Gopperth leaving

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

WarPoodle
Learner

Gopperth leaving

Post by WarPoodle »

I'm sure everyone knew this would happen with Johnny on the way back, but confirmed here by Richie Murphy.

My thoughts are he was really good when given a Plan A, but as soon as Plan A wasn't working, he found it difficult to improvise a Plan B.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... e-leinster
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Gopperth leaving

Post by neiliog93 »

Good player, definitely a necessary signing for us after Johnny's departure, but overfavoured by the coach. That's not Gopperth's his fault. I hear he's going to earn a bomb at Wasps - fair play and good luck to him.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Harshly treated, he is the symbol of MOC and everything wrong with the current setup so he gets unnecessary stick.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

He tried to implement our limited game plan to the best of his abilities, sometimes it worked a treat like Ospreys away in the HCup last year bit of a scapegoat to fans when things have been going wrong and his form dipped but he was not picking the team each week. Best of luck to him at Wasps they seem to like to play some decent rugby and he might not feel constricted to putting up uncontestable bombs each week which is currently our M.O.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

He reminds me of Joel Stransky for some reason - maybe it's just the looks. Now if only he could kick drop goals and had the good fortune to play behind a dominant pack, he might look quite good.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

goreyguy wrote:Harshly treated, he is the symbol of MOC and everything wrong with the current setup so he gets unnecessary stick.
Disagree with this.Darragh Fanning playing every game is the symbol of MOC and everything wrong with the current set up.
WarPoodle
Learner

Post by WarPoodle »

Disagree with this.Darragh Fanning playing every game is the symbol of MOC and everything wrong with the current set up.
Ouch..
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Leoslovechild wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Harshly treated, he is the symbol of MOC and everything wrong with the current setup so he gets unnecessary stick.
true to extent, I think if Fanning was starting over Fitz/McFadden/Kearney there would be more complaints.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Jimmy gone already

Is captaining AC Roma tonight v Manchester City
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Thought he's been our best outhalf for the past two years.

Hes been treated like sh!t by far too many fans, who haven't been able to forgive him for not being Johnny Sexton.

Wasps will be a lot stronger for signing him and I wish him all the very best.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Lots of players underperforming in blue but still look great for Ireland. Maybe Gopps would be seen as great under a different game plan.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Logorrhea wrote:Thought he's been our best outhalf for the past two years.

Hes been treated like sh!t by far too many fans, who haven't been able to forgive him for not being Johnny Sexton.

He has been very poor this season, very poor.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He was always going, I'm sorry he had to play under a different coach than the one who signed him. His experience may have been quite different had that not been the case.

Haven't noticed anyone treating him like sh!t. Nor do I think he's "been our best outhalf for two years". He has often been the better of two options, but not always. Nor has he seen consequences for poor performances. That said, neither has Boss which is a bigger strategic worry for Leinster.

We thought we had signed a steady Jimmy Dropperth. Turned out he was actually mercurial with a wicked break. I would have loved to see him playing that in a system designed to get the best out of him rather than one seemingly designed to suck the joy out of life.
WarPoodle
Learner

Post by WarPoodle »

I would have loved to see him playing that in a system designed to get the best out of him rather than one seemingly designed to suck the joy out of life.
Maybe a new thread should be started on how how Matt O'Connor is the Grinch in disguise..
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Degz wrote:
If all of Leinster squad were judged by the same standards there would be an exodus.
Many squad players have got their chance and have proved themselves to be at best, squad players.
Move them on and release the potential of the Leinster Academy, many of whom have been outstanding in the B & I Cup
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Degz wrote:

Who in our back line has looked much better this season though? He hasn't been as good as last season but he's still put in some decent performances. It seems thats about all we're getting from our backs these days. Is that his and/or the scrummies fault or does it go deeper than that?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Thanks for the good times Jimmy :happy clapper:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Well he's pretty much been our only out-half this season, so he's only competing with himself for that award.

His form last season justified him starting over Madigan, but this season he's been dreadfully error-prone and tactically poor and he has deserved to be dropped.

That said, it's not his fault that he hasn't been.

Seems a good guy who always tries his best, and good luck to him in Wasps or where ever he ends up.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Donny B. wrote:His form last season justified him starting over Madigan, but this season he's been dreadfully error-prone and tactically poor and he has deserved to be dropped.
I wouldn't blame Gopperth for the tactics. We look the same with Madigan at 10 and every time Madigan gets a go at 10, he doesn't hammer home the advantage.

Again, people seem to blame Gopperth for us playing shite, and while I'm not saying hes not a part of it, I think the real blame lies elsewhere.