The Good Album Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Good Album Thread

Post by domhnallj »

Dave Cahill wrote:On Twitter at the weekend I described Clancy and Fitzgibbon as "the worlds worst electropop duo, and I've heard Blancmange". Neil Arthur (Blancmange) replied objecting to the comparison ( :lol: ) - which came a surprise - but was sound.

So not having actually listened to Blancmange since I was in my early teens, I decided to listen to their most recent album, 'Semi Detached', and damn me if it wasn't actually rather good. So that was me back in my box!
Did they do livin' on the ceiling?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Yup
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote:On Twitter at the weekend I described Clancy and Fitzgibbon as "the worlds worst electropop duo, and I've heard Blancmange". Neil Arthur (Blancmange) replied objecting to the comparison ( :lol: ) - which came a surprise - but was sound.

So not having actually listened to Blancmange since I was in my early teens, I decided to listen to their most recent album, 'Semi Detached', and damn me if it wasn't actually rather good. So that was me back in my box!
While you're there and have the time, just have a think about how Izzy Stradlin wrote At least every good Guns n Roses song, Slash is just a very capable guitarist. I'd muuuuch rather be the Izzy Stradlin than the slash of any rugby team. Kinda like I'd rather be the Jonny sexton, not the Simon Zebo. Substance over style my friend, substance over style.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

While you're there and have the time, just have a think about how Izzy Stradlin wrote At least every good Guns n Roses song, Slash is just a very capable guitarist. I'd muuuuch rather be the Izzy Stradlin than the slash of any rugby team. Kinda like I'd rather be the Jonny sexton, not the Simon Zebo. Substance over style my friend, substance over style.
I love Izzy, I think hes the best rhythm guitarist in the biz (without a bus pass) - and whatever about the songwriting, his dirty, seedy guitar sound defined for me the "G'N'R Sound".

I think you're being a bit stingy with the song writing credits though (perhaps channelling Izzys role model, Keef, there), I've always prefered Appetite (which was a very collegiate affair) to UYI personally, and whilst UYI is certainly much more an Izzy album than a Slash one, its also therefore much more his fault

And he wrote Patience. Thats one that goes either way.

But its like that sometimes with bands, sometimes the focus of attention isn't the driving force - after all, how many people are interested in seeing the Undertones without Fergal Sharkey, despite the fact that most of most of the songs were written by the O'Neills and they're still in the band
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Izzy Stradlin? No. That's a fosbury flop
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

I love Izzy, I think hes the best rhythm guitarist in the biz (without a bus pass) - and whatever about the songwriting, his dirty, seedy guitar sound defined for me the "G'N'R Sound".

I think you're being a bit stingy with the song writing credits though (perhaps channelling Izzys role model, Keef, there), I've always prefered Appetite (which was a very collegiate affair) to UYI personally, and whilst UYI is certainly much more an Izzy album than a Slash one, its also therefore much more his fault

And he wrote Patience. Thats one that goes either way.

But its like that sometimes with bands, sometimes the focus of attention isn't the driving force - after all, how many people are interested in seeing the Undertones without Fergal Sharkey, despite the fact that most of most of the songs were written by the O'Neills and they're still in the band
You couldn't just admit you used a bad analogy then? :D
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'm not sure what you're talking about!
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote:I'm not sure what you're talking about!
You are the Dave Cahill from bluestalk tv who used the analogy about every kid plaing rugby wants to be Slash not Izzy Stradlin right?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
You are the Dave Cahill from bluestalk tv who used the analogy about every kid plaing rugby wants to be Slash not Izzy Stradlin right?
Yep, but my point was that Izzy was as important as Slash.

Edit: funnily enough, Keef and his band are currently on Sky Arts
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Yep, but my point was that Izzy was as important as Slash.

Edit: funnily enough, Keef and his band are currently on Sky Arts
Point being that izzy was far far more important then Slash, that is unless you think zebo is important as sexton. And youre entitled to that view
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: Point being that izzy was far far more important then Slash in this persons opinion even though plenty of others will disagree wildly or agree in part and disagree in part, or wildy endorse this view, that is unless you think zebo is important as sexton. And youre entitled to that view
Fixed that for you.

People always want to rank peoples importance in bands and relate it to all sorts of stuff, the answer is, of course, none of the above - the Andy Fletcher principle applies - any great band is a gestalt.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote: Point being that izzy was far far more important then Slash in this persons opinion even though plenty of others will disagree wildly or agree in part and disagree in part, or wildy endorse this view, that is unless you think zebo is important as sexton. And youre entitled to that view
Fixed that for you.

People always want to rank peoples importance in bands and relate it to all sorts of stuff, the answer is, of course, none of the above - the Andy Fletcher principle applies - any great band is a gestalt.
wasnt broken
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Never a truer word.

In other news, Learning to Growl by Overhead, The Albatross is terrific. Irish band with some Sigur Ros- ish ingredients.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Some good albums from the last few months

The second album by The Gloaming, 2, is f%~king brilliant - it is the current state of the art in what could be incredibly inaccurately called 'Trad'. Its a genre redefining piece of work

Another superb Irish second album is Ephemera by Little Green Cars.

Swinging from the analogue to the digital and the new album, What Follows, from Dublin's sh!t Robot (Marcus Lambkin). If you listen to music on headphones in work, make sure your chair doesn't squeak as you will find yourself doing the office chair wiggle.

Finally, Love you to Death by Tegan and Sara - their move to pure pop from the indie side of the fence is now complete, but the songs are stronger than ever.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Also, if you're on Three Ireland, they're offering 6 months free Deezer premium - well worth a sniff it and see.
I have Bumbleflex
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

The new Suicidal Tendencies offering 'World Gone Mad' hit the racks last Friday. Unleash your inner Cyco - go on, you know you want to.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

A little late to this album, but that's just my age: Art Angels by Grimes is all kinds of amazing
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Hippo wrote:A little late to this album, but that's just my age: Art Angels by Grimes is all kinds of amazing
You're obviously not the Peter O'Sullivan I know!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Hippo wrote:A little late to this album, but that's just my age: Art Angels by Grimes is all kinds of amazing
Love that album (and all her other ones too)
I have Bumbleflex
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
You're obviously not the Peter O'Sullivan I know!!!
Ummm....and maybe I am :wink:
AKA Peter O'Sullivan