Gar Ringrose

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Gary Ringrose

Poll ended at November 21st, 2015, 5:04 pm

I agree Ringrose has looked very promising, is it not a little early to hail him as the second coming?
55%
No. And I think a lot of people would find that suggestion offensive
16%
Let's wait and see what D'arce has to say it about it in the IT
29%

Total votes: 31

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Gar Ringrose

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Given that a lot if us are salivating at the possibility of a centre partnership of Henshaw and Ringrose next season, quick poll to help clarify our thoughts

OK, Clarification on the Poll question and Options

Question: While Gary Ringrose has looked very promising, is it not a little early to hail him as the second coming?

Option 1: Yes, Gary Ringrose has looked very promising, but it is a little early to hail him as the second coming
Option 2: No, Gary Ringrose has looked very promising, but it certainly is not a little early to hail him as the second coming, and a lot of people here would find that suggestion offensive !!!!
Option 3: D'Arce
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on November 17th, 2015, 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Re: Gary Ringrose

Post by goreyguy »

:roll: poll makes no sense
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Ringrose is the real deal. And with his character and work ethic on the pitch, you'd be betting he's going to stick in the senior squad and not go the way of some other highly touted Leinster backs (I still rate Conway tho!)

But, what we're talking about for the moment is whether he is starter quality in the Pro12. I think he is, even though he's been played out of position. He's shown some good attacking cameos and a huge amount of work around the pitch in those few games. His offload game is great, he puts his head in there in defence. So, yeah, even when the others come back I think he should be in most Pro12 23s.

But whether he's good enough to start in the ECC or to play for Ireland - we have no way of knowing yet. Sample size for the fans is ridiculously small, even for the coaches training can only tell you so much. He's not a huge guy yet frame-wise, though he seems to be pretty tough. 13 is a position where meat on the bone is becoming a premium asset, even in Leinster. It's just too soon to predict the kid's career arc. Right now, he deserves a slot in the squad and a shot at being "the guy", based off of his clear and obvious talent/potential.

He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

goreyguy wrote::roll: poll makes no sense
it would be a terribly boring place if we all just agreed with each other now wouldn't it?

1: it is too early to say he's the second coming
2: no, it's not too early to say he's the second coming, and be careful if you say that, peeps will be offended!!!!
3: lets see what happens

Made sense to me and the other lad when I posted it :)
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

jezzer wrote:Ringrose is the real deal. And with his character and work ethic on the pitch, you'd be betting he's going to stick in the senior squad and not go the way of some other highly touted Leinster backs (I still rate Conway tho!)

But, what we're talking about for the moment is whether he is starter quality in the Pro12. I think he is, even though he's been played out of position. He's shown some good attacking cameos and a huge amount of work around the pitch in those few games. His offload game is great, he puts his head in there in defence. So, yeah, even when the others come back I think he should be in most Pro12 23s.

But whether he's good enough to start in the ECC or to play for Ireland - we have no way of knowing yet. Sample size for the fans is ridiculously small, even for the coaches training can only tell you so much. He's not a huge guy yet frame-wise, though he seems to be pretty tough. 13 is a position where meat on the bone is becoming a premium asset, even in Leinster. It's just too soon to predict the kid's career arc. Right now, he deserves a slot in the squad and a shot at being "the guy", based off of his clear and obvious talent/potential.

He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Nice, liking the last sentence, very eloquent, sums up the post perfectly.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
it would be a terribly boring place if we all just agreed with each other now wouldn't it?

2: no, it's not too early to say he's the second coming, and be careful if you say that, peeps will be offended!!!!

well look at the actual options:

I agree Ringrose has looked very promising, is it not a little early to hail him as the second coming?
No. And I think a lot of people would find that suggestion offensive.

So if i voted for the 1st one id say he is very promising but then id ask a question at the end about over hyping him.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

goreyguy wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

well look at the actual options:
No. And I think a lot of people would find that suggestion offensive.

So if i voted for the 1st one id say he is very promising but then id ask a question at the end about over hyping him.
Yes, you would say he's looking promising, but let's not overhype him.

Though in fairness it's the second question that interests me most. Would a lot of people find it offensive to suggest that Gary Ringrose has shown a lot of promise, but it may be too soon to hail him as the second coming.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

He's the most exciting young back coming into the squad since Luke, for me. Given that Luke got his callup about 10 years ago (amazing when you think about it and what he's been through), you could call Gary a once-in-a-generation talent and that would probably be fair, without overhyping him.

