New IRB Rules for 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

New IRB Rules for 2017

Post by leinsterfan100 »

Proposed new law changes for next year (Inc. Lions Series) and 2017/18 Northern Hemisphere season.
http://rugbylad.com/world-rugby-set-to- ... d-up-game/
One thing that I question is the new law about not being able to kick the ball straight out of play from a penalty that has been awarded after the 80 mins are up. The new rule says that if you do this, you are required to go through with the line out first. Instead, surely you could just choose the tap and go option and then kick the ball straight out of play once you tap the ball?!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: New IRB Rules for 2017

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Really?

Surely, if you're chasing a score this is an advantage to be allowed take the line out, if you're defending a lead, do as you suggested?

I don't like not having to covert a Penalty Try to get the 7
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Hey here's the best change, just enforce the offside line properly. End of.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Currently a team that misses a drop goal or penalty invariably gets the ball back from the 22 drop out. How about a scrum to the defending team from the point where the drop goal was kicked or the penalty was originally awarded? I do like a long range drop goal and I suppose such a rule change would have deterred the likes of Sexton in HC Final 2009 from having a pop. On the other hand such a change would encourage more kicks for the corner on penalties
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

TerenureJim wrote:Hey here's the best change, just enforce the offside line properly. End of.
In a nutshell, exactly
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Forget new Laws in 2017, how about enforcement of 2016 Law Interpretations by Referees?

Pat Whelan, the former Irish Hooker and Team Manager, is IRFU rep on World Rugby. He should be inundated with complaints from Irish fans about the performance of that group of Officials last night in Aviva. We were cheated and our team were assaulted. That's how bad it was and because it's now a business as much as a sport, the culprits should be fined or penalised in a financial manner.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

TerenureJim wrote:Hey here's the best change, just enforce the offside line properly. End of.
+2. So many teams live offside, including the ABs (Ireland and Irish teams objectively generally do not, which is their own mistake).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

New rules/interpretations my ar $e.
Take the forward pass. If the ball travels forward then that's bad technique, simple as - duck off with the intention of the hands was for it to go backwards.
Time wasting rules good but the faster the game becomes the more concussions we'll get.
Leave the conversion rules alone.
Every so often when the pressure is on even the simplest of kicks get missed.
The SH wants to make the game more entertaining no matter the cost. They could learn how to tackle properly for starters.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

One way of cleaning up the game would be to.
A. Award an additional 20ms from the point where a YC is given for violent/dangerous/recklous/dirty/foul play
OR
B. Award three points against the team given the YC ir award a peno in front of the posts no matter where the "crime" has been committed
OR
Something along the above lines
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Plus one million, as they say
Dont Panic!
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

To echo some of the +1 etc I think that they should try enforcing the current rules. Offside to begin with. On the tackle I think that if some of what we saw in that game continues they may need to look at reducing the legal tackle height. From the armpits up or maybe even lower would improve the situation considerably. Also it might reduce the impact of some of the monsters in the game as it requires skill to tackle properly.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Fireworks wrote:To echo some of the +1 etc I think that they should try enforcing the current rules. Offside to begin with. On the tackle I think that if some of what we saw in that game continues they may need to look at reducing the legal tackle height. From the armpits up or maybe even lower would improve the situation considerably. Also it might reduce the impact of some of the monsters in the game as it requires skill to tackle properly.
I am very much in favour of this also.
Four Stars
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Problem with the offside law is that it's just so hard for a ref to see it, especially as he needs to watch all the carry on around the breakdown at the same time.

I would propose making the ARs solely responsible for the policing of the offside line. Each AR would be responsible for watching the line from wherever the ruck is position to their touchline. They do little else during open play anyway, and I know that they should already sort of be doing this, but making it clearer would empower them to make calls easier without seeming to constantly be overruling the ref, and would allow the ref concentrate on issues around the contact area.

The sharing of responsibility that has been introduced by the TMO and AR thing has lead to some handy hiding places for officials.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

neiliog93 wrote:
+2. So many teams live offside, including the ABs (Ireland and Irish teams objectively generally do not, which is their own mistake).
Now that's just down right ridiculous!

All teams constantly live offside until they get caught.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ChrisUppy wrote:Problem with the offside law is that it's just so hard for a ref to see it, especially as he needs to watch all the carry on around the breakdown at the same time.

I would propose making the ARs solely responsible for the policing of the offside line. Each AR would be responsible for watching the line from wherever the ruck is position to their touchline. They do little else during open play anyway, and I know that they should already sort of be doing this, but making it clearer would empower them to make calls easier without seeming to constantly be overruling the ref, and would allow the ref concentrate on issues around the contact area.

The sharing of responsibility that has been introduced by the TMO and AR thing has lead to some handy hiding places for officials.
I think this is a great idea, suggested something similar last year.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

kermischocolate wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:
Now that's just down right ridiculous!

All teams constantly live offside until they get caught.
Ah we're great Kerm, good honest folk just here to have a bit of fun. But no seriously, you're bang on, that said we are good at reigning it in when defending our own line.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan