Leinster Schools SC

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster Schools SC

Post by neiliog93 »

I watched the Blackrock-Castleknock game today. Bit of a massacre (53-8) which is a pity. Castleknock are Vinnie Murray finalists though and often beat the 'Big Six' so they're obviously a decent side. They had a guy sent off half way through the second half for a horrible clothesline tackle (not mentioned in the IT report).

For 'Rock, the best player was no.14, Patterson. Not particularly big but very fast, great step, and deceptively powerful. Went on several runs where he bounced off forwards and beat 3,4,5 tacklers. Captain Dorris at 8 was very powerful in contact, as was no.6 Ryan. Mullin at 12 (son of Brendan) was also outstanding going forward. Lastly I'd single out fullback and goalkicker McGowan. Did well under the high balls, got nearly all of the kicks at goal in difficult conditions and was very pacey and threatening counter-attacking/coming into the line. Dean (son of Paul) at 10 was good but didn't stand out as much as the other guys I mentioned.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

goreyguy wrote:Some big locks playing schools rugby, the following are above 6'5
Charlie Ryan(Blackrock) - Leinster u18, possibly u17
Jack Dunne(Michaels) - Leinster u18
Oisin Dowling(Michaels) - Leinster u19
Aaron Browne(Roscrea) - Leinster u18
Fineen Wycherly(Roscrea) - Munster u19
Lloyd Stephens(Kilkenny) - Leinster u17
Anu Awonusi(Kilkenny) - Leinster u19
Yeah from looking at Charlie Ryan today I'd say he's around 6'6".
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

neiliog93 wrote:I watched the Blackrock-Castleknock game today. Bit of a massacre (53-8) which is a pity. Castleknock are Vinnie Murray finalists though and often beat the 'Big Six' so they're obviously a decent side. They had a guy sent off half way through the second half for a horrible clothesline tackle (not mentioned in the IT report).

For 'Rock, the best player was no.14, Patterson. Not particularly big but very fast, great step, and deceptively powerful. Went on several runs where he bounced off forwards and beat 3,4,5 tacklers. Captain Dorris at 8 was very powerful in contact, as was no.6 Ryan. Mullin at 12 (son of Brendan) was also outstanding going forward. Lastly I'd single out fullback and goalkicker McGowan. Did well under the high balls, got nearly all of the kicks at goal in difficult conditions and was very pacey and threatening counter-attacking/coming into the line. Dean (son of Paul) at 10 was good but didn't stand out as much as the other guys I mentioned.
Patterson played on the wing was the leinster u18 scrumhalf.. played scrumhalf for Rock last year too.. not sure why he isn't at scrumhalf for Rock.
Assume your talking about Charlie Ryan who played 5 not 6.

Rock were missing ireland 18's Andrew Murphy(backrow) & Tommy O'Brien(centre)
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

neiliog93 wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Some big locks playing schools rugby, the following are above 6'5
Charlie Ryan(Blackrock) - Leinster u18, possibly u17
Jack Dunne(Michaels) - Leinster u18
Oisin Dowling(Michaels) - Leinster u19
Aaron Browne(Roscrea) - Leinster u18
Fineen Wycherly(Roscrea) - Munster u19
Lloyd Stephens(Kilkenny) - Leinster u17
Anu Awonusi(Kilkenny) - Leinster u19
Yeah from looking at Charlie Ryan today I'd say he's around 6'6".
Still only 16 too apparently.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wonder if Charlie Ryan is related to James? Rock and Michael's are less than five minutes away from each other, can't be that many Ryans in that vicinity who are that height.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Possibly. But Ryan is the 4th most common surname in Ireland behind Murphy, Kelly and Byrne.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm thinking that they're cousins and related to the Cronin brothers.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I would imagine Patterson isn't at scrum-half because he's wasted there. The guy is absolutely electric on the wing. God help the other teams when they get the two Irish u-18 guys back. Castleknock as Vinnie Murray finalists would not be a bad team.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

neiliog93 wrote:I would imagine Patterson isn't at scrum-half because he's wasted there. The guy is absolutely electric on the wing. God help the other teams when they get the two Irish u-18 guys back. Castleknock as Vinnie Murray finalists would not be a bad team.
In relation to the back row selection, everyone was fit and available for selection for this game. Caelan Doris (8 and captain), Johnny Fairley(7) and Richard Dunne (6) were selected with Hugo Burke covering off the bench. In the backs Tommy O'Brien is on the road to recovery from a bad injury.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

El Diablo wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:I would imagine Patterson isn't at scrum-half because he's wasted there. The guy is absolutely electric on the wing. God help the other teams when they get the two Irish u-18 guys back. Castleknock as Vinnie Murray finalists would not be a bad team.
In relation to the back row selection, everyone was fit and available for selection for this game. Caelan Doris (8 and captain), Johnny Fairley(7) and Richard Dunne (6) were selected with Hugo Burke covering off the bench. In the backs Tommy O'Brien is on the road to recovery from a bad injury.
Ok
Last edited by goreyguy on February 3rd, 2016, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Tommy O'Brien won't be back from what I heard.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Everyone in the backrow was fit for selection.
Last edited by El Diablo on February 3rd, 2016, 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Rock Belvo should be some match.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

goreyguy wrote:Rock Belvo should be some match.
Belvo wont be lacking in motivation; Rock have beaten them in the Junior Cups of 2013, 14 & 15 so I would say all of the Belvo team have suffered Cup defeat at the hands of these Rock guys. They must hate the sight of those Blue & White shirts. Also many of the Belvo team will have the SC final defeat to Roscrea last year to motivate them as well. They will come out all guns blazing. It wont be pretty but it will be intense. Cant wait.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Rock were never really tested vs Castleknock so will be interesting. I know Rock are the favourites and are a better team than Belvo, but they did lose to Belvo in pre-season.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

neiliog93 wrote:Rock were never really tested vs Castleknock so will be interesting. I know Rock are the favourites and are a better team than Belvo, but they did lose to Belvo in pre-season.
Michaels were undefeated last year in preseason.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

goreyguy wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Rock were never really tested vs Castleknock so will be interesting. I know Rock are the favourites and are a better team than Belvo, but they did lose to Belvo in pre-season.
Michaels were undefeated last year in preseason.
It was 2 tries to 1 to Blackrock in the pre-season game but Conor Jennings for Belvo nailed every penalty that Rock coughed up. And that was in a howling gale. Rock will have to watch their discipline when under pressure otherwise they will be punished.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ok, so Rock are certainly justified favourites in that case. Is it just me or are Belvo and Terenure teams nearly always very forward-orientated and not as creative as Rock, Michael's, Clongowes etc?
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Jack Kelly was excellent yesterday for Michaels.. played 12/13 last season and fullback this.. could end up anywhere from 11 to 15.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

goreyguy wrote:Jack Kelly was excellent yesterday for Michaels.. played 12/13 last season and fullback this.. could end up anywhere from 11 to 15.
Michaels have certainly improved since before Christmas. They will be hoping Belvo and Rock knock lumps out of each other today. The sun is out. It should make for a great game.