Anthony Foley RIP

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Lar
Mullet

Re: Anthony Foley RIP

Post by Lar »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/m ... 43987.html

Game confirmed as going ahead by MR. But if you look at where POM's head is at today it will be very difficult for them (and for Glasgow) on Saturday.
Four Stars
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

It will be hugely difficult for all concerned - and that's the challenge right there. I have no doubt that the Munster and Glasgow teams, coaching staff and fans will all do their damndest - including bish bash bosh on the park - to give Axel the send-off he deserves! Go n-éirí leo go léir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Would hate to be the ref in TP on Saturday - emotions will be high and not easily controlled.
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

Lar wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/m ... 43987.html

Game confirmed as going ahead by MR. But if you look at where POM's head is at today it will be very difficult for them (and for Glasgow) on Saturday.
Are the pictures and video really necessary? It feels wrong to publish pics and video of 2 clearly upset men.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

He's making his final journey home at the moment: https://www.flightradar24.com/RYR8/b5b7b04

Parking my cynical side, I think it's a really nice gesture from Ryanair to use FR008/RYR8 as the handle.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

The closest parallel to this I can think of is when Dermot Earley died in 2010. His son lined out for Kildare in a championship match 4 hours after the funeral. Actually the whole panel was at the funeral as he was a former Kildare manager and club-mate of the Sarsfields lads

Dermot Jr said it felt like the best way to pay tribute to him.

But it's a less structured game. God knows how the Munster players will focus on any video work or drills this week.

Best of luck to them, it's a tragedy that they have to get through this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

The flight number was a lovely gesture alright.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Check out the vid; it's powerful: Shannon RFC greet the remains of their most famous son earlier this evening:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/1019 ... e-thomond/
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Powerful stuff, thx RC
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Can't believe the game is going ahead on Saturday.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Nor can I
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I can. It's gonna be a celebration of Anthony Foley's life and that which defined him - rugby! It will be a huge occasion - in part it already is - and cathartic for all involved. The Irish are good at funerals. Munster - with a little help from Glasgow and the European stage - are gonna make themselves, Irish rugby and Axel, sa Saol Eile, massively proud!!!!! Digging deep will be required - and delivered!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

riocard911 wrote:Check out the vid; it's powerful: Shannon RFC greet the remains of their most famous son earlier this evening:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/1019 ... e-thomond/
Jesus, that was emotional to watch. No greater a testament for those of us who never met the man. Very touching.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I rarely normally watch Munster games, so to watch Saturday's one somehow feels a bit voyeuristic and wrong. But on the other hand it feels like the right thing to do in the circumstances. Show some solidarity to a fellow province in pain.

Still shocked it's going ahead though.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Munster would have to play that game at some stage or withdraw from the competition. And it wouldn't be any easier on them playing it at a later date. The result of the match is hardly important at this point anyway. It will be a surreal spectacle on Saturday, the emotion is going to be very high but I hope they do Anthony proud and put in a great display.
Looking at the press con yesterday with POM and Erasmus was very difficult I must admit.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

riocard911 wrote:I can. It's gonna be a celebration of Anthony Foley's life and that which defined him - rugby! It will be a huge occasion - in part it already is - and cathartic for all involved. The Irish are good at funerals. Munster - with a little help from Glasgow and the European stage - are gonna make themselves, Irish rugby and Axel, sa Saol Eile, massively proud!!!!! Digging deep will be required - and delivered!!!!!

Good post. I hope you're right. It's a huge game for this bunch of players under the circumstances.
It's going to be a very emotional game for all involved. Both players and the fans in attendance.
I have absolutely no doubt that they will do Anthony proud.
In a way I don't think the result is that important but if they can win this game I'd put it up there with any win they have ever achieved.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

riocard911 wrote:I can. It's gonna be a celebration of Anthony Foley's life and that which defined him - rugby! It will be a huge occasion - in part it already is - and cathartic for all involved. The Irish are good at funerals. Munster - with a little help from Glasgow and the European stage - are gonna make themselves, Irish rugby and Axel, sa Saol Eile, massively proud!!!!! Digging deep will be required - and delivered!!!!!
So much this! Usually I cheer against Munster a bit of stupid schadenfreude on my behalf, really it's because they're our closet rivals, our cousins always nipping at our heels and vice versa petty silliness.Then this happens and the rivalry is revealed to be so trivial. This Saturday I know our cousins in red will Stand Up and Fight for Axel, an Irish and Munster legend. Alone you stand no longer
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

just saw in IT that Declan Kidney's wife died last week too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
RnR
Knowledgeable

Post by RnR »