to another player. And France aren't very good at the moment.
Fair enough Hugo. I was over egging it a little. :) Careful about playing down France though. They have a habit of doing well at the WC no matter how chyte they are. Just as well they are not in our grou....... Oh.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Taofifenua was born and raised in France.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:Taofifenua was born and raised in France.
So I was nearly right.......It's the Mont de Marsan Taofifenuas
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Great folk, mad with a few jars in 'em though . . .
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

simonno6 wrote:
Toulon fan wrote:
Toulon : 8 players But its only mercenaries as we know it
All home grown born and bread on the Côte d'Azur of course... :roll:

Nowadays: 60% of the population in the south east of France is not born there.
However, if you have any problem with that, you'd better never come down here for any reason. :roll:
I'm french. Please correct my english mistakes !
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Toulon fan wrote: Nowadays: 60% of the population in the south east of France is not born there.
However, if you have any problem with that, you'd better never come down here for any reason. :roll:
Now you're just trolling. It must have struck a nerve. And rightly so: Toulon is a serious problem for rugby firstly in France where the state of the national team should be an embarrassment to any genuine fan, but eventually internationally.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

There was speculation Brock James (Baroque Jacques?) might be called up for France, but so far no white smoke there.
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Now you're just trolling. It must have struck a nerve. And rightly so: Toulon is a serious problem for rugby firstly in France where the state of the national team should be an embarrassment to any genuine fan, but eventually internationally.
Uh yeah. :roll: That... Thing.
I was just giving a stat.
But it seems you're a bit on your nerves. Clearly you're more embarassed than me with that.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Toulon fan wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
Uh yeah. :roll: That... Thing.
I was just giving a stat.
But it seems you're a bit on your nerves. Clearly you're more embarassed than me with that.
Your 'stat' had absolutely nothing to do with how many of the Toulon players named in the current French squad came through their youth system (2/8).

Au Revoir
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

jezzer wrote:There was speculation Brock James (Baroque Jacques?) might be called up for France, but so far no white smoke there.
Too late now, you'd have to think?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

simonno6 wrote:
Your 'stat' had absolutely nothing to do with how many of the Toulon players named in the current French squad came through their youth system (2/8).

Au Revoir
Yeah. I guess the native region of people living here should have nothing to do with the origin of our academy pupils. Of course...
I know you're living on the magic island, and that you don't really know nor care about french rugby history. But I don't think that pointing at the origin village/town/country of people is something that should be a shame, especially in the rugby world.

And please, we are talking about a 30 men french squad here. There are 14 clubs. Please do your maths: how many average players by club do we need?
30/14= 2,14
Sorry, we couldn't find a 0,14 player in our local school. :lol:
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Not sure how many you need,. However if you have sides where over 50% of the match day squad is not from France you clearly have an issue , the FFR should grow a set and put a limit of 10 non French players per match day squad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Toloun had 12 non French players starting in the game and 3 more on the bench, too me that is excessive.

As for the T14 Clermont have started well but Toloun look to be the heavy favourites to win the thing and at Tolouse is time running out for Noves?
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

JB1973 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but Toloun had 12 non French players starting in the game and 3 more on the bench, too me that is excessive.

Yes, you're wrong.
Last week end group versus Montpellier:
8 foreigners.
4 foreigners coming from a french academy, 2 of them from our own academy.
11 french, 3 of them from our own academy.

1MENINI
2GUIRADO

3HAYMAN
4TAOFIFENUA
5SUTA

6SMITH
7BRUNI
8MASOE
9TILLOUS-BORDE
10GITEAU
11SMITH
12MERMOZ
13WULF
14O'CONNOR
15ARMITAGE

16BARCELLA
17CHIOCCI

18MIKAUTADZE
19GORGODZE
20BASTAREAUD
21ARMITAGE
22ESCANDE
23CHILACHAVA
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

my mistake I meant 12 in the starting hc final win, I have checked the records and that was correct.

So for this weeks game you had 11 French out of 23? less than half the squad? still nothing to boast about really is it?
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

OMG I'm so ashamed. I should hang myself right now.
Oh wait. I don't care. :roll:
That semifinal still gives you some burning bellyaches at night, uh? :lol:
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

As I'm not a Leinster fan it doesn't bother me at all :D

Personally I wouldn't enjoy my side winning a trophy with 12 starting players imported from all over the world , it's just not what I would want from my rugby club.

But I can't disagree Toloun are a terrific side and you cannot fault their owners ambitions and willingness to fund his team.

I don't begrudge you your success ,enjoy it while you can. Let's face it if your owner decides to leave you will quickly find yourself back in the second tier of French rugby and an after thought in the major European competitions
Toulon fan
Bookworm

Post by Toulon fan »

Oh I've been there before, and more deeper than that, and I saw no devil there and was not jealous of anyone then. :lol:
While I was there, you were probably already judging people on their face or their ID cards? Were you? :wink: