NFL

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: NFL

Post by Hippo »

As befits my team's name, I'm dropping out of the Fantasy league at this stage. I just don't have the time to devote to researching things properly this year. Good luck to all!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Seems the Rams play to level of their opposition. Doing well against the flying Cardinals after being shite for two weeks after beating Seattle.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... oe-philbin

On the one hand, this is no great surprise - despite many pundits tipping the 'Fins to win (or at least challenge for) the AFC East this season, they've looked dreadful. On the other, leaving Bill Laser to make the calls and putting a head-coaching rookie in as interim HC smacks of desperation. Still, maybe it can't get any worse
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Lamb of BOD wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... oe-philbin

On the one hand, this is no great surprise - despite many pundits tipping the 'Fins to win (or at least challenge for) the AFC East this season, they've looked dreadful. On the other, leaving Bill Laser to make the calls and putting a head-coaching rookie in as interim HC smacks of desperation. Still, maybe it can't get any worse
This is a team that refuses to compete. Theres nothing you can do with a team like that.

Bill Lazor's offense isnt a bad one. His playcalling is dreadful though.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

jezzer wrote:
Lamb of BOD wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... oe-philbin

This is a team that refuses to compete. Theres nothing you can do with a team like that.

Bill Lazor's offense isnt a bad one. His playcalling is dreadful though.
I was at Wembley last Sunday Jezzer.......I could not believe the play calling. Still, there were some players also clearly just phoning it in......... the hammering against the Bills the week before had taken a severe toll I think.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

The screen pass on 3rd and long is my personal favourite
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

6 weeks in and it's another interesting NFL season. It appears there are a couple of really good teams, a handful of atrocious teams, with the rest of them somewhere in the middle. At this stage, it's looking for all the world like a New England vs Green bay Superbowl - but there's a lot of football to be played before that comes to pass. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to have been a heck of a lot of injuries already this season/preseason. Certainly some very high profile players have gone down - JPP, Dez, Romo, Big Ben to name but a few - but it appears we can't go a week without a cruciate ligament injury.

As to our fantasy League, we have some serious competition, with a mere 27 points separating first from fourth. Congrats to both Macklexv and DBreathnach who've been neck and neck since the start, but also to macsjets and JohnB23 who've come roaring back into contention
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Lamb of BOD wrote:6 weeks in and it's another interesting NFL season. It appears there are a couple of really good teams, a handful of atrocious teams, with the rest of them somewhere in the middle. At this stage, it's looking for all the world like a New England vs Green bay Superbowl - but there's a lot of football to be played before that comes to pass. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to have been a heck of a lot of injuries already this season/preseason. Certainly some very high profile players have gone down - JPP, Dez, Romo, Big Ben to name but a few - but it appears we can't go a week without a cruciate ligament injury.

As to our fantasy League, we have some serious competition, with a mere 27 points separating first from fourth. Congrats to both Macklexv and DBreathnach who've been neck and neck since the start, but also to macsjets and JohnB23 who've come roaring back into contention
I'm really enjoying the season so far....... perennial strong teams like the Seahawks and Ravens are getting beaten on a regular basis..... Our new coach seems to be a very good fit for the Jets... all understatement and hard work..... none of the brashness of the Rex era. It looks like we're in the driving seat to test the Pats for division honours which is not what the thinking was pre season.....MASSIVE game coming up this weekend in Foxboro. The Bengals look a serious outfit but I would be very hopeful of us picking up a Wildcard if we keep our mistakes(Fitzpatrick picks) to a minimum. NFC East is a right mess with no one able to establish a serious lead yet. Would agree that Pats V Packers Super Bowl looks good at the moment..... as I said though... this coming Sunday will be interesting!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

The Giants Saints game is insane. 51 yard field goal attempt to win it 52-49. And he makes it.

In other news, Gurley is unbelievably good. Presume everyone doing fantasy football has him. The Rams landed on their feet drafting him.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Avenger wrote:The Giants Saints game is insane. 51 yard field goal attempt to win it 52-49. And he makes it.

In other news, Gurley is unbelievably good. Presume everyone doing fantasy football has him. The Rams landed on their feet drafting him.
Could turn out to be as good as AP............serious talent.

In other news the much vaunted Jets D decides to take the afternoon off en masse in the Black hole yesterday...... oh...... and the Genocoaster is back on display. Better strap myself in! :shock: :(
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

nelly the elephant wrote:
Lamb of BOD wrote:6 weeks in and it's another interesting NFL season. It appears there are a couple of really good teams, a handful of atrocious teams, with the rest of them somewhere in the middle. At this stage, it's looking for all the world like a New England vs Green bay Superbowl - but there's a lot of football to be played before that comes to pass. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to have been a heck of a lot of injuries already this season/preseason. Certainly some very high profile players have gone down - JPP, Dez, Romo, Big Ben to name but a few - but it appears we can't go a week without a cruciate ligament injury.

