Let's Make The Foley '8' Stance a Tradition

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Let's Make The Foley '8' Stance a Tradition

Post by backrower8 »

Folks let's campaign for Ireland to always line up in the 'Foley 8' stance when facing the Haka or any other prematch war dance.

Traditions have to start somewhere and this one started in the right place, for the right reasons and the right result. While honouring Axel is the starting point the No.8 resonates for lots of reasons.

It is a number at the heart of the team.

The 8 stance is also the symbol for infinity (when on its side) and infinite resolve, effort, teamwork all sit well with rugby.

It also looks good and works well with the dynamic of two units - forwards and backs united in their mission to resist and overcome the dancing opposition team.

Why not?

#keepthe8 #shouldertoshoulder
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Let's Make The Foley '8' Stance a Tradition

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

#letsnot #itwasapowerfulgesturethatmeantalottoalotofpeoplebutletsnotcheapenitbyturningitintoagimmick
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:#letsnot #itwasapowerfulgesturethatmeantalottoalotofpeoplebutletsnotcheapenitbyturningitintoagimmick
#plusone
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Theres an element of mourning sickness beginning to creep in now
I have Bumbleflex
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Peg Leg wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:#letsnot #itwasapowerfulgesturethatmeantalottoalotofpeoplebutletsnotcheapenitbyturningitintoagimmick
#plusone
#plusonetoo
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Same old gatekeepers I see picking up where we left off.

As I said, while Axel was the spark this would move beyond that moment and him specifically . It has relevance beyond Axel and is a better response than lining up eunuch-like in a straight line to accept the wonderful tradition and intimidation on the other side.

#keepthe8
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

What relevance has it beyond Foley?

It was a lovely gesture. Leave it at that.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Would we have enough players to line them up in the shape of "40-29"?

Thought it was fantastic but can't see the relevance going forward. The reasons you gave for it resonating don't resonate with me in the slightest. "It's a number at the heart of the team" really doesn't mean a thing and I would never have made the connection with infinity and think you're really reaching with your meaning for it.

Would be nice to be able to do something though, it was a very powerful image last week and whilst it had never occurred to me before that we could do something like that, maybe we should try and come up with something for every NZ game given that it went so well. Maybe even a "J" for Jordi this week. I know that his injury pales in comparison to the news about Axel and might cheapen that gesture but I'm just spitballing and can't think of anything else that would be easy to do and have any kind of meaning at all.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I would suggest this as an appropriate response to the haka https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qaURdYJxnNY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

As time goes on the number 8 and the Irish team becomes irrevocably associated with the greatest Number 8 Ireland has had in the pro era.

Which isn't Foley.

So it doesn't make any sense.

It was great because of when it was, and we didn't do it for the Canada match for good reason. The king is dead, long live the king. In sport someone is always there to replace you, and we the supporters, are here to make sure the previous guys aren't forgotten.

It was special, and making a pantomime of it diminishes the respect and emotion of the thing.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

backrower8 wrote:Folks let's campaign for Ireland to always line up in the 'Foley 8' stance when facing the Haka or any other prematch war dance.

Traditions have to start somewhere and this one started in the right place, for the right reasons and the right result. While honouring Axel is the starting point the No.8 resonates for lots of reasons.

It is a number at the heart of the team.

The 8 stance is also the symbol for infinity (when on its side) and infinite resolve, effort, teamwork all sit well with rugby.

It also looks good and works well with the dynamic of two units - forwards and backs united in their mission to resist and overcome the dancing opposition team.

Why not?

#keepthe8 #shouldertoshoulder
No.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

A Step Too Far
As for 40-29 -> 4+0=4 & 2+9=11 -> 1+1=2 -> 4-2 = 2. Won't Woodie be Pleased.
Another step too far.
13 would be good tho'
Last edited by Oldschool on November 15th, 2016, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

backrower8 wrote:Same old gatekeepers I see picking up where we left off.

As I said, while Axel was the spark this would move beyond that moment and him specifically . It has relevance beyond Axel and is a better response than lining up eunuch-like in a straight line to accept the wonderful tradition and intimidation on the other side.

