Gopperth leaving

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Gopperth leaving

Post by fourthirtythree »

Logorrhea wrote:
Donny B. wrote:His form last season justified him starting over Madigan, but this season he's been dreadfully error-prone and tactically poor and he has deserved to be dropped.
I wouldn't blame Gopperth for the tactics. We look the same with Madigan at 10 and every time Madigan gets a go at 10, he doesn't hammer home the advantage.

Again, people seem to blame Gopperth for us playing shite, and while I'm not saying hes not a part of it, I think the real blame lies elsewhere.
Outside of a tiny, tinfoil hat wearing, minority people are pretty much heaping the blame on the coach. And sometimes injuries, and more realistically turnover in the playing squad. But mostly even given that people are blaming the coach.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Logorrhea wrote:
Donny B. wrote:His form last season justified him starting over Madigan, but this season he's been dreadfully error-prone and tactically poor and he has deserved to be dropped.
I wouldn't blame Gopperth for the tactics. We look the same with Madigan at 10 and every time Madigan gets a go at 10, he doesn't hammer home the advantage.

Again, people seem to blame Gopperth for us playing shite, and while I'm not saying hes not a part of it, I think the real blame lies elsewhere.
Well we can't really say that this season, cause he's had bugger all time at ten this season.

And yes he's certainly not all to blame for the tactics, such as they are, but some of his choices have been plain strange. Even on Sunday, when by this season's standards at least, he wasn't that bad, there was one kick to Yarde that was plain daft. At the time we had a little bit of momentum and were in a decent position but he just hoofed it straight to him, too long for a kick-chase and too short to get to the corner. Yarde made good yardage running it back and suddenly Quins were on the front foot again. And let's face it, it's not the first time we've seen something like that this season.
WarPoodle
Learner

Post by WarPoodle »

What it boils down to is in his first season he was actually very good... And he (and probably a number of players) were probably good due to the fact that they were running off the residual teachings and tactics of Schmidt. Bring us forward a year, and using the tactics of O'Connor and suddenly he's bereft of confidence and form (along with a number of players).

Matt O'Connor is (at present), not up to the standard that we've come to expect for Leinster. So we've either got to realise that we totally lucked out on Schmidt and give him and future coaches a break (sure who could ever come up to that standard), or hold all coaches to come, up to the same standard as Schmidt and demand their resignation after 2 seasons if they haven't done well enough. :lol:
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

WarPoodle wrote:What it boils down to is in his first season he was actually very good... And he (and probably a number of players) were probably good due to the fact that they were running off the residual teachings and tactics of Schmidt. Bring us forward a year, and using the tactics of O'Connor and suddenly he's bereft of confidence and form (along with a number of players).

Matt O'Connor is (at present), not up to the standard that we've come to expect for Leinster. So we've either got to realise that we totally lucked out on Schmidt and give him and future coaches a break (sure who could ever come up to that standard), or hold all coaches to come, up to the same standard as Schmidt and demand their resignation after 2 seasons if they haven't done well enough. :lol:
O'Connor was also the coach for his first season.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WarPoodle
Learner

Post by WarPoodle »

Like I said. The team would still be running to a certain degree off the tactics and teachings of Schmidt at that time until O'Connor could bed his own ideas in.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

neiliog93 wrote:
WarPoodle wrote:What it boils down to is in his first season he was actually very good... And he (and probably a number of players) were probably good due to the fact that they were running off the residual teachings and tactics of Schmidt. Bring us forward a year, and using the tactics of O'Connor and suddenly he's bereft of confidence and form (along with a number of players).

but the majority of the rest of the team have seen their form and skill levels drop since schmidt left.

its enforced even more by MOC having a gameplan that doesn't suit the players.. We dont have a big english boshing pack, or have monster backs.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Oh yeah, no doubt about it, the regression in basic skills since MOC took over is stark.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

IRFU wrote:Gopperth To Leave Leinster For Wasps
7 January 2015 13:32pm

Leinster Rugby have confirmed that out-half Jimmy Gopperth will leave the province at the end of the current season to join English Premiership outfit Wasps.
Jimmy Gopperth joined Leinster at the start of last year from Newcastle Falcons and has, to date, made 45 appearances (31 starts) and has scored 280 points, including three tries.

In his first year at Leinster, the New Zealand-born player played 29 times and was instrumental as Matt O'Connor's men reached the quarter-final stage of the Heineken Cup and won the PRO12 title by finishing top of the table at the end of the regular season and then accounting for Ulster and Glasgow Warriors in the play-offs. In a 34-12 final win in glorious sunshine at the RDS, Gopperth kicked 14 points in a four-try win over the Warriors.

To date this season he has played 16 times, with 13 starts, as Leinster lie in the top four of the GUINNESS PRO12 and are joint top in Pool 2 of the European Champions Cup.

Leinster head coach Matt O'Connor commented: "Jimmy has been an integral part of this environment for the last 18 months or so and will be missed. The experience he brought to the set-up from years playing with the Hurricanes and Blues in Super Rugby, and then with the Falcons, cannot be underestimated and the younger players like Ian (Madigan), and to a greater extent Cathal (Marsh), Steve (Crosbie) and Ross (Byrne), learned a great deal from him.

"We are disappointed to lose a player of his calibre and experience but we understand his reasoning. At this stage in his career, he wants to be playing consistently and regularly and the opportunity to go to a club like Wasps was too good an opportunity for him to turn down.

