Lions 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Lions 2017

Post by erskinechilders »

Just thinking of the starting Lions team at this point in time. Very very far out but imo it'll go something like this:

15. Stuart Hogg
14. Anthony Watson
13. Jonathan Joseph
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. George North
10. Jonathan Sexton
9. Conor Murray
8. Billy Vunipola
7. Sam Warburton
6. Taulupe Faletau
5. Alun Wyn Jones (c)
4. Maro Itoje
3. WP Nel
2. Dylan Hartley
1. Jack McGrath

16. Jamie George
17. Mako Vunipola
18. Dan Cole
19. Iain Henderson
20. Justin Tipuric / Sean O'Brien
21. Rhys Webb
22. Owen Farrell
23. Jared Payne
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Lions 2017

Post by neiliog93 »

Payne probably won't even make the wider squad. He'll probably use Faletau as an impact sub off the bench and put Haskell at 6. Could see Tuilagi in one of the centre spots. Also think Dan Cole will start, WP Nel has got way too much praise on the back of a decent 6 Nations in 2016, IMO.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

erskinechilders wrote:Just thinking of the starting Lions team at this point in time. Very very far out but imo it'll go something like this:

15. Stuart Hogg
14. Anthony Watson
13. Jonathan Joseph
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. George North
10. Jonathan Sexton
9. Conor Murray
8. Billy Vunipola
7. Sam Warburton
6. Taulupe Faletau
5. Alun Wyn Jones (c)
4. Maro Itoje
3. WP Nel
2. Dylan Hartley
1. Jack McGrath

16. Jamie George
17. Mako Vunipola
18. Dan Cole
19. Iain Henderson
20. Justin Tipuric / Sean O'Brien
21. Rhys Webb
22. Owen Farrell
23. Jared Payne
That's probably not a million miles off. I like the AWJ suggestion for Captain actually. Makes sense.

I'm not sure about 6, 12, 14 & 23, but the rest seem pretty likely to me. 3 and 9 could possibly switch with the bench versions.

I could imagine Henderson starting at 6, and having two impact back rows like O'Brien / Stander / Faletau on the bench. He might go with Roberts or Tuilagi at 12, and its hard to call a right wing.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

A Gatland coached side without Roberts or Davies? No chance.

I'd say Farrell is ahead of J10 at this moment in time too.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Degz wrote:A Gatland coached side without Roberts or Davies? No chance.

I'd say Farrell is ahead of J10 at this moment in time too.
Yes on Roberts, but not Davies. Hasn't played well in the last year really. Even Stephen fanboy Jones didn't have him in his Welsh/English 15 in the ST.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I can see Henshaw being picked at 13 (he's big, after all) with Tuilagi to come in off the bench. Unless Davies' form recovers, in which case he'll be straight back in.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Serious performances from Henshaw,Sexton, Murray, Furlong and McGrath... Murray Henshaw and Furlong shoe-ins for the starting team!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

erskinechilders wrote:Serious performances from Henshaw,Sexton, Murray, Furlong and McGrath... Murray Henshaw and Furlong shoe-ins for the starting team!
Furlong could be the relative bolter there, TH is not a deep position for the Lions: Lee is injury prone and and doesnt seem to have lived up to early hype/been the same post op, Nel and Cole are surmountable obstacles,a nd Furlong probably the best ball player of all 4
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I've never been able to understand the hype around Samson Lee. He was sh!t when I first saw him, and he was sh!t the last time I saw him, and he didn't improve in-between
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Insight: finally dawned on me why I dislike the lions so much - it turns me into a quasi turnip eating orangina drinking people's republican loudly declaring stupidity, blindness and just plain bias in any team selection that doesn't include Sexytoes at 10, Heaslip at 8, and Murray at 9.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:I've never been able to understand the hype around Samson Lee. He was sh!t when I first saw him, and he was sh!t the last time I saw him, and he didn't improve in-between
hey its also not like they can take him AND Marler on the same tour
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:I've never been able to understand the hype around Samson Lee. He was sh!t when I first saw him, and he was sh!t the last time I saw him, and he didn't improve in-between
He's Welsh. Any young prop from the Principality is assumed to be a foundation of promise no matter what the evidence of his playing career would seem to indicate to the untutored (i.e. non-Welsh) eye. it was ever thus....
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

artaneboy wrote:
He's Welsh. Any young prop from the Principality is assumed to be a foundation of promise no matter what the evidence of his playing career would seem to indicate to the untutored (i.e. non-Welsh) eye. it was ever thus....
That happens alright, but I factored that in! Hes a Scarlet and they're less inclined to the hyperbole than their neighbours and this was in person, talking to folks over there - not the usual media stuff. I just have never been able to see it. I remember a respected denizen of this parish telling me to keep an eye out for him if he started against us at a game we were both at over there (and in fairness there was a some doubt about an injury he may have been carrying), but if he was carrying an injury he would have dropped it - he was dreadful
I have Bumbleflex
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I have reposted my post with squad prediction to the Lions section of the International Rugby
Last edited by backrower8 on November 8th, 2016, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I have reposted my Matchday 23 to the correct (Lions) page on the International Rugby board
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Way too early to be predicting team.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Of course it is, it's too early until around the time they pick it.

If by predicting the team you mean making a close to accurate prediction of what the team will be when it plays.

If your purpose is to suggest what it might be were it picked now, for you know fun speculation stuff, it's never too soon. And doing that over time gives us a sense of how the fortunes of teams and players are going.

For example I would have thought starting off that the bulk of the team would come from England with Wales second (partially due to Gatland having familiarity with them and they with what he wants). Now I see Wales slipping and Irish players coming into contention where I might not have seen it before. As pure nerdy fun why not?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

predicting it is fun though

as it stands the Welsh makeup may be waning
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:predicting it is fun though