I'm really enjoying the season so far....... perennial strong teams like the Seahawks and Ravens are getting beaten on a regular basis..... Our new coach seems to be a very good fit for the Jets... all understatement and hard work..... none of the brashness of the Rex era. It looks like we're in the driving seat to test the Pats for division honours which is not what the thinking was pre season.....MASSIVE game coming up this weekend in Foxboro. The Bengals look a serious outfit but I would be very hopeful of us picking up a Wildcard if we keep our mistakes(Fitzpatrick picks) to a minimum. NFC East is a right mess with no one able to establish a serious lead yet. Would agree that Pats V Packers Super Bowl looks good at the moment..... as I said though... this coming Sunday will be interesting!
Miami should never have let Bowles go. Philbin viewed him as competition for his seat so got rid of him. Turns out that as the wrong way around.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

The Giants are one frustrating team to follow. 7 down heading into the 4th quarter, they turn it around to be 7 up with about 3 mins on the clock. Not exactly home and hosed but a nice position to be in. We concede the TD but grand just need to close it out and go into OT with possession and about 40 secs left. Then just a clusterfuck all round to lose with the final play. Coughlan must have done his nut afterwards.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

waterboy wrote:The Giants are one frustrating team to follow. 7 down heading into the 4th quarter, they turn it around to be 7 up with about 3 mins on the clock. Not exactly home and hosed but a nice position to be in. We concede the TD but grand just need to close it out and go into OT with possession and about 40 secs left. Then just a clusterfuck all round to lose with the final play. Coughlan must have done his nut afterwards.
+1 Tear my hair out sometimes!!
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

waterboy wrote:The Giants are one frustrating team to follow. 7 down heading into the 4th quarter, they turn it around to be 7 up with about 3 mins on the clock. Not exactly home and hosed but a nice position to be in. We concede the TD but grand just need to close it out and go into OT with possession and about 40 secs left. Then just a clusterfuck all round to lose with the final play. Coughlan must have done his nut afterwards.
That's three games this season that we lost that could have been managed better. Not saying we'd have beaten the Saints in OT - I felt they pretty much always had the upperhand on us, but then again, we did go ahead late on with that pick 6.
better outing last weekend against Tampa, but still not firing on many cylinders. JPP brought a bit of fight to the D line, and he can (hopefully) only improve as he gets his match fitness back. How his club hand is going to affect his game is anyone's guess. I notice he puts his left hand into the turf now - that on its own is enough to throw his game off a little.
I'm far from confident going into this weekend's game. We need career games from several players to even keep the score down. I've noticed in Fantasy that when I put Odell on my team, he has a below-average day and when I leave him out he scores three times. therefore, I've left him out of my starting lineup to give us some chance! (Fantasy owners can go ahead and play Antonio Brown as I've done the same with him!). We could certainly do with an Eagles loss this Sunday as only the divisional winner will escape from the East

Terrible shame that Grantland has been axed by ESPN. I must see if barnwell and Mays are available on the main site. I hope they haven't been canned, too
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Just picked up tickets to the Boston College - Georgia Tech game. Anyone else going?

Blk 115 row T seats 1-5
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Lamb of BOD wrote:Just picked up tickets to the Boston College - Georgia Tech game. Anyone else going?

Blk 115 row T seats 1-5
Oh, I'm going to that too. Same block, I think, just behind the end zone.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

TheBear wrote:
Lamb of BOD wrote:Just picked up tickets to the Boston College - Georgia Tech game. Anyone else going?

Blk 115 row T seats 1-5
Oh, I'm going to that too. Same block, I think, just behind the end zone.
Same Section, Row P. John23jnr and Snr will be in attendance.
Last edited by John23 on November 22nd, 2015, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Double Post
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Weird game to hold overseas. Apart from obvious attraction of having a Boston team in Ireland, both teams play eclectic offensive systems that are totally unrepresentative of US College Football.

BC play this very run-heavy, grinding style with huge emphasis on the-line and defense. Don't expect to see a lot fo pretty stuff with the QB slinging it downfield.

Georgia Tech play the triple option, which is also quite run-heavy. Look out for the QB deciding what do do based on the DE and MLB's movement - a lot of it will be handing off or pitching to the RB or FB,

Won't be a pretty game, one way or another. But should be great craic as an event.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Is there a mechanism in NFL for sending off a player? Odell Beckham Jr leading with the head last night is about as cheap a shot as you're ever likely to see. Was delighted to see the Panthers finally put them away with the last second field-goal.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish