Punch Drunk - the boxing thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Punch Drunk - the boxing thread

Post by blockhead »

The Anathemata wrote:Well done Andy Lee. Doing Ireland and Limerick proud! Unbelievable left hook, but the follow up 17 unanswered shots on the button are what did it for him.

Loved his valedictory speech afterwards: "Up the Irish!" Fcukin Don!
+1. Lovely stylish boxer, seems like a lovely lad. Saw him box a few times in the National stadium and the point. Thought his time had come and gone TBH. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

blockhead wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:Well done Andy Lee. Doing Ireland and Limerick proud! Unbelievable left hook, but the follow up 17 unanswered shots on the button are what did it for him.

Loved his valedictory speech afterwards: "Up the Irish!" Fcukin Don!
+1. Lovely stylish boxer, seems like a lovely lad. Saw him box a few times in the National stadium and the point. Thought his time had come and gone TBH. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOMXZQgfLiI
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

ITV4 will screen live IBF super bantamweight champion Carl Frampton’s first title defence against Chris Avalos from Belfast on February 28.

Free to air Frampton? Yes please!
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Broken Wing wrote:ITV4 will screen live IBF super bantamweight champion Carl Frampton’s first title defence against Chris Avalos from Belfast on February 28.

Free to air Frampton? Yes please!

Frampton will be a huge hit on tv, hopefully this will lead him to some big domestic fights against quigg and that galahad and imo hell beat both of those.

I see rigodneaux has been knocked down twice in his last fight, in a year or two I can see Frampton being able to get to him as well.

Big future ahead for this guy
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Looks like Andy Lee fight not going ahead now in Thomond. Has a virus apparently.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

There's a rumour about ticket sales being the real reason.

Whatever the case it has been moved to Manchester.

Hats off the to amateurs again. Two golds and a bronze from the Europeans as well as qualifications to the Worlds in October. The Wolrds are Rio 2016 qualifiers so getting there is the first step.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA2LpmOtTlI

Santa Crus vs Mares featherweight

fight of the year so far?
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

IABA putting the amateur back in boxing again. After last week's Billy Walsh fiasco they've named him as coach for the tournament in Poland next week without saying anything at all about what that actually means for his current position and whether they've resolved their differences or not.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Broken Wing wrote:IABA putting the amateur back in boxing again. After last week's Billy Walsh fiasco they've named him as coach for the tournament in Poland next week without saying anything at all about what that actually means for his current position and whether they've resolved their differences or not.
In fairness there's a little more to the original story than has been described so far, not quite as straightforward as it seems.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

From the World Championships in Doha Ireland have a bronze medal for Michael O'Reilly, at least a silver for Michael Conlan and Joe Ward fights tonight to upgrade his bronze to at least a silver and to secure his place in Rio 2016. Michael O'Reilly faces the other middleweight bronze medalist, Egypt's Homas Abdin, on Thursday to decide who goes to the Olympics.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Broken Wing wrote: April 10th, 2013, 3:23 pm
IanD wrote:Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr
I'm not sure the fight is a good idea but he has repeatedly said it's not a comeback. It's just a fight that should have happened but never did. Hope it works out for him. I have very happy memories of his fights with Eubank.
Clearly the Producers of "One Night in Millstreet" think you are not alone with those memories!

One Night In Millstreet will be released in Irish cinemas on 5th April 2024...https://youtu.be/18bLMmN7kwE?si=9usky-ZOMtbL9XWz

ONE NIGHT IN MILLSTREET is the story of Ireland in 1995, a snapshot of a country told through a high stakes prize fight in Millstreet, Cork between the then unknown underdog Steve ‘The Celtic Warrior’ Collins and the larger-than-life champion Chris ‘Simply The Best’ Eubank - an against-all-odds sporting event that had an entire nation gripped and on the edge of its seat.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

brotheroffrank wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 12:25 pm
Broken Wing wrote: April 10th, 2013, 3:23 pm
IanD wrote:Steve Collins granted boxing licence for fight with Roy Jones Jr
I'm not sure the fight is a good idea but he has repeatedly said it's not a comeback. It's just a fight that should have happened but never did. Hope it works out for him. I have very happy memories of his fights with Eubank.
Clearly the Producers of "One Night in Millstreet" think you are not alone with those memories!

