Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Big Marty off to Wasps?

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Big Marty off to Wasps?

Post by artaneboy »

Yeah- but sort of inevitable. Furlong is clearly at his level now- and with Marty's injury profile (and current form) the Wexford man is the better bet. Ross there for another year and the Academy seems to be sucking diesel on that production line now. So if we had to lose a player- THP is probably a position we can cope with.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

artaneboy wrote:
Yeah- but sort of inevitable. Furlong is clearly at his level now- and with Marty's injury profile (and current form) the Wexford man is the better bet. Ross there for another year and the Academy seems to be sucking diesel on that production line now. So if we had to lose a player- THP is probably a position we can cope with.
Not really, he's one of the main reasons why we're strong there, remove him and we lose that.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

WTF does David Nucifora actually do?

I think Marty is making a mistake here. Jack Mc and Healy have shown that two props can get plenty of game time for us. And with Ross gone in a year or so what does that leave us with at TH? Are we going to have to recruit?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

F**k!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't doubt that there's a chance he'll go and some of the wording in the article is worrying...but most of it isn't.

It's basically the classic Gerry article for this kind of thing,,.

"On the verge" = If you're very quick you can keep him lads!

"Attracted by the prospect of" - oooooh it must be real because of such a valid reason that he would want to go!!

"Wasps have offered Moore a three year contract, as opposed to the two year deal Leinster have offered him" - so maybe if Leinster offer him three years he might stay??? Now that Leinster know this they can offer that!

I suspect Gerry has a template article and fills in the blanks with the various agents over a pint..."how about the Dai Young angle? Would that be believable?". Lets just think about that b*%&!cks for a second. Dai Young...the famous Dai Young...who won the last of his whopping 14 caps in 1996 when Marty was 4 or 5 years old :lol:

All of this doesn't mean he stays btw, Leinster need to pony up (that's a Thornleyism isn't it?) but that article does nothing but convince me that Moore just wants Leinster to make another offer.

EDIT: that would have been a great post if I hadn't totally f%~ked up my reading of his wiki page. I'll leave in my error for the craic though :lol:

Also the point still stands that Marty is too young to care about being coached by Dai Young!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Moore was talking to a French side before his last contract. Telling he doesn't go to Munster or one of the other Irish sides first given they can't compete with each other.

Would be a blow if it did happen, I'll wait before panicking!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Not happening. It's got to be his agent planting some feelers in the media so the IRFU will pay. As of next year he will be the primary TH in Ireland and Leinster and he knows it. Furlong is still at the mid stages of development and Ross and white are finished at the end of this season or at the very least winding down. Nucifora came out and said players abroad are at a disadvantage. Moore isn't an idiot. Wasps can't offer him much more than IRFU can money wise and working with Dai Young is not enough of a pull for 3 seasons. That sentence actually reads like a joke to me. I imagine his agent giggling as he wrote that in his email to the times.
Remember when BOD was "guaranteed to be going to Biarritz" in the mid 2000's? Yeah this seems the same.
The IRFU ain't going to let their front liners leave so easily after the Sexton fiasco. If Leinster are only offering him 2 years. Offer him a 3 year central. They did that for SOB. job done
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate that it was Gerry Thornley that penned this. He has as much insider info as George Hook does. He is nothing but a spoofer who piggy backs on other peoples leads. The last "exclusive" he did was the lengths of Irish players contracts which were either 1) public knowledge already or 2) a random year between now and 2 years from now with a 33% chance of getting it right as no one is given more than 3 year deals bar sexton (see point 1)
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

ChrisUppy wrote:WTF does David Nucifora actually do?

I think Marty is making a mistake here. Jack Mc and Healy have shown that two props can get plenty of game time for us. And with Ross gone in a year or so what does that leave us with at TH? Are we going to have to recruit?
His main job is to stop the provinces signing decent players.
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Not happening. It's got to be his agent planting some feelers in the media so the IRFU will pay. As of next year he will be the primary TH in Ireland and Leinster and he knows it. Furlong is still at the mid stages of development and Ross and white are finished at the end of this season or at the very least winding down. Nucifora came out and said players abroad are at a disadvantage. Moore isn't an idiot. Wasps can't offer him much more than IRFU can money wise and working with Dai Young is not enough of a pull for 3 seasons. That sentence actually reads like a joke to me. I imagine his agent giggling as he wrote that in his email to the times.
Remember when BOD was "guaranteed to be going to Biarritz" in the mid 2000's? Yeah this seems the same.
The IRFU ain't going to let their front liners leave so easily after the Sexton fiasco. If Leinster are only offering him 2 years. Offer him a 3 year central. They did that for SOB. job done
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate that it was Gerry Thornley that penned this. He has as much insider info as George Hook does. He is nothing but a spoofer who piggy backs on other peoples leads. The last "exclusive" he did was the lengths of Irish players contracts which were either 1) public knowledge already or 2) a random year between now and 2 years from now with a 33% chance of getting it right as no one is given more than 3 year deals bar sexton (see point 1)
Not sure about that. Gerry's tone is that Moore is pretty much gone, and gone for 3 years too.

