Smart Phones

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Smart Phones

Post by johng »

Well if all you want to do is make calls and send texts then something like that is perfect. Samsung 1200 is it? Was going to get one for me aulfellah to replace his old Nokia 6300.

On the other hand. LG G4 is launching in the next few weeks. Looks like it will be a motherfunker.

And it will be........

Wait for it...........

Drum roll............

The last Flagship smartphone with a removable battery and sd card slot. (or so they say)

It will be a sad day when I have to join the massed ranks of people who have to worry about switching on and off wifi and bluetooth to save power. Dimming screens, throttling back processor speed etc etc. and having to be on the lookout for somewhere to charge my phone. Having to stay in one place with my phone until it gets enough charge to last until the next convenient socket.... Or carry round a device that has to hang off my phone til it gets a charge.

Not to mention getting fisted for a bit of extra storage space for a few chunes/vijoes.

It must be awful for yiz. :-)
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Must be a right pain in the whole to have to disassemble a phone (which is not meant to be repeatedly disassembled) every time you want to keep on using it for a bit. I'm really glad I ditched the spare battery thing two phones ago.

Not having memory slots is mad though and not done for the benefit of the user.

Talking of stuff like that I have a Microsoft Surface on my desk at the moment and in their attempt to emulate Apple in the dicking over the customer stakes, while it does have a USB slot on it, you can't plug a USB memory stick in. You know, to take your large projects off it.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:Well if all you want to do is make calls and send texts then something like that is perfect. Samsung 1200 is it? Was going to get one for me aulfellah to replace his old Nokia 6300.

On the other hand. LG G4 is launching in the next few weeks. Looks like it will be a motherfunker.

And it will be........

Wait for it...........

Drum roll............

The last Flagship smartphone with a removable battery and sd card slot. (or so they say)

It will be a sad day when I have to join the massed ranks of people who have to worry about switching on and off wifi and bluetooth to save power. Dimming screens, throttling back processor speed etc etc. and having to be on the lookout for somewhere to charge my phone. Having to stay in one place with my phone until it gets enough charge to last until the next convenient socket.... Or carry round a device that has to hang off my phone til it gets a charge.

Not to mention getting fisted for a bit of extra storage space for a few chunes/vijoes.

Never fear john the future is tomorrow
US scientists say they have invented a cheap, long-lasting and flexible battery made of aluminium for use in smartphones that can be charged in as little as a minute.

The researchers, who detailed their discovery in the journal Nature, said the new aluminium-ion battery has the potential to replace lithium-ion batteries, used in millions of laptops and mobile phones.

Besides recharging much faster, the new aluminium battery is safer than existing lithium-ion batteries, which occasionally burst into flames, they added.
Has anyone ever had a battery explode on them?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:Must be a right pain in the whole to have to disassemble a phone (which is not meant to be repeatedly disassembled) every time you want to keep on using it for a bit.
After 3 years of it My galaxy S2 needed a new back as I broke one of the clips. (Cost me 5 euros)

After 18 months My S4 is in fine fettle. (I'm just better at it now)

Flipping the back off a phone takes about 1.5 seconds and hardly constitutes disassembly.

Phones that do not have removable backs are more solid in fairness and it has less restriction on design. However don't kid yourself that it's for the user's convenience. They just want to fleece you on the price of internal memory. (several thousand percent profit on the extra space in say an eyephone) And force you to buy a new phone when the battery inevitably starts to hold less charge after a year or 2
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

paddyor wrote: US scientists say they have invented a cheap, long-lasting and flexible battery made of aluminium for use in smartphones that can be charged in as little as a minute.
I saw that the other day. I will be quick to stop using removable batteries when that becomes mainstream. Great news.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

johng wrote:Well if all you want to do is make calls and send texts then something like that is perfect. Samsung 1200 is it? Was going to get one for me aulfellah to replace his old Nokia 6300.

And it will be........

Wait for it...........

Drum roll............

So When I get fed up with the no nonsense samsung do I go for an LG G4 or a Samsung S4 /s5?
I tend (well the kids do) take a fair few photos - removable memory card sounds like a great idea.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

olaf the fat wrote:So When I get fed up with the no nonsense samsung do I go for an LG G4 or a Samsung S4 /s5?
I tend (well the kids do) take a fair few photos - removable memory card sounds like a great idea.
The S5 is pretty much free on most plans as the S6 has been released. I think the S5 has a 16mp camera and an expansion slot which is becoming quite rare. Its a solid phone at a solid price with a whole raft of cheaper accessories out there.
The S6 now has image stabilisation built in to the camera and the S6 edge looks pretty swish but neither come with an expansion slot (though 32gb is more than you will ever need really). Priced the same as an iPhone6.
The other thing thats good from Samsung is that they tend to manage OS updates better than other manufacturers.

Personally I'd go for the phone with the better camera. Good pictures are far more valuable than the ability to store lesser quality ones, and if the phone has 32mb of memory you wont need more.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Logorrhea wrote:
olaf the fat wrote: and if the phone has 32mb of memory you wont need more.
I'd say you probably will! :mrgreen:
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Morf wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:
olaf the fat wrote: and if the phone has 32mb of memory you wont need more.
Good point, I should clarify that if you want to store your 20,000 songs (90% of which you haven't listened to since your teens), a season of your favourite TV, and your entire photo collection ........ then you could possibly need more that 32gb of memory.

