Lions Squad 2017

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Lions Squad 2017

Post by backrower8 »

Lions Squad...(not sure of total numbers allowed but I am going with 37)

1 - McGrath, Mako (plays both sides), Healy
2 - Hartley, Best, George
3 - Furlong, Cole, Nel
2nd Row - AWJ, Itoje (&6), Kruis, Henderson (&6), Toner (the X-factor...7ft tall went well vs ABs & also S.Africa's best EE/LdeJ/PdT)
6 - Stander
7 - Warburton, SOB (&6&8), Tipuric
8 - Vunipola, Faleteau
9 - Murray, Webb, Care
10 - Sexton, Farrell (&12), Biggar
11 - North, Zebo (&15)
12 - Henshaw (&13&15), Roberts, S Williams (&13)
13 - Davies, Joseph (&14)
14 - Watson (&15), Seymour
15 - Hogg (&10), Payne (&13)

13 Irish; 11 English; 10 Welsh; 3 Scots

Captaincy candidates: Hartley, Best, AWJ, Sam, Murray...probably Hartley but might Murray be a 'captaincy bolter' as the most likely test starter and one of 26 Celts?
Last edited by backrower8 on November 8th, 2016, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backrower8
Mullet

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Post by backrower8 »

Matchday 23

McGrath Hartley Furlong
AWJ Toner (that height is irresistable...isn't it?)
Itoje Vunipola Warburton

Murray Sexton

North Henshaw Davies Watson

Hogg

Subs: Best, Healy, Mako (TH...long shot), Henderson (4,5,6), SOB/Stander (6,7,8), Webb, Farrell (10&12), Zebo (11, 14, 15)

Healy and Mako are both very dynamic players as are Henderson and O'Brien

I obviously have my green and blue goggles on!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Does Mako Vunipola play both positions?? Since when??
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I agree with a lot of that squad. Few changes I would make would be : Faletau at 6, Itoje in the second row ahead of Toner. Joseph at 13 and Payne on the bench ahead of Zebo. I would also prefer a regular tight head on the bench ahead of Mako. Therefore starting Cole and Furlong to finish!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I'll watch the Lions tour but my only interest really is how many Irish players make the squad and matchday 23. Wouldn't be disappointed with a series loss, even a 3-0 loss.

There's talk now that Schmidt may be asked to join their coaching team. I really hope he doesn't. He mentioned he'd be delighted for Andy Farrell to join so he can keep an eye on how the Irish lads do and report back, while Schmidt focuses on the lads in US and Japan tour. I think this is definitely the right option.
I don't want Schmidt sharing a single thing with Gatland on how to beat NZ.
Last edited by Laighin Break on November 14th, 2016, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Laighin Break wrote:I'll watch the Lions tour but my only interest really is how many Irish players make the squad and matchday 23. Wouldn't be disappointed with a series loss, even a 3-0 loss.

There's talk now that Schmidt may be asked to join their coaching team. I really hope he doesn't. He mentioned he'd be delighted for Andy Farrell to join so he can keep an eye on how the Irish lads do and report back, while Schmidt focuses on the lada in US and Japan tour. I think this is definitely the right option.
I don't want Schmidt sharing a single thing with Gatland on how to beat NZ.
+1
Absolutely. International rugby is a sport run like a business. The intellectual property that is the cumulative thoughts, planning and preparation by the Nartional Management Team should not be pi@*ed away on the ego trip and financial re-distribution, which a Lions Tour represents. Good luck to the Irish guys who get selected but I hope they consider it a reconnisance mission to learn as much as possible about local (and other) opponents.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

On the basis of the November Internationals it'll be a straight shoot between Murray and Youngs for the SH position atm. Murray ahead so far!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

erskinechilders wrote:On the basis of the November Internationals it'll be a straight shoot between Murray and Youngs for the SH position atm. Murray ahead so far!
On the basis of the nov intls none of the Welsh players would have made the 2013 Lions squad.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:
erskinechilders wrote:On the basis of the November Internationals it'll be a straight shoot between Murray and Youngs for the SH position atm. Murray ahead so far!
On the basis of the nov intls none of the Welsh players would have made the 2013 Lions squad.
Liam Williams & Rhys Webb
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Liam Williams & Rhys Webb
Misread that quote @paddyor. Apologies.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The Telegraph picks its Lions squad early;

The Daily Telegraph's Lions squad:

FRONT ROW: Jack McGrath (Ireland), Mako Vunipola (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Gethin Jenkins (Wales), WP Nel (Scotland), Dylan Hartley (England), Rory Best (Ireland), Jamie George (England).

SECOND ROW: Alun Wyn-Jones (Wales), Maro Itoje (England), Devin Toner (Ireland), George Kruis (England), Joe Launchbury (England).

BACK ROW: Chris Robshaw (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), James Haskell (England), Sam Warburton (Wales), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland).

HALF BACK: Rhys Webb (Wales), Conor Murray (Ireland), Ben Youngs (England), Dan Biggar (Wales), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Owen Farrell (England).

CENTRE: Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Jonathan Joseph (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales).

BACK THREE: George North (Wales), Liam Williams (Wales), Anthony Watson (England), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Rob Kearney (Ireland).
7 Leinster guys.
I'd be quite happy if the Lions were dominated by English and Welsh tbh. Leave our guys a chance for a good preseason and hopefully a good season in blue & green, as well as red & white too of course.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Few changes I would have made to the Telegraphs' squad:

Furlong for Jenkins
Jonny Gray for Launchbury
O'Brien for Robshaw
George Ford / Finn Russell for Biggar
Payne & Elliot Daly for Roberts & Kearney
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Paper never refused ink....
Four Stars
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lar wrote:Paper never refused ink....
In the circumstances, maybe it could read:
Papers never refused (dr)ink
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Revised Lions squad after the weekend, changes in bold.

FRONT ROW: Jack McGrath (Ireland), Mako Vunipola (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Tadhg Furlong ( Ireland ), WP Nel (Scotland), Dylan Hartley (England), Rory Best (Ireland), Jamie George (England).

SECOND ROW: Alun Wyn-Jones (Wales), Maro Itoje (England), Devin Toner (Ireland), George Kruis (England), Jonny Gray ( Scotland )

BACK ROW: CJ Stander (Ireland), Sean O'Brien ( Ireland ) , James Haskell ( England ), Sam Warburton (Wales), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland).

HALF BACK: Rhys Webb (Wales), Conor Murray (Ireland), Ben Youngs (England), George Ford ( England ), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Owen Farrell (England).

CENTRE: Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Jonathan Joseph (England), Huw Jones ( Scotland ).

BACK THREE: George North (Wales), Liam Williams (Wales), Anthony Watson (England), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Jared Payne ( Ireland )
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I think Trimble is possibly in with a shout if he keeps up current vein of form
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

POC speaking on Sky after the game picked the forwards he thinks should be on the Lions squad.
McGrath, Furlong, Best, Heaslip and SOB.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:POC speaking on Sky after the game picked the forwards he thinks should be on the Lions squad.
I'd say toners delighted with that endorsement
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:
blockhead wrote:POC speaking on Sky after the game picked the forwards he thinks should be on the Lions squad.
He actually gave a ringing endorsement of TTT when discuussing his picks. I think he was limited to 5 choices.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
He actually gave a ringing endorsement of TTT when discuussing his picks. I think he was limited to 5 choices.
In that case, I'd be dropping sob for toner
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan