The Rugby Championship

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: The Rugby Championship

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:
cormac wrote:McKenzie gone. He's resigned after all the cr@p in the last few weeks.

Schmidt v Cheika at the Aviva next month?
Apparently Cheika won't even consider the job unless there is serious reform in the ARU.
MOC for the Aussie job
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

cormac wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
cormac wrote:McKenzie gone. He's resigned after all the cr@p in the last few weeks.

Schmidt v Cheika at the Aviva next month?
Apparently Cheika won't even consider the job unless there is serious reform in the ARU.
MOC for the Aussie job
I'll second that nomination ;)
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Looks like Cheika is taking the Wallabies position:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1970012
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

domhnallj wrote:Looks like Cheika is taking the Wallabies position:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1970012
I look forward to recalls for Finnegan, Beirne, Byrnes :)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm a bit worried that he might call Kane up again.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

and then again maybe not

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1971394

seems no-one wants to work in the Aussie set-up
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm a bit worried that he might call Kane up again.
if they changed the rules it would be a case of last Wallaby to leave Australia please turn off the lights
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah absolutely, can see them doing something to try and get the group feeling good about themselves again though. Cheika could make a couple of exceptions (Giteau, JOC, Mitchell) and really transform the team in time for the World Cup.

Mitchell was actually asked about a return to the national team the other day, haven't seen any speculation myself but wonder if there is anything out there.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Confirmed! Fair play to him.

Waratahs coach Michael Cheika has been named as the new head coach of the Wallabies by the Australian Rugby Union.

Cheika's appointment follows Ewen McKenzie's resignation after Australia's 29-28 loss to New Zealand in Brisbane on Saturday.

Cheika is currently contracted to the NSW Waratahs until the end of 2015, and will retain that position for 2015 only while coaching the Wallabies.

ARU CEO Bill Pulver said Michael Cheika was the outstanding candidate for the role.

"Central to our decision was selecting a world-class coach who can lead us to victory in next year's Rugby World Cup and a person who represents Rugby's core values," said Pulver.

"Michael fulfils these requirements. He is also extremely passionate and has a strong track record of motivating teams to win through plenty of hard work.

"I'm confident he will embrace this new challenge and on behalf of the Australian Rugby community, I would like to congratulate him on his appointment."

Cheika said he was humbled by his appointment.

"I never imagined I would be in the position of coaching our national team and feel extremely honoured to have this opportunity," he said.

"My mission will be to do the best possible job I can and to motivate the people around me to ensure they are able to represent Australia to the best of their ability.

"I feel the key to any future success will be to ensure we have a strong identity and not letting anything get in the way of our preparation to succeed on the world stage."

Cheika comes to the role with extensive experience in rugby as a player and coach domestically and internationally and led the NSW Waratahs to their first-ever Super Rugby title earlier this year.

The appointment comes as the Wallabies prepare to leave for their November tour on Friday, with games against the Barbarians, Wales, France, Ireland and England.

In addition to Cheika's appointment for the November tour, Bill Pulver also announced there will be changes to the Wallabies' off-field structure to help support the team's high performance objectives.

"A recent review found we need to introduce a senior position into the Wallabies' off-field structure to provide additional leadership and general management duties," he explained.

"For the upcoming Spring Tour, our General Manager of Pathways & Performance, Ben Whitaker, will undertake this role, with a permanent appointment and confirmation of what this role will encompass to be made after the Spring Tour.

Whitaker has worked in professional rugby for the past ten years in a range of roles covering high performance, overseeing national teams and programs; sports science; and sports medicine. Most recently, he has been a driving force behind the National Rugby Championship.

Changes to the Wallabies' coaching structure for the upcoming tour have also been announced, with NSW Waratahs defence coach Nathan Grey set to join the team. Grey will be part of a three-man coaching line-up for the tour, alongside Cheika and existing Forwards Coach Andrew Blades.

Pulver said this means contracts for coaches Nick Scrivener and Jim McKay will end.

"I'd like to thank Nick and Jim for their significant contribution to Australian Rugby," said Pulver.

"Nick has been a long-serving contributor at the national level under two coaches. Most recently, he has shaped the Wallabies' defence and had significant input and oversight of the team's overall training program.

"Jim has been at the forefront of the new attacking style the Wallabies have played in the past year, and we've all enjoyed seeing the free-flowing style of Rugby Jim has promoted.

"I would also like to thank Nick and Jim - as well as Andrew Blades - for their incredible leadership, particularly in recent weeks. They were both exceptional in preparing the team to play under difficult circumstances, and this decision should not take away from the high quality of work they produced over a long period.

"Their contribution was highlighted by the Wallabies' performance against the All Blacks last Saturday night."

Michael Cheika Background:

47-year-old Cheika played 286 senior games for Sydney Premier Rugby club Randwick; represented Australia in the Under 21s; and played Rugby in France and Italy.

His coaching career includes leading the NSW Waratahs to the club's first-ever Super Rugby title earlier this year; and leading Irish provincial side Leinster for five years and winning the club's first ever Heineken Cup in 2009. He has also coached in Italy (Petrarca Rugby in Padova), France (Stade Français in Paris) and at his home club Randwick.

Cheika's experience outside Rugby includes running a fashion distribution company and working for one of Australia's leading fashion designers, Collette Dinnigan.

Cheika grew up in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs and is the son of Lebanese migrants.

He is married with four young children and speaks French, Italian and Arabic
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Yeah absolutely, can see them doing something to try and get the group feeling good about themselves again though. Cheika could make a couple of exceptions (Giteau, JOC, Mitchell) and really transform the team in time for the World Cup.

Mitchell was actually asked about a return to the national team the other day, haven't seen any speculation myself but wonder if there is anything out there.
In line with this, Beale is now available for selection.

There's something rotten in Australian rugby, but I do think Cheika could galvanise them for the World Cup. A lot easier to focus their minds for a such a big short term target like that.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Yeah absolutely, can see them doing something to try and get the group feeling good about themselves again though. Cheika could make a couple of exceptions (Giteau, JOC, Mitchell) and really transform the team in time for the World Cup.

In line with this, Beale is now available for selection.

There's something rotten in Australian rugby, but I do think Cheika could galvanise them for the World Cup. A lot easier to focus their minds for a such a big short term target like that.
Genia has to remember hes a good player some time too
definite cause for optimism
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Genia has to remember hes a good player some time too
definite cause for optimism
He's only 26 FFS, yet he's talking about retiring from internationals and playing in Europe after the World Cup. What a waste
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

How many Leinster coaches have got international jobs now?
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

StrangeButBlue wrote:How many Leinster coaches have got international jobs now?
Ruddock, Williams, Kidney, Cheika and Schmidt

Also, Gerry Murphy and Paul McNaughton who took over when Kidney was 'on gardening leave' were a former International coach and future international manager.
I have Bumbleflex