Box Sets... The Next One ???

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by blockhead »

Gone onto the 5th season of Boardwalk Empire. Its very good but I do have an awful craving for whiskey these days.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Donny B. wrote:New X-Files is so bad that it's almost a parody of itself.
Pretty poor showing alright.
Seems like the script writers do not want to see another season - or is that just a conspiracy theory?

I started watching 'Narcos' over the weekend - enjoyed it so far.

Also looked at the first episode of 'Making a murder' -Meh, heavy on police corruption and working class middle america - seems likely to be a slow plod. Is it worth perseverance?
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Donny B. wrote:New X-Files is so bad that it's almost a parody of itself.
It's worse than that. It's made me question why I watched and enjoyed the show in the first place. There's a study that showed people who believe Diana is still alive are more likely to also believe she was killed by MI6. The first show reminded me of that.
Show Spoiler:
A secret cabal of elites who control governments around the world have a secret plan to.........take over and control the world!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I thought the X-Files was quite sad as it made explicit the mental illness that Mulder suffered and how it destroyed his life, his relationships, career etc. Scully was worried and playing along with him while he had a manic interlude, anything you see could be from his perspective and not real.

Given how common conspiracy theory stuff is on the interwebs these years it seemed quite timely.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Well HBO's big new show Vinyl sucks ass.

Cliched, poorly written, overacted but mainly just really, really boring.

You'd expect better from Terrence Winter and Scorcese.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

And Mickey Jagger involved also. You think they could have got better material out of a page of his diary at random. I enjoyed the new york dolls scene (mick lookalike david johansen etc.). But couldn't make it much further. They were sticking bits of 1976 into 1973 and using phrases that are from the last 10 years. (that happens so much in tv)
Sad that it only took 20 minutes to use up all the passes I gave it because I really wanted it to be good. :(
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:And Mickey Jagger involved also. You think they could have got better material out of a page of his diary at random. I enjoyed the new york dolls scene (mick lookalike david johansen etc.). But couldn't make it much further. They were sticking bits of 1976 into 1973 and using phrases that are from the last 10 years. (that happens so much in tv)
Sad that it only took 20 minutes to use up all the passes I gave it because I really wanted it to be good. :(
When I first heard about it, I thought "sure-fire winner". Then I saw some trailers and I was more "uh-oh, but give it a chance". But with Mick Jagger involved we can't be too surprised it's terrible as he's never been a friend to the screen. Anything he's ever acted in or produced has generally been dire. Some may mention "Performance" but I thought that was a pretentious load of shite.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

You are now on my enemy list. He isn't great in performance it's true (though I used to have the soundtrack and it had moments) but it was a nutty film. A grim English noir gangster every bit as gritty and seedy as Get Carter, but with an added psychedelic subplot and a classic cinema double switch.

Back at then he seemed to be the artistically daring one in the stones. He did soundtracks for Kenneth Anger around then too with earlyish synths. Sure Anger is pretentious, but he's also great fun and you have got to read Hollywood Babylon if American cinema history, in a kind of LA confidential way, is of interest to you.

His turn as Ned Kelly is rightly derided as the worst Irish accent ever. Mind you, is it any worse than Caine's Newcastle accent in Get Carter?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

fourthirtythree wrote:You are now on my enemy list.
To the death then!!! :D
fourthirtythree wrote: He isn't great in performance it's true (though I used to have the soundtrack and it had moments) but it was a nutty film. A grim English noir gangster every bit as gritty and seedy as Get Carter, but with an added psychedelic subplot and a classic cinema double switch.

Back at then he seemed to be the artistically daring one in the stones. He did soundtracks for Kenneth Anger around then too with earlyish synths. Sure Anger is pretentious, but he's also great fun and you have got to read Hollywood Babylon if American cinema history, in a kind of LA confidential way, is of interest to you. ke

His turn as Ned Kelly is rightly derided as the worst Irish accent ever. Mind you, is it any worse than Caine's Newcastle accent in Get Carter?
If this is a defence of Jagger, it's a fairly weak one. For the prosecution, I also present Freejack, Bent and Enigma, which he produced. Great rock star and song writer no doubt but keep him away from TV or movies.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I thought I was damning him with faint praise. But he isn't the star of that movie, James Fox was. And he was fantastic. Jagger just hammed it up as himself.

His music was the only part I was praising I thought.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

fourthirtythree wrote:I thought I was damning him with faint praise. But he isn't the star of that movie, James Fox was. And he was fantastic. Jagger just hammed it up as himself.

His music was the only part I was praising I thought.
Fox was actually good to be fair, but I still thought the overall film was shite.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Preacher proving quite entertaining so far
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:Preacher proving quite entertaining so far
Where is that on? Cassidy looked dreadful in the promo.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:
The Internet
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote:
Watched the fourth episode last night, his accent has settled down a lot. Quite a way from nicking from Bettabuys all the same
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
The Internet
How does that work?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Watched the first 2 episodes last night. It's okay, bit of a slow burner.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Peg Leg wrote:
TerenureJim wrote: The Internet
How does that work?
Get Ad-block plus extension for your browser (defo available for Chrome and Firefox). Google putlocker.is or solarmovie.ph (neither of these are links so are legal AFAIK) Go from there.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Can't believe Penny Dreadful has stopped after just three seasons.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Billions is interesting enough. 4 or 5 episodes in and its setting itself up nicely.

Edit: and never really went anywhere. All a bit meh.
Last edited by Logorrhea on November 17th, 2016, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.