Leinster Schools SC

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster Schools SC

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Harry Byrne was very impressive in all respects when I saw him and even though it's not the most important thing for an outhalf, the thing that really stood out was how big he was. Seems like he's more suited to putting on weight than his brother.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

goreyguy wrote:Roscrea used there big pack to beat Clongowes anyway, although Clongowes made it a lot closer than I thought.. good set of backs there.

Michaels Belvo 2moro, seems like Harry Byrne(younger brother of Ross and Leinster u18 outhalf) is out which is a big blow for them. Belvo heavy favourites and a rematch of last years final looks likely.
Byrne will be a big loss to Michael's advantage Belvo. Their cup to loose now I would think
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Harry Byrne was very impressive in all respects when I saw him and even though it's not the most important thing for an outhalf, the thing that really stood out was how big he was. Seems like he's more suited to putting on weight than his brother.
Really? Ross is huge for an outhalf.

Heard that Harry is under-18 again next year but not sure if it's true or not.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He is big but Harry just looked bulkier to me, filled his frame better.It wasn't a comment about saying that Ross is skinny or anything, just that Harry is particularly big. That whole Michael's team was really, Kelly and the number 6 almost looked more like pro players than schoolboys.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He is big but Harry just looked bulkier to me, filled his frame better.It wasn't a comment about saying that Ross is skinny or anything, just that Harry is particularly big. That whole Michael's team was really, Kelly and the number 6 almost looked more like pro players than schoolboys.
Ronan Kelleher I'd add to that list too, there loosehead but likely a hooker for Ireland u18.

Agreed although Dowling will have a lot of weight to put on once he joins the sub-academy.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dave Cahill wrote:They have an absolutely fantastic backline
And again this week
I have Bumbleflex
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Dave Cahill wrote:
And again this week
If they can break even with Roscrea's pack then they can do some serious damage with that backline.
That new pitch in Donnybrook really does help a team that tries to run the ball, unlike the sandlot it once was at
this time of year.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

serious game.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

From Setanta's twitter feed it looked like another cracker today 36-22 to Belvo. Michaels going 22-3 down ang getting it twice back to a 7 point game before a late Belvo try took them out of reach.

Must say these 50+ point games are real advertisements for all Rugby been played on 4G pitches (a change from the days of a 6-3 thriller played in a sand pit!)
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Threw two intercept tries in the last 10 minutes..
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Belvo well worth their win, they looked a far better organised team with a great defence as well
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Belvo better team.. Michael's better individuals.
wise7
Beginner

Post by wise7 »

Harry Byrne still only 16
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

wise7 wrote:Harry Byrne still only 16
Heard that alright, wasn't sure if it was true.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dave Cahill wrote:
And again this week

And again, again. Wonderful performance from Belvo today to win so convincingly
I have Bumbleflex
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

So much skill in that team. Unreal stuff.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Best back three I've seen in the cup since Luke Fitz, Morris, and Artemiev. The way they worked together all over the pitch and complemented each other was extraordinary. I've no idea what he's like as a scrumhalf so can't comment on his skills for that, but the fullback's biggest strengths were hitting the line and running in open space, and his kicking from hand, two qualities that are fairly irrelevant for a scrumhalf. Seriously talented though. Lots of good players and they were clearly well drilled, but that unit stood out.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The performance of both teams in that game, both individual and unit skills, was so far ahead of the equivalent performances by Irish U.20's on Friday night that IRFU should seriously question their structures.

If Nucifora wants to bring about real development change in underage rugby, he should consider offering either of those coaches a full-time coaching role, or preferably both of them.

Although Belvo were winners by a distance, both teams were very were drilled. Yes, it takes huge time and commitment within the school year, but the fact is it produces an end product which is both effective and attractive. This is the model that Irish rugby should mimic and it doesn't need any dramatic alteration, just a recognition that it isn't new.

Both of these schools have the benefit of input from Leinster rugby. Players from both schools have been in Leinster Development Squads (some have also been in Connacht Squads). Yes, both schools have put rugby success as a high priority and presumably pay their coaches and other staff for their roles. But the key point is that they produce what they're trying to acheive. Certainly only one school can win, but over two years, both have been in two finals and shared the spoils.

Well done both schools, both squads and both sets of Coaches. Job done and in some style.

Irish rugby bosses, wake up and examine the evidence.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

The vast majority of the Roscrea side are with Connacht underage. Two or three with Leinster/Munster.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

goreyguy wrote:The vast majority of the Roscrea side are with Connacht underage. Two or three with Leinster/Munster.
Are they? At least 5/6 are from Munster. Not all involved provincially. Considering the lack of boarding schools in Connacht. Roscrea got quite a few who otherwise would be in Garbally so its not really an issue.