Shane Horgan

Re: Isa Nacewa officially named club captain 2016/2017

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

One thing about Graham Henry is he's always picked good captains
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

5 tries and 76pts so far this season. Leading by example!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Outstanding season so far. The Sky commentators made the point that while he may have lost a bit of pace his kicking, general skillset and reading of the game seem to get better and better with age. I wonder will he go on another year (he would be 35).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

neiliog93 wrote:Outstanding season so far. The Sky commentators made the point that while he may have lost a bit of pace his kicking, general skillset and reading of the game seem to get better and better with age. I wonder will he go on another year (he would be 35).
Will Leinster be allowed to extend his contract?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

neiliog93 wrote:Outstanding season so far. The Sky commentators made the point that while he may have lost a bit of pace his kicking, general skillset and reading of the game seem to get better and better with age. I wonder will he go on another year (he would be 35).
I think that the Sky guys were actually saying that he had always lacked a bit of pace that would have placed him with "the greats". I personally think that is all 'me hoop', but essentially they were complimentary on his longevity and enduring class. One more year...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Yeah if that's what they meant it's nonsense, in his first stay here he was seriously quick. Maybe not 'elite' speed (George North, Clerc, Howlett at his peak etc) but nonetheless faster than any Irish winger of the same period.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

nc6000 wrote:
Why not? He's a player that slots into anywhere in the back line, and I do mean anywhere, pushes those around him to step up a level if they're younger and to not rest on laurels if they're senior. He's always available, appears to love it here, the crowd and the management seem to love him and he's got coaching potential to stay in Ireland and within the IRFU. He's practically the perfect NIQ and has almost always been.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Is his family with him again this time? He moved home for family reasons so if theyre not here he wont stay to coach (would like him to though)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

simonokeeffe wrote:Is his family with him again this time? He moved home for family reasons so if theyre not here he wont stay to coach (would like him to though)
I thought his family were with him last time too. I think when he was interviewed about coming back he said his daughters viewed Ireland as home and they wanted to come back.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He won't get another playing contract - Nucifora won't allow it especially after the Pienaar farrago
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jimbobjoe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Is his family with him again this time? He moved home for family reasons so if theyre not here he wont stay to coach (would like him to though)
I thought his family were with him last time too. I think when he was interviewed about coming back he said his daughters viewed Ireland as home and they wanted to come back.

IIRC his wife really missed home/family support network due to having a small kids
If theyre all here and happy would love him to stay as a coach, he can teach us to counterattack in the back 3 again :D
Dave Cahill wrote:He won't get another playing contract - Nucifora won't allow it especially after the Pienaar farrago
I dunno dave, think we may get bizarre situation of Kirchner going and we're not allowed an NIQ back 3, even a project, but Isa gets another year
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:He won't get another playing contract - Nucifora won't allow it especially after the Pienaar farrago
The big difference though is that we're producing outside backs for Ireland (or at least we have been), and giving Irish guys a lot of gametime. Ulster haven't produced a 9 for a decade.
Unless you count Small Paul.

Which I don't.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I would be delighted to see Isa get another year because it would mean that we have another year of Isa and Nucifora would get or had gotten the bullet. Only one of them can stay now. With Pienaar's and Hamilton's blood in the water there are no other options.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

As it stands the only NIQ back 3 player with a contract for next season amongst the 4 provinces is Piutau
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

And how many NIQ scrum half's with a contract for next season are there?
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:And how many NIQ scrum half's with a contract for next season are there?
Just the one, but theres 3 back 3 players in a team v one 9

Youd imagine Connacht would get one/retain one especially with Leader looking like retiring and Poolmans injury troubles but by no means certain
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

TerenureJim wrote:
nc6000 wrote:
Why not? He's a player that slots into anywhere in the back line, and I do mean anywhere, pushes those around him to step up a level if they're younger and to not rest on laurels if they're senior. He's always available, appears to love it here, the crowd and the management seem to love him and he's got coaching potential to stay in Ireland and within the IRFU. He's practically the perfect NIQ and has almost always been.

Because the IRFU\Nucifora can veto it just like what recently happened with Pienaar in Ulster.

Isa is already on his 2nd if not 3rd contract so it's unlikely he will be given another one.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I think it would be reasonable to allow Nacewa another year if Triggs and Kirchner depart
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:And how many NIQ scrum half's with a contract for next season are there?
Just the one, but theres 3 back 3 players in a team v one 9

Youd imagine Connacht would get one/retain one especially with Leader looking like retiring and Poolmans injury troubles but by no means certain
This. An NIQ utility back (even if just for the back 3) takes up 8% of the places available to Ireland. An NIQ 9 takes up 25%. Big difference there. With Leinster contributing 2 back 3 players to the Irish squad compared to Ulster contributing no 9s we've another big difference there. The 2 things simply aren't the same at all, regardless of how much some people out there try to equate the 2.

And for as much grief as Nucifora gets I really don't think he's that bad at all. If Leinster don't extend Kirchner and give regular game time to Rob, Dave and at least 1 of the Academy lads then DN and the IRFU should be happy. If we do that there actually won't be a single position on the park that Leinster are not contributing at least 1 player (if not more) to Ireland. And I'd hope the IRFU would be more than happy to tell us we can do what we want re Isa.