#keepthe8
Man, I'm afraid that what you're suggesting cheapens a moving gesture. I appreciate and admire your passion and feeling for what happened, but it wouldn't work.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

No
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

My understanding is that what o'driscoll did pre-spear was an acceptance of the challenge and intended as respectful. I would have been in favour of adopting that as a gesture that the challenge is indeed accepted and also we are going to keep coming back at you no matter what happens. But the figure 8 they used was just brilliant for that occasion. What made it so good was that it was unique moment and you just couldn't repeat that backrower8.

I am certainly in favour of doing something with meaning as a response though. Even if it's just we will stand here as a group and face it as a group (as munster recently did), or if you spread out across the field (as the under 20s did), or advance on it as Willie Anderson did. You might just choose as a team to say let's not get too drawn into this - it's a rugby match and that's what we need to think about. A friend of mine working in the Aussie institute of sport told me that's how they recommended dealing with it (I guess that fits the campo narrative above) and they had looked at New Zealand and that they gave most of their penalties away in the early part of the game due to over-hyping. That was from the early 2000s mind you. I think the kiwis themselves use the haka better now than then.

I do like the O'Driscoll one personally, although maybe it's more appropriate for the lions to take that one on. Potentially I would just kneel and pray myself, but that wouldn't be for everyone. It wouldn't usually be for me, but it feels appropriate facing the all blacks!

A more sustainable tribute to Anthony Foley might be a trophy commissioned by the irfu for the winner of the match/series between the two teams, if the foley family and New Zealand were comfortable with that. Given his father's role in the munster victory and how the haka was so memorable the last day, he is going to be tied to this fixture forever more. I don't think there is a trophy at the moment. Well if there is one, there hasn't been much need for us to look about it this past hundred years. Until now. This weekend we play for the Raeburn shield for a start.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

It obviously doesn't fly for this forum but I posted it somewhere else and got 15 likes for it to date. Thanks for the feedback. It seems that people think something would be nice but that the Foleyassiciation is not to be repeated for people here. Any other suggestions or do we do what everyone else does as infinitum? As a player I would want something more myself.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Backrower.I'm sure you mean well but I think this would be a bad idea. It was a wonderfull one off gesture, in our first international game since Foley died. Lets just leave it at that. It actually grows in poignancy if its left there on the 5th of Nov 2016.
There was also a petition set up online to have the Heino renamed as the Anthony Foley Cup and a few other suggestions which will in time be viewed as a little bit cringey. I only know Foley through the prism of de telly, the same as the vast majority, however I would hazard a guess that this sort of thing would have him mortified.
Naming part of TP would be a fine gesture. An interprovincial cup (if there isn't already one) given to the province with the best record v the other provinces in a given pro12 regular season is also a good idea.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

backrower8 wrote:It obviously doesn't fly for this forum but I posted it somewhere else and got 15 likes for it to date. Thanks for the feedback. It seems that people think something would be nice but that the Foleyassiciation is not to be repeated for people here. Any other suggestions or do we do what everyone else does as infinitum? As a player I would want something more myself.
It worked as a tribute and a timely gesture. The meaning of it would be lost and cheapen the gesture. Let it stand alone (as it were).
Agree that a response would be great, for the brief period before the irb bow to pressure and ban it. Can't think of a symbol that would maintain the level of intent or emotion required.
Last edited by Peg Leg on November 16th, 2016, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Either way I'll be fascinated to see what response, if any, Ireland have to the haka this weekend.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Fan with smartphone wrote:
A friend of mine working in the Aussie institute of sport told me that's how they recommended dealing with it (I guess that fits the campo narrative above) and they had looked at New Zealand and that they gave most of their penalties away in the early part of the game due to over-hyping. That was from the early 2000s mind you. I think the kiwis themselves use the haka better now than then.
I wonder how much it helps them now. Used to love it and it sounded great in Chicago but I definitely felt like it was more for show than anything else because of the version they used and how long it went on for. Might be wrong but just get the feeling that its meaning is diminishing.