I'm a big fan of Moore so I hope he stays.

Hopefully Leinster can come back to him with a better offer before he actually signs for Wasps.

Moore has form though around contract negotiations. His agent made it very public that Castres offered him a deal during his last negotiations.

Don't like Gerry's tone though, and he seems to have the inside track. Very disappointing if it comes to pass.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

cwebber82 wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:Not happening. It's got to be his agent planting some feelers in the media so the IRFU will pay. As of next year he will be the primary TH in Ireland and Leinster and he knows it. Furlong is still at the mid stages of development and Ross and white are finished at the end of this season or at the very least winding down. Nucifora came out and said players abroad are at a disadvantage. Moore isn't an idiot. Wasps can't offer him much more than IRFU can money wise and working with Dai Young is not enough of a pull for 3 seasons. That sentence actually reads like a joke to me. I imagine his agent giggling as he wrote that in his email to the times.
Not sure about that. Gerry's tone is that Moore is pretty much gone, and gone for 3 years too.

I'm a big fan of Moore so I hope he stays.

Hopefully Leinster can come back to him with a better offer before he actually signs for Wasps.

Moore has form though around contract negotiations. His agent made it very public that Castres offered him a deal during his last negotiations.

Don't like Gerry's tone though, and he seems to have the inside track. Very disappointing if it comes to pass.
Check out GTs tone in this one:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/s ... ce=dlvr.it

Sound familiar?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

If this happens it's a disaster.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Awful news if true.
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

Speculation at the mo as everybody says, however a couple of points;

- TH is a unique spot and so vital with so few contenders that a foreign move would have zero impact on intl selection whatsoever
- TH is also a "big money" slot and if Teo is worth 500k Moore you would assume is worth more
- Moore seems smart in these discussions, having only signed 1 year gigs to ensure his development is reflected in upward negotiations regularly (and fair play 100% on that)
- I would have him as our main man even now as Ross crests 36, he does so much in the loose and for menus ahead of furlong so his loss would be a kick in the stones.
- A Ross to any of Leinater scrum coach, or 1 yr deal at either of Mun or Con (2 to sweeten the pot) with Moore and Furling on 3 yr, good money deals as Ireland's foreseeable long term team is such a no brainer that you would hope and assume Nucifora is all over it like a rash
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

This.
Madigan gone to France when Munster are screaming for a 10, now Moore off to England (maybe) when Munster are screaming for a TH! Obviously I'd much rather they stay with Leinster but if they have to go..... go to another Irish team FFS!
Has the Munster option even been mentioned to Madigan and Moore by Nucifora?
Is Limerick the problem?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Would have hoped that Moore and Furlong would have had their contracts sorted for the mid/long term before they spoke with Ross. I would drop Ross in a heartbeat to keep Moore. Ross might give you one more year Moore gives you 10. Also why mess with 2 year contracts for key players. 3 should be the min.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

This would be a right kick in the balls if it comes to pass. He's not a player we can afford to lose.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

blockhead wrote:

This.
Madigan gone to France when Munster are screaming for a 10, now Moore off to England (maybe) when Munster are screaming for a TH! Obviously I'd much rather they stay with Leinster but if they have to go..... go to another Irish team FFS!
Has the Munster option even been mentioned to Madigan and Moore by Nucifora?
Is Limerick the problem?
Why in their right mind would any ambitious player, looking to either improve their career or income, move from Leinster to Munster?
If you think about it for 10 seconds, there is no logic behind it. The whole talk about Madigan was nonsense and I'd imagine there's even less of chance it would be relevant for Moore, who will be Ireland's starting tighthead in this 6 Nations.

On that note, Moore will be Ireland's starting tighthead from February on (Ross's injury has made that highly likely). As noted above, tighthead is one of the most crucial positions on a rugby pitch and is usually either the highest remunerated or close to it in the established professional leagues (look at the Top14).
The IRFU losing Moore would not quite be on the level of it losing Sexton but it would be a huge loss.
That, plus Thornley's long history of flying kites for his agent mates, makes me think this is far from a done deal.
It would be very bad news for Leinster, so maybe I am just letting hope cloud my judgement but I don't think so.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Marty, we were thinking a couple of years in Munster would be a good career move.
David; in case you haven't heard the rumours, Wasps want to sign me.
Ok Marty, I get the message, you don't want to go to Munster.
Mr Nucifora, I appreciate your understanding.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

What would make me worried is that, as someone mentioned above, his last contract(s) seem to have been only very short extensions and if this was by his own volition (rather then just Leinster only offering short contracts) it would indicate that he always had in mind to spread his wings and is not just looking for a longer contract. Hope I'm wrong :(