However if you just "tend (well the kids do) take a fair few photos", then 32gb will probably be fine. :)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I've been using Google Play Music a lot recently. You can upload up to 50,000 songs (though not really - you only actually upload the songs not already in the 30 million songs already in Google Play) on a free account. You can access your library on 10 devices (max of 5 smartphones). On top of which I have my camera sync with my dropbox so I keep very little actual content on the phone itself.
Last edited by Dave Cahill on April 14th, 2015, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Logorrhea wrote:
Morf wrote:
Good point, I should clarify that if you want to store your 20,000 songs (90% of which you haven't listened to since your teens), a season of your favourite TV, and your entire photo collection ........ then you could possibly need more that 32gb of memory.

However if you just "tend (well the kids do) take a fair few photos", then 32gb will probably be fine. :)
Apps and OS take up a sh1tload. Depending what apps you use.

I have a 16GB S4 and a 64GB SD card. Even with a lot of apps moved to SD and ALL Music, Photos, etc over there, 16GB is a squeeze (Of course there are all the Samsung apps that you can't delete without rooting the phone)

32GB for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING would not work for me. As it is I have to clear out my photos every 6 months.

Only one season of my favourite tv show? :( what about Leinster matches. :lol:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:I've been using Google Play Music a lot recently. You can upload up to 50,000 songs (though not really - you only actually upload the songs not already in the 30 million songs already in Google Play) on a free account. You can access your library on 10 devices (max of 5 smartphones). On top of which I have my camera sync with my dropbox so I keep very little actual content on the phone itself.
Maybe it's just me. But I can't actually stream anything reliably. Tune in Radio. I can only walk about 100 yards without losing the stream. Podcasts? Same. Works ok on Wifi but not out and about.

Even at home I will get drop outs or pauses on youtube. So having the stuff on an SD card is the only way to guarantee glitch free listening. Now if only there was a phone with an actual FM radio instead of a streaming app......... even my late 90s Nokia had one of those.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I uploaded 20K songs to Google Play the other year. Never listen to it as I mostly listen to stuff I haven't listened to before or that is more recent than that (I think 20k was all they allowed at the time). I'm not saying that I had listened to all the 20K I had that I uploaded, but if I haven't got around to it before I'm still not going to. But then I have a room full of records I don't trouble much anymore... (yes, the wife wants it back).

I like using IFTTT for performing certain actions like saving to Evernote in a calendar my Facebook profile updates, into a folder for stuff I favourite on Twitter for reading later (I use Instapaper too but don't follow it up), text people that I don't listen to voicemail much so they may want to text me etc. Do Camera button to save pictures to a receipts folder...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

olaf the fat wrote: So When I get fed up with the no nonsense samsung do I go for an LG G4 or a Samsung S4 /s5?
Going off Samsung tbf. S6 has no SD slot or removable battery. Not gone on the S5 and the S4 is showing it's age now. (You can still buy all 3 new)

A fellow forummer here has an LG G3 and I like it. Not as heavy on the built in apps and personalisation of the OS as Samsung. A little bit slabby looking for trendy types, which doesn't bother me.

I may get one if the G4 is vastly more expensive or hard to get. Or if there is a price reduction on the G3 when the G4 comes out. (Due on the 28th of this month)
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

If its an SD slot, removable battery and FM radio you want then worth looking at Lumia phones. No flagship device recently and wont be until windows 10 is launched. Apps may or may not be a concern depending on which ones you use.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

waterboy wrote:If its an SD slot, removable battery and FM radio you want then worth looking at Lumia phones. No flagship device recently and wont be until windows 10 is launched. Apps may or may not be a concern depending on which ones you use.
Windows phones though. Not a fan. Have briefly used one. Never owned one.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I've been using Google Play Music a lot recently. You can upload up to 50,000 songs (though not really - you only actually upload the songs not already in the 30 million songs already in Google Play) on a free account. You can access your library on 10 devices (max of 5 smartphones). On top of which I have my camera sync with my dropbox so I keep very little actual content on the phone itself.
Maybe it's just me. But I can't actually stream anything reliably. Tune in Radio. I can only walk about 100 yards without losing the stream. Podcasts? Same. Works ok on Wifi but not out and about.

Even at home I will get drop outs or pauses on youtube. So having the stuff on an SD card is the only way to guarantee glitch free listening. Now if only there was a phone with an actual FM radio instead of a streaming app......... even my late 90s Nokia had one of those.
My phone has an FM radio :P

I use Spotify and (now) GPM extensively and the only time I ever have an issue when using 3G/4G is on the train between Ashtown and Broombridge stations, and thats only if the trains wifi has those sites blocked.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fourthirtythree wrote:I uploaded 20K songs to Google Play the other year. Never listen to it as I mostly listen to stuff I haven't listened to before or that is more recent than that (I think 20k was all they allowed at the time).
I keep it synching automatically with my iTunes library which is handy, particularly for playlists
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
that's one out of 3 Dave.

Even Meatloaf knows that's not up to scratch! :)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
that's one out of 3 Dave.

Even Meatloaf knows that's not up to scratch! :)
SD slot too - so don't feel sad.
I have Bumbleflex