One Night In Millstreet will be released in Irish cinemas on 5th April 2024...https://youtu.be/18bLMmN7kwE?si=9usky-ZOMtbL9XWz

ONE NIGHT IN MILLSTREET is the story of Ireland in 1995, a snapshot of a country told through a high stakes prize fight in Millstreet, Cork between the then unknown underdog Steve ‘The Celtic Warrior’ Collins and the larger-than-life champion Chris ‘Simply The Best’ Eubank - an against-all-odds sporting event that had an entire nation gripped and on the edge of its seat.
He was hardly unknown. Any boxing fan would have known about him.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Collins was certainly known to Irish/UK Boxing fans, but the USA/Vegas are the real meal tickets, not sure how well known he was over there before this fight made headlines...if, as suggested by the review, this movie is anywhere near the level of "When We Were Kings", it will be worth the trip to the cinema, so given the forecast for the early part of next week I might just catch a movie!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/boxing ... l-triumph/
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

brotheroffrank wrote: April 5th, 2024, 2:14 pm Collins was certainly known to Irish/UK Boxing fans, but the USA/Vegas are the real meal tickets, not sure how well known he was over there before this fight made headlines...if, as suggested by the review, this movie is anywhere near the level of "When We Were Kings", it will be worth the trip to the cinema, so given the forecast for the early part of next week I might just catch a movie!

Again, in fact he was better known in the States than he was here arguably. He fought Gerald McClellan, I think twice, and lost both narrowly when McClellan was considered the best pound for pound fighter in the world. Collins gained a huge amount of credit from those fights and Eubank, Benn and Watson dodged him. Didn't want to know anything about the fight with Collins. In fact Collins used to joke that the WBO belt, the one he won from Eubank stood for World Body Odour champion because of the way the American media used to deride the UK fighters. It wasn't until Joe Calzahge came along that British fighters claimed any credit in the middleweight and super middleweight divisions.

I'm a bit of a fan, not of wife beaters, but of boxing.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

offshorerules wrote: April 5th, 2024, 3:53 pm
brotheroffrank wrote: April 5th, 2024, 2:14 pm Collins was certainly known to Irish/UK Boxing fans, but the USA/Vegas are the real meal tickets, not sure how well known he was over there before this fight made headlines...if, as suggested by the review, this movie is anywhere near the level of "When We Were Kings", it will be worth the trip to the cinema, so given the forecast for the early part of next week I might just catch a movie!

Again, in fact he was better known in the States than he was here arguably. He fought Gerald McClellan, I think twice, and lost both narrowly when McClellan was considered the best pound for pound fighter in the world. Collins gained a huge amount of credit from those fights and Eubank, Benn and Watson dodged him. Didn't want to know anything about the fight with Collins. In fact Collins used to joke that the WBO belt, the one he won from Eubank stood for World Body Odour champion because of the way the American media used to deride the UK fighters. It wasn't until Joe Calzahge came along that British fighters claimed any credit in the middleweight and super middleweight divisions.

I am willing to stand corrected; you have better knowledge on the topic than I...
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

brotheroffrank wrote: April 5th, 2024, 6:22 pm

I am willing to stand corrected; you have better knowledge on the topic than I...
Just a boxing geek.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

offshorerules wrote: April 8th, 2024, 8:21 am
brotheroffrank wrote: April 5th, 2024, 6:22 pm

Just a boxing geek.
As there was the biblical deluge on Monday evening I took the chance to go see One Night in Millstreet in Movies@Dundrum; https://youtu.be/18bLMmN7kwE?si=9usky-ZOMtbL9XWz : as you are a self professed boxing geek it is definitely one you would enjoy! The Irish Times review was spot on...[I also googled the Cork Examiner review, had to laugh at the number of times they referenced Noel C Duggan :lol: ]