"We wish him and (Sarah) and the kids the very best of luck with the move but would reiterate that there is still plenty of rugby to play between now and then.

"Jimmy and I have spoken and true to his nature and his professionalism you can be sure that we will get the same level of commitment and application that we have always received from Jimmy. He still has a huge role to play for Leinster Rugby this season."

Speaking about his decision to leave the province, Gopperth admitted: "I have had a great time at Leinster Rugby and it has been a brilliant experience and I haven't taken the decision lightly. This season is very much still on the line and we are in contention for two trophies and I am looking forward to fighting on both fronts over the coming months.

"I'd like to thank Matt, Marco (Caputo), Leo (Cullen), Richie (Murphy) and all of the coaches during my time at Leinster for the opportunity to play in this environment and for the province which has such a tradition and history.

"I've always been very proud to pull on that jersey and to represent the supporters, and no day was I more proud than last May at the RDS in the PRO12 final against Glasgow. A full RDS is hard to beat and it is a day and an atmosphere that I will never forget.

"This was a very tough decision but at this stage in my career I think it is the right decision and the opportunity to play for a club like Wasps was the right one to take. They have a good coach in Dai Young, great structures, a new stadium and play a similar brand of rugby to Leinster.

"But that is for then. Right now I am happy to have clarity around my situation going forward but it is now about Cardiff on Saturday and a huge few weeks for Leinster Rugby both domestically and in Europe. All of my and of our focus is doing as well as we possibly can in the coming months."

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/33516.php#.VK1HOMmHgR0
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

It's a great deal for him, his mooted salary is eye-popping. Good player with experience of single-handedly keeping a poor Premiership side afloat.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Yeah I think Wasps have gotten a really good player there. They will be a hell of a lot stronger with him at 10, then they were with Goode.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Logorrhea wrote:Yeah I think Wasps have gotten a really good player there. They will be a hell of a lot stronger with him at 10, then they were with Goode.
the backrow alone will give him a lot of good go forward ball
maybe the move will restore his confidence, plus he might be encouraged to run more
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Some pacy wingers to work off him too, and a plan that involves something other than battering and booting the leather off the ball should suit him.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:Yeah I think Wasps have gotten a really good player there. They will be a hell of a lot stronger with him at 10, then they were with Goode.
maybe the move will restore his confidence, plus he might be encouraged to run more
He could be very effective taking a route perpendicular to his norm here
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

As a play-making 10 Gopperth will do very well at Wasps. He will suit their game plan. Ironically, Gopperth would be held in a very different esteem if he played for Leinster under Schmidt. Sadly, he just can't execute MOCs game plan, same as Madigan, both very similar players, great attacking and skilful 10's, but not able to play as a strangle type 10. O'Gara would be in his element under MOC for example.

For us however, it's Gopperths wages off the books, an extra NIQ spot, and a world class 10 in Sexton, on the IRFU pay-roll too. Sexton is much more able to execute the MOC game plan, he can do much of what Gopperth / Madigan can do, but with truck loads more to his game, it will be interesting what difference Sexton will make.

Madigan a great foil for him also, not quite chalk and cheese, but having two players who can switch the style of play is a great impact to have. Gopperth / Madigan just too similar and too predictable as a pair.

As a note on depth and forward planning, Madigan should be given as much time at 10 this season as possible as he will not get any big games there next season (hopefully - as it would mean Sexton always fit), and as much experience as he can get now will be useful in the long run. Gopperth leaving means he's of no value beyond the short term and perhaps that could be enough to get Madigan the nod.

During the 6 Nations I'd definitely have Marsh on the bench behind Gopperth and give him game time in any situation where we're comfortable, 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there. Blood him a little bit, as next season could be his breakthrough season. If he is as good as I think he can develop into, much like Reid, Madigan may be firmly shifted into being a centre first and foremost, who can play 10 when needed. That would be good from a Leinster and Ireland point of view imo (Madigan and Reid very decent first choice 12 options outside Sexton and inside guys like Fitzgerald and hopefully Te'o... really nice mix and potential for a midfield like that).
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Perceptive comments from forum members.

Gopperth wins players player of the year in England.

Even more impressive that he did it at 12 & scored so many trys. Very good player but unlucky to be at Leinster in MOC's time & might have been very different if that drop goal in Toulon had gone over.

Anyway well done to him.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I'm delighted for him. The way we were playing didn't suit anyone who liked to play a running game. I am utterly unsurprised that he thrived at Wasps.

Sound guy dealt a poor hand here. With a sly sense of humour too...
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Unfortunate that he was here when Leinster made the mistake of hiring MOC.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

fourthirtythree wrote:I'm delighted for him. The way we were playing didn't suit anyone who liked to play a running game. I am utterly unsurprised that he thrived at Wasps.

Sound guy dealt a poor hand here. With a sly sense of humour too...
Have to admit that I was critical of him when he was with Leinster - not for his attitude which was superb rather his playing style. Think it's pretty obvious that this was down to MOC's tactical plan and that we didn't get anything like the best out of a very good player.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

It's worth remembering that it was Joe S who signed him, although he didn't arrive till MO'C was in charge. From memory I think Joe had him in NZ Schools team or Squad and always fancied his skill set. But Jimmy was keener on travelling and searched for the biggest wave.

Well done to him. Absutely delighted he's landed on his feet and staying on the top.