Obviously in that time we've had other great backs coming in (Johnny and Kearney Sr. obvious ones), but I don't think anyone has looked as gifted from the get-go as Luke and now Ringrose.

Luke's career - not just the injuries but the positional switches - show you that pure talent and hard work still don't guarantee a star career. Big slices of luck and timing involved.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Now, if we could just generate a vaguely competent scrumhalf in 3 decades.......
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

jezzer wrote:Ringrose is the real deal. And with his character and work ethic on the pitch, you'd be betting he's going to stick in the senior squad and not go the way of some other highly touted Leinster backs (I still rate Conway tho!)

+1
He is the real deal and highest quality potential. But that potential only gets realised as he moves up to competitive levels that test his experience and skill-set. Playing him out of position, i.e. not at 13, allows him the space to grow into games of this pace, without losing confidence if he screws up.

AFAIAC, he and JVdF are pure gold dust, international class players, who are improving each year but look and play well enough now, to warrent consideration for top Leinster games
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Axel Foley
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

simonokeeffe wrote:Axel Foley

Comes under option 3 Lets wait and see what D'Arce has to say about it in the IT
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

jezzer wrote:Now, if we could just generate a vaguely competent scrumhalf in 3 decades.......
given up on Luke McGrath? Still only 22 with 7 career tries in limited gametime(798 minutes over in 5 seasons)
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

goreyguy wrote:
jezzer wrote:Now, if we could just generate a vaguely competent scrumhalf in 3 decades.......
given up on Luke McGrath? Still only 22 with 7 career tries in limited gametime(798 minutes over in 5 seasons)
Nah, just amazed we have zero conveyor belt at one of the most important skill positions in rugby. And its been that way for 25 years. In Leinster, the 10 gets the chicks, loike.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

jezzer wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
Nah, just amazed we have zero conveyor belt at one of the most important skill positions in rugby. And its been that way for 25 years. In Leinster, the 10 gets the chicks, loike.
Yeah it's frustrating over the past decade we've had a lot of Irish u20 scrumhalves but still haven't been able to produce a homegrown 1st or 2nd choice scrumhalf(until maybe Luke McGrath this season)
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

goreyguy wrote:
Season 1: 17 years old.
Season 2: 18 years old
and so on.
He has a long career ahead of him,hopefully. Plenty of time to become a 1st choice SH if he's good enough.
His "homegrown" status should have no bearing on his selection, only his ability.
If he dosen't work out, replace him with another import. Reddan and Boss have served us well over the years, our golden years. Another 25 years without producing a SH of real quality is no problem to me.
Trophies, trophies, trophies.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

blockhead wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
Season 1: 17 years old.
Season 2: 18 years old
and so on.
He has a long career ahead of him,hopefully. Plenty of time to become a 1st choice SH if he's good enough.
His "homegrown" status should have no bearing on his selection, only his ability.
If he dosen't work out, replace him with another import. Reddan and Boss have served us well over the years, our golden years. Another 25 years without producing a SH of real quality is no problem to me.
Trophies, trophies, trophies.
Well the province has to aim to produce it's own players at all positions, signings don't always work out, just look at our record at lock. Also given the financial pressure we may come under from abroad it will be necessary to have homegrown players coming through in the event we begin to lose players. Realistically we need to develop a top level scrumhalf just like we have managed to at most other positions in recent years. Player development is essential to Leinster remaining competitive.

On the topic of Luke, his debut was just after turning 19. He has looked more than good enough to be backup scrumhalf this season and has been steadily improving, his homegrown status has some bearing due to NIQ rules and lack of viable IQ'd alternatives out there to sign but I agree that if he isn't good enough we shouldn't just stick with him because he is from the academy.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Your options are "Yes", "No" and "Let's wait and see". But there's no question. "Gary Ringose" isn't a question.

(I used to know a fella called Richard Wash. "Dick Wash?" - now that's a question. See the difference)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

The Doc wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Your options are "Yes", "No" and "Let's wait and see". But there's no question. "Gary Ringose" isn't a question.

(I used to know a fella called Richard Wash. "Dick Wash?" - now that's a question. See the difference)
I dont know Dick Wash, but I do use mouth rinse.

13 people seem to understand the poll.

I suggest you select option 3, D'Arce tends to always be a good choice.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I'm with the Doc.....
Scene, duo on a vacant stage, dry ice languishing about the ankles to the fore, torn black drapery about the back.
Provocateur: [Voice escalating in question] Ahem, Gary Ringose?
Plebian: [unfurling a dueling glove] No. And I think a lot of people would find that suggestion offensive!

I'm not buying a ticket to see that!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan