Ireland v Australia thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

kendalgerty
Graduate

Re: Ireland v Australia thread

Post by kendalgerty »

On the Folau thing, I think it would have been a penalty but the referee was playing advantage and went back for the original penalty, which was from a more favourable angle than the would-be-Folau incident. I don't think you'd ever get a penalty try for an incident like that, there are just too many variables with the ball so high in the air.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm still positive it was a forward pass. The analysis with those lines made no sense to me. They were lined up with the back of the ruck and then a few metres back for some reason. They didn't follow the flight of the ball and to me his hands were clearly forward.
I just watched said analysis live, but their graphics (which I first thought was a 3-D/vertical wall) seemed to show the pass origin line and an offside line (which makes no sense). But, they did seem to be concerning themselves with the trajectory of the ball (which isn't how the forward pass should be determined, at all).

Either way, I thought on live, replay and HT analysis, that it still looked forward. Moot point now anyway.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

The pass was forward. This business of the trajectory of the ball should only be relevant where the passer has momentum, which he gets from running at pace, which means the pass will drift forward over the ground even if thrown backwards relative to himself 'backwards out fo the hands'). If a player is static and throws the ball from the back of a ruck he cannot have any forward momentum, so if the pass goes forward he can only have thrown it forward.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

meinster wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm still positive it was a forward pass. The analysis with those lines made no sense to me. They were lined up with the back of the ruck and then a few metres back for some reason. They didn't follow the flight of the ball and to me his hands were clearly forward.
I just watched said analysis live, but their graphics (which I first thought was a 3-D/vertical wall) seemed to show the pass origin line and an offside line (which makes no sense). But, they did seem to be concerning themselves with the trajectory of the ball (which isn't how the forward pass should be determined, at all).

Either way, I thought on live, replay and HT analysis, that it still looked forward. Moot point now anyway.
Agreed, I thought the graphics shown on TV proved the pass was forward. Where did the 1 metre margin of error come from?
Forget about trajectory and motion - you are not allowed pass to someone who is in front of you before you pass the ball.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

offshorerules wrote:Watched the game again yesterday and this time I watched the RTE coverage so learnt that it was not a forward pass for that try. Was in a pub on Saturday watching Sky so I didn't hear their half time analysis so I don't know if they picked up on it. Either way we can be pretty quick criticising RTE's coverage so it's nice to be able to pay them a compliment every now and again.

I too do not see how Folau was not pinged for a deliberate know on. As far as I know the referees have been told that if a player only uses one hand going for a ball and then knocks on it has to be deemed deliberate. Therefore it should have been a penalty definitely, and could have been awarded as a penalty try and a yellow card. I am assuming though that the referee was trying to keep 30 men on the pitch because he missed at least one other yellow card offence that I saw. So if that was his intention the fact that a penalty had already been awarded helped keep Folau on the pitch and he's a lucky lucky boy.

Overall though and I want to stress that I am usually an optimist and positive about results like this one, I was really disappointed with Ireland at the end. We were 17 points to nil up after 17 minutes and we nearly blew it. All this 'winning close matches' talk is utter bollix in my view as it never should have been close. That Australian side is undoubtedly full of talent but they are not as good as the Saffers, got beaten by a French side that lost at home to Argentina and will get beaten up in Twickenham this week in my opinion. Sure Chieka is a good coach but Foley missed 4 points that he usually would get blind folded. If we are to kick on from this Autumn series we need to become cold hearted killers and the next time we have a team on the rack the same way as we did this time we need to finish them off. Brain farts by Murray and Zebo aside there are plenty of work on's for the whole team the next time they meet up.
disappointing performance from some perspectives, but (and it's a massive but) they held on to win without ever looking like they would collapse. that alone makes it a huge performance in my view.

remember too how close the aussies have been against the all blacks and the saffers this season. they are not far off the pace at all. on ther day they can beat anybody, and i expect them to improve significantly in time for their next visit to the nh. i'd disagree about twickenham - i expect an aussie win.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

berniemac67 wrote:
offshorerules wrote:Watched the game again yesterday and this time I watched the RTE coverage so learnt that it was not a forward pass for that try. Was in a pub on Saturday watching Sky so I didn't hear their half time analysis so I don't know if they picked up on it. Either way we can be pretty quick criticising RTE's coverage so it's nice to be able to pay them a compliment every now and again.

I too do not see how Folau was not pinged for a deliberate know on. As far as I know the referees have been told that if a player only uses one hand going for a ball and then knocks on it has to be deemed deliberate. Therefore it should have been a penalty definitely, and could have been awarded as a penalty try and a yellow card. I am assuming though that the referee was trying to keep 30 men on the pitch because he missed at least one other yellow card offence that I saw. So if that was his intention the fact that a penalty had already been awarded helped keep Folau on the pitch and he's a lucky lucky boy.

