Munster 2016-2017

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Munster 2016-2017

Post by munster#1 »

Munster Rugby can today confirm the coaching staff that will join Director of Rugby Rassie Erasmus and Head Coach Anthony Foley at the start of season 2016/17.

Jacques Nienaber will join the province as Defence Coach on a three year contract, while Jerry Flannery extends his role of Scrum Coach for a further year and former Munster and Ireland player Felix Jones assumes a technical coaching role on a one year deal.

After indicating his intention to return to the private sector earlier this season, Brian Walsh, who held the role of Assistant Coach for the past two seasons, has completed his time with the province, joining previously confirmed departees Ian Costello and Mick O'Driscoll.

Although Erasmus will be accountable for team performance and all on-field coaching, his primary coaching role will see him take charge of attack while Head Coach Anthony Foley will assume responsibility for line-outs and the breakdown.

Nienaber previously held roles in physiotherapy and strength and conditioning with Currie Cup and Super Rugby sides Cheetahs and Cats respectively. Over a seven year period the incoming coach held defence roles with Western Province, Stormers, Junior Springboks, South African Schools and the Springboks. He is currently High Performance Manager with the SARU and will join the province on July 1st, subject to being granted a valid work permit.

Felix Jones, who was forced to retire from rugby last October following an honours laden career, returns to the fold in a technical coaching role with the primary focus on development of the team's attacking fundamental skills. The international fullback made 90 appearances, scoring 10 tries, and won a Magners League title in 2011. The Sandycove native represented Ireland at all levels, counting the 2007 U20s Grand Slam, the 2009 Churchill Cup and the 2015 6 Nations amongst international achievements. He is currently studying for a Masters in Sport, Exercise and Performance Psychology at the University of Limerick.

Acknowledging the outgoing coaches Munster Rugby CEO Garrett Fitzgerald said, "I would like to take this opportunity to thank our departing coaches for their hard work and commitment to Munster Rugby. In addition to reaching the Guinness PRO12 Final in 2015, each have been instrumental in developing exciting new talent for the province and we wish Brian, Ian and Mick all the best for the future."

On confirming the full coaching ticket Fitzgerald added, "We are delighted to finalise our coaching requirements for next season and look forward to welcoming Jacques and Felix to the set-up. Jacques is a highly rated and sought after coach who brings a wealth of experience with him after working across all levels of the game. We believe he will be a great addition to the coaching staff. While Felix, who had a hugely successful playing career with both Munster and Ireland, will provide invaluable technical know-how in aiding the development of our young squad."
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster 2016-2017

Post by munster#1 »

Personally I would have preferred an experienced backs coach, but that is as close to a top class coaching ticket as I would have hoped for.

Now let's hope we see a couple more players added to the squad.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

munster#1 wrote:Personally I would have preferred an experienced backs coach, but that is as close to a top class coaching ticket as I would have hoped for.

Now let's hope we see a couple more players added to the squad.
hopefully 1 or 2 players are signed for sure

I think theyre going to see how Jones gets on with a view to upgrading him to backs coach season after
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Jones must have seriously impressed Rassie. He's had a pretty rapid progression, I hope he does well.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Not_Today
Bookworm

Post by Not_Today »

domhnallj wrote:Jones must have seriously impressed Rassie. He's had a pretty rapid progression, I hope he does well.
Foley was already lining him up for a role before Rassie was appointed
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Not_Today wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Jones must have seriously impressed Rassie. He's had a pretty rapid progression, I hope he does well.
The rumoured roles were development officer, and skills coach, it appears to be Rassie's call to make him backs coach.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Except hes not titled backs coach, hes a skills coach
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lest there be any illusions, this reads like the sort of formal statement of clarification that a new Managing Director often requires from his Board of Directors, before he arrives to slash and burn (aka take office).

For the record, Axel is not Head Coach, Axel is not Forwards Coach, Axel is not Attack Coach.
AXEL IS COACH OF THE LINEOUT AND BREAKDOWN - OK, got that everybody.

Naturally, as with all the best timed corporate messages, this was ideally timed for optimum exposure:

~ The day before an away international - check;
~ The day before a JWC under 20 game against NZ- check;
~ A day when all full-time Irish rugby media are on holidays or at above games -check;
~ A day when national sports media are focussed on start of Euro 2016 -check;
~ Almost two months before Munster Committee next meet - check;
~ 3 days after the last player and staff depart on holidays - check;
~ Just 3 weeks before new Director of Rugby arrives - check;

Well that's alright then!
~ Issue Axel's Munster Rugby Obituary - check!

Expect an announcement about his next appointment before the end of October
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Titles are a bit funny right now. This could also suit Axel if things go badly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Not_Today wrote:
Felix was initially being recruited as the Provincial Talent Coach, not to the senior squad.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Racing, Glasgow, Leicester, Munster

cant see them topping the group but second (4 wins) is a very achievable target, not sure I see Munster getting enough bonus points to make it to knock out stages though
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

simonokeeffe wrote:Racing, Glasgow, Leicester, Munster

cant see them topping the group but second (4 wins) is a very achievable target, not sure I see Munster getting enough bonus points to make it to knock out stages though
Really? Cant see them winning away at either Racing or Leicester so that leaves Glasgow. Is that what you were thinking? Also winning at home against Racing is no certainty. I think its a pretty tough draw to be fair. Paying for their lack of form this year.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Yeah that's a tough draw for them.

Then again all but Pool 2 are tough draws. Its what the people want.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

offshorerules wrote:

Really? Cant see them winning away at either Racing or Leicester so that leaves Glasgow. Is that what you were thinking? Also winning at home against Racing is no certainty. I think its a pretty tough draw to be fair. Paying for their lack of form this year.
Yeah I think the new coaches will make a huge difference as will having their backrow from the start of the season. Still vulnerability to injuries in a lot of areas but they get a few Saturday tea time kick offs, some decent gates (Racing and Leicester are emminently marketable), then 4 wins is doable including Glasgow away

Not going to be a cake walk by any stretch of the imagination though
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

That's a dog of a group. Would not fancy any of those away games.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:

Conversely, not the same as it was, but dont think any of their opponents will be giddy about Thomond Park

Glasgow will miss Nakarawa horribly and have a problem at outhalf. Took a gander at Tigers squad and while theyre falling over front rowers and outhalves, theyre light on locks and centres.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

Conversely, not the same as it was, but dont think any of their opponents will be giddy about Thomond Park

Glasgow will miss Nakarawa horribly and have a problem at outhalf. Took a gander at Tigers squad and while theyre falling over front rowers and outhalves, theyre light on locks and centres.
Well, we can wave to him in his Racing colours :( :( . And we did beat them handsomely this year (when it was entirely irrelevant, obviously).

Can see all 4 taking lots of points off eachother.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Munster are signing 23 year old lock Jean Kleyn from the Stormers (think hes leaving after Super Rugby not Currie Cup).
Project eligible
Makes it look less likely Chisholm is coming back

Chapeau to Michael Corcoran on twitter, its included in list of Saffers leaving this season

@Kerm yeah I cant see a best runner up coming out of that pool
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Munster academy recruits interesting today. No word of Betts, Browne or kiernan.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Dog of a group, but win your home games (which is do-able) and you're not far away. It's hard to see anybody running away with it, or two qualifiers for sure. All 4 provinces will fancy their draws me thinks.