Marriage Equality Referendum

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Do you approve of the proposed amendment to the Constitution?

Yes
81%
No
19%
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 43

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Marriage Equality Referendum

Post by hugonaut »

jezzer wrote:I voted yes.

But, unlike most on here, I don't believe that the grounds for a no vote are entirely baseless by any means. My grasp of the Constitution is shaky, but I think there's enough in its fairly unique contextualisation of the family that a yes vote could spawn in the future more challenging and complex questions. It's perfectly true that a yes vote doesn't automatically change anything, but the path is open for wider changes to be sought by interest groups or individuals on the basis of the changed "constitutional identity" that is afforded by a yes vote.

I'm OK with that, on balance. Not everybody is.

I'm not OK with being just as bigoted towards those who are no voters as certain no voters are towards gay people.

Very similar in a number of regards, Jazzer. I voted yes to both amendments, but I know very reasonable people who voted no to either/both of them and haven't lost any respect for them whatsoever. They didn't make a big deal of it or go around trying to convince other people to change their vote, but it was clear from conversations that they were very likely to vote no. I don't have to agree with everything friends/family/colleagues do to like or respect them.

Of course, there are a lot of people on the public/official 'No' side who I didn't have much [if any] respect for in the first place, and wouldn't want to be on their side of the argument in any case – John Waters, Breda O'Brien et al. I found their arguments to be really weak on an intellectual level. I have no doubt that they fully believed in their cause [i.e. they weren't doing it just to be controversial], but to my mind they couldn't really make a compelling argument against the amendment, while the public/official 'Yes' side had quite a lot of good answers and presented them in a measured and convincing way. I also found a lot of the personal narratives from gay friends/former college mates/colleagues very affecting. It was clear that it was a huge deal to them and that they saw it in many ways as more than just a referendum on marriage, but as a vote on attitudes and acceptance.

I agree that there may be other issues further down the line – the law of unintended consequences and all that – but the propensity of the 'No' side to bring all these circumstantial possibilities to the fore and not have adequate answers or rebuttals to the case at hand only served to highlight [to me, at least] that there didn't seem to be any good reason to vote no and quite a few good reasons to vote yes.

With regards to the presidential age referendum, I believe that people should be judged on their own merits. I voted in the morning on the way to work, and passed my polling office on the way back from work, where some poor old dear with her husband in the passenger street was making a pretty dreadful hash of pulling her car out into traffic. It struck me that while the majority of 80+ year olds may not be particularly good drivers anymore, there are some that are still completely capable. I wouldn't revoke anybody's driving licence without cause just because they've reached the age of 80. While the majority of those under 35 mightn't have the judgment or experience to be the head of state, there might very well be those few who do, and who could bring vigour and purpose to the role. Who's to say that they're too young at 25 or 29 or 34?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Looks like it is going to pass comfortably.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was thinking the other day that it's not just important to win but to win by a big margin, it looks like that's going to be the case and I think that's a hugely positive statement by society.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I was thinking the other day that it's not just important to win but to win by a big margin, it looks like that's going to be the case and I think that's a hugely positive statement by society.
One huge advantage of a big margin is that the body politic have been empowered to properly address the issues/problems.
A tight margin similar to the abortion referenda would have left the government (and politicians in general) in no man's land searching for ways to dodge the issues.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Avenger wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:What exactly is the worry about a gay couple taking a case like that?
I'd love to hear the answer to this myself.
Jaysis, I'm trying to point out that not all no voters have to be homophobes or assholes.

Im not about to try and make/prove their entire argument. I'll leave that to people who actually voted no.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jezzer wrote:
Avenger wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:What exactly is the worry about a gay couple taking a case like that?
Jaysis, I'm trying to point out that not all no voters have to be homophobes or assholes.

Im not about to try and make/prove their entire argument. I'll leave that to people who actually voted no.
I know some assholes who voted yes.
I may be wrong, but I would suggest that homophobia is a far greater issue for males than females and yet quite a few women will have voted no.
Interestingly a group of nuns I know of, all voted Yes or at least said they were voting Yes and you'd have to take them at their word.
In general you can stereotype the fringe elements but it's fair to say that 90% of the people who voted yesterday did so for valid reasons as they saw it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

The No campaign produced a remarkable number of red herrings - the surrogacy argument being the real peach. There is no legislative provision regarding surrogacy as things stand and it is frankly impossible to see how this constitutional amendment might affect the issue down the road. Delighted with the result.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Hippo wrote:The No campaign produced a remarkable number of red herrings - the surrogacy argument being the real peach.
Knowledge is knowing that a red herring is a fruit...
A proud Winsome Fluter
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

So, when do the gays commence with the children snatching or whatever codology the no crowd were spewing. Seriously though, the little man has a dirty nappy that needs sorting so if they take care of that it'll be much appreciated
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

RoboProp wrote:So, when do the gays commence with the children snatching or whatever codology the no crowd were spewing. Seriously though, the little man has a dirty nappy that needs sorting so if they take care of that it'll be much appreciated
A picture just taken in Dublin Airport....

I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Surrogacy and adoption are serious (and massively complex) issues. But nothing to do with this.

If you can't have a child because you are infertile. Does that make you better than someone who can't have a child for other reasons?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

jezzer wrote:
Avenger wrote:

But you went on at length about there being a concern about same sex married couple going to court without actually saying what they'd be hoping to happen as a result of the case, it's a pretty simple, and valid, question.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Hippo wrote:The No campaign produced a remarkable number of red herrings - the surrogacy argument being the real peach.
Knowledge is knowing that a red herring is a fruit...
Quite. There was drink taken...
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

The same electorate that were so vocal and passionate for "equality for everyone" decided in the privacy of the polling station that under 35 year olds aren't entitled to the same rights as over 35s. We recently also voted to remove the right of some children born in Ireland to citizenship. "Equality for some, but not for all" would have been more apt.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

So Deco.
By your reckoning the people who voted overwhelmingly for one amendment hadn't a clue what they were doing when they voted overwhelmingly against the other amendment.
That does not compute.
If a heavily pregnant woman, with absolutely no association with this country, flies into this country to have her baby etc then who exactlty is taking the p!ss with our system.
I know exactly where my vote would go and furthermore I'll be f^cked if my hard earned taxes should be abused in such a way, particularly when there is so much else needing fixing. If you disagree then I suggest you send your money to an appropriate body.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Avenger wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Far more likely in the short term.
A gay couple will call up to their local pp and ask him to marry them.
No they won't.
And even if they do, the local pp won't be obliged to marry them.

We haven't seen long lines of divorced people forcing Catholic priests to marry them. Why would we expect a different outcome this time around?
Heavy words are so lightly thrown