Overall though and I want to stress that I am usually an optimist and positive about results like this one, I was really disappointed with Ireland at the end. We were 17 points to nil up after 17 minutes and we nearly blew it. All this 'winning close matches' talk is utter bollix in my view as it never should have been close. That Australian side is undoubtedly full of talent but they are not as good as the Saffers, got beaten by a French side that lost at home to Argentina and will get beaten up in Twickenham this week in my opinion. Sure Chieka is a good coach but Foley missed 4 points that he usually would get blind folded. If we are to kick on from this Autumn series we need to become cold hearted killers and the next time we have a team on the rack the same way as we did this time we need to finish them off. Brain farts by Murray and Zebo aside there are plenty of work on's for the whole team the next time they meet up.
disappointing performance from some perspectives, but (and it's a massive but) they held on to win without ever looking like they would collapse. that alone makes it a huge performance in my view.

remember too how close the aussies have been against the all blacks and the saffers this season. they are not far off the pace at all. on ther day they can beat anybody, and i expect them to improve significantly in time for their next visit to the nh. i'd disagree about twickenham - i expect an aussie win.
Rugby Championship Table:

1. New Zealand 22
2. South Africa 19
3. Australia 11
4. Argentina 7

Close? No not really. To highlight the positives, they drew at home to the New Zealand and won against the Saffers and Argies also at home. The negatives losing away to the saffers (no disgrace) and to the Argies (not saying its a disgrace but....) and a whopping 52-10 loss to the Kiwi's. So no they weren't close at all really.

As for Saturday how about a fiver for charity?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

apparently there was some damage done to the Wallabies dressing room after the game

Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

ichabodscrane wrote:I was confused at Joe's reluctance to use our two replacement props in the latter stages of the game. I know we won and McGrath & Ross should be applauded for their endurance but I can't help but wonder if it was a case of Joe not trusting them in such a high pressures match. Oz used every replacement, I can understand given their volume of matches over the last couple of months but we left three players on ours.
It was not particularly confusing. I think those two props were sitting on the bench in a glass box marked break in case of emergency. There is a huge drop in quality from the two props on the pitch and the backups. Both of the guys on the bench have potential and may have seen game time against slightly weaker opposition. Were all our props fit then those two would be lucky to make the bench for the Wolfhounds.

Before I get attached by the banjo players I do think that both of them could do well for us in the future but they have a lot of work to do.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Considering a move to Cork Simon?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Coopy's handsomeness blew the bloody doors off . . .
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

offshorerules wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:

Rugby Championship Table:

1. New Zealand 22
2. South Africa 19
3. Australia 11
4. Argentina 7

Close? No not really. To highlight the positives, they drew at home to the New Zealand and won against the Saffers and Argies also at home. The negatives losing away to the saffers (no disgrace) and to the Argies (not saying its a disgrace but....) and a whopping 52-10 loss to the Kiwi's. So no they weren't close at all really.

As for Saturday how about a fiver for charity?
Lies, damned lies and statistics ... or league tables. my point, poorly made, was that on their day they are not too far off the all blacks or springboks. this makes them almost as good as us :)

£5 for charity sounds good.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Facts are a bitch alright. Saturday will certainly be interesting.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:Considering a move to Cork Simon?
figure my best shot at RTE is via Cork Con Mafia

other meeja reporting a door was kicked/knocked/ripped off its hinges by a member of ARU backroom staff, much to the chucklement of Kurtley Beale am sure
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

simonokeeffe wrote:
paddyor wrote:Considering a move to Cork Simon?
figure my best shot at RTE is via Cork Con Mafia

other meeja reporting a door was kicked/knocked/ripped off its hinges by a member of ARU backroom staff, much to the chucklement of Kurtley Beale am sure
And carpenters - 'few thousand' for a door, nice work if you can get it!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Nice that Cheika has calmed down a bit since returning home...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

always said Cheika was unhinged
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He was only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Great memories of getting an after match pint in Donnybrook at the Bective end and listening to Cheika going nuts, and that was after they'd won.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Id say he flew off the handle
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Aussie's claiming damage to dressing room was a accident,
Aviva dressing room damage caused by opening door the wrong way, says ARU
The ARU has downplayed the damage caused at the Aviva Stadium, saying it was caused by opening a door the wrong way.

The Australian Rugby Union has downplayed the damage caused at the Aviva Stadium last weekend, stating that it was caused by a loose bolt from a door hinge.
It was reported that up to €8,000 worth of damage had been caused by an unnamed player or member of staff in the aftermath of their 29-26 defeat to Ireland in Autumn international last Saturday.

"There was an accident after the match involving one of our support staff," a source is quoted as telling the Irish Examiner in the aftermath of the controversy. "We made the IRFU aware of this on the evening of the game and have offered our assistance in any way if required.”

In a Facebook post on their official page today, the ARU has strenuously denied that the damage was caused by a furious member of staff and said they immediately contacted the IRFU over the incident.

They stress that the cause of the damage was caused by accidentally opening a dressing room door the wrong way.

"One of the Wallabies support staff members accidentally opened a door the wrong way when going into the change room," the statement read.

"A bolt from the door’s hinge went into the wall and created a small hole. We immediately notified venue management and have offered to help with any repair costs. Any suggestion that this was a player or member of staff acting angrily after losing the game isn't true."
Dressing room CCTV confirms Aussie version of events. Will Skelton was not injured in the incident .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMikZqHOvic
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!