Coming from USA for match vs. Ulster. Is RDS OK for kids?

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

cvd6262
Beginner

Coming from USA for match vs. Ulster. Is RDS OK for kids?

Post by cvd6262 »

My family is traveling from the USA to Dublin for the first time this New Years. My 11-year-old son is a big rugby fan and wants to get tickets to the Leinster-Ulster match. Before I do, I want to ask how common it is to bring children to matches at RDS. I see that children under 16 are only allowed in the grandstand and the general admission areas, but a friend cautioned us that it might be too crazy for a kid. We've been to matches around the USA and in Australia, but those fans have tame reputations.

I appreciate your advice.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Coming from USA for match vs. Ulster. Is RDS OK for kids

Post by Dave Cahill »

Your son will have a great time! One of the best things about the RDS is how family-friendly it is. Any of the seated areas will give your son a safe place to enjoy the game. Noisy as heck (and he can contribute to that!), but safe. Before each game there is usually a Canterbury roadshow in the show ring and plenty of food concessions as well as the Leinster Store. Kids are also welcome in The Laighin Out, the Official Leinster Supporters Club bar. You might also want to take a look at a "Blue Room" upgrade which provides additional facilities (example from a previous game http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/upgrade-to- ... v-glasgow/)
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

One of our biggest group of Season Tick Holders are family members. Two adults, two kids is a grouping that floods every game. Your son will enjoy the atmosphere and the game and be safe.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The most family friendly ground in the pro 12.
It's positively refined.
Full of painfully middle class people afraid to look socially awkward. :)
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Has your friend that cautioned you been to a Leinster match? You'd be hard pressed to find a more family friendly sporting event.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I almost never go without children. I have been with children who have grown up into adults now over ten years of going and continue to bring younger kids (under 10).

Once or twice there has been colourful language, but they usually get embarrassed at me and tell me to stop it :oops:

Actually in the Grandstand where more families sit you rarely even hear colourful language, it's pretty frowned on by the regulars with kids.

It's as safe as safe can be, Leinster rugby's growth was based on bringing families to the games, there should be a bit of a family zone atmosphere for the Ulster match and the Ulster fans are probably the best group of supporters to come to the RDS: nice and loud and really friendly.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I am a child, it's great. Any area barring the terrace is suitable for kids. The invitational half time junior teams (generally under 8's) sit at the south stand.

BTW the ONLY reason not to bring the kids to the terrace is that they will struggle to get a decent view of the pitch.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:I am a child, it's great. Any area barring the terrace is suitable for kids. The invitational half time junior teams (generally under 8's) sit at the south stand.

BTW the ONLY reason not to bring the kids to the terrace is that they will struggle to get a decent view of the pitch.
They is not allowed in the Anglesea stand either. Because people who pay that much for their tickets shouldn't be disturbed by sniveling kids
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:I am a child, it's great. Any area barring the terrace is suitable for kids. The invitational half time junior teams (generally under 8's) sit at the south stand.

They is not allowed in the Anglesea stand either. Because people who pay that much for their tickets shouldn't be disturbed by sniveling kids
Reason enough to knock it down.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:

Sorry John but that's wrong - we get plenty of young kids in the Anglesea. There's obviously nowhere near as many as in the Grandstand or North/South stands but that's probably because there's no concession on prices for children.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Xanthippe wrote:
johng wrote:

Sorry John but that's wrong - we get plenty of young kids in the Anglesea. There's obviously nowhere near as many as in the Grandstand or North/South stands but that's probably because there's no concession on prices for children.
Ah. Sorry

Kids are allowed but you have to pay through the snotter for them. Gotcha. :wink:
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I frequently bring my girls (11 and 9) to matches in the RDS and to the Aviva.
Rugby in Ireland is very much a family event. You will be very comfortable.

Tickets for the Ulster match may become hard to get so I'd buy them soon.

Also keep in mind that seats in the Anglesea and Grandstand (6+ rows back from the front) offer protection from the weather, North and South are unreserved but also uncovered so you could get good seats (first come first served) but if it rains your going to get wet and cold. Wrap up well. Plan for rain. Wear blue. Have fun.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:

johng wrote:
Xanthippe wrote: Sorry John but that's wrong - we get plenty of young kids in the Anglesea. There's obviously nowhere near as many as in the Grandstand or North/South stands but that's probably because there's no concession on prices for children.
Ah. Sorry

Kids are allowed but you have to pay through the snotter for them. Gotcha. :wink:
:lol:
The funny thing is that is doesn't seem to put people off though I suppose for some of the quieter games it could be people upgrading from North/South stands
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
cvd6262
Beginner

Thanks for all the responses. Getting tickets right now.

Post by cvd6262 »

Thanks, all. We're looking forward to this. Grandstand tickets are running low, so I'll book ours right now.

To answer a question: No, the friend who told me to be careful about taking a child has not been to a Leinster match. They were speaking in general, which is why I wanted to check with you.

Thanks again.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Unreal that the question is being asked, never been to a rugby union match where children were not thought to be safe and welcomed, ok the language can get a bit fruity at times when the ref makes a "mistake" but no worse than they will hear out and about anywhere and people tend to try and control themselves when kids are in earshot.
No discount up North in the main stand either but still some kids there, mine still join me at times but we just have adult tickets anyway.
cvd6262
Beginner

Post by cvd6262 »

rooster wrote:Unreal that the question is being asked, never been to a rugby union match where children were not thought to be safe and welcomed, ok the language can get a bit fruity at times when the ref makes a "mistake" but no worse than they will hear out and about anywhere and people tend to try and control themselves when kids are in earshot.
I apologize if the question was insensitive or inappropriate. It wasn't meant as an indictment of union fans or the great fans in Ireland. I really had no idea what to expect at the match. There are venues (and, more often, specific seating areas) here in the USA where only the ardent, rowdy, and even vulgar crowd would have an enjoyable experience. This is especially true with some American football teams. So I was just being cautious in asking.

I'm ecstatic to learn that RDS is a family-friendly environment. I just purchased six tickets for my family (myself, my wife, and our four sons), so we'll be there and scream as loud as we can for Leinster. Thanks again for the information, and let me know if there is anything else we Yanks should know.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I'm sure all Leinster are delighted to welcome you and your family. Don't worry about sensitivities, your question was sensible and protective.

Enjoy the game, it usually is a belter between our two teams.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I don't think anyone took offence to your question at all! Just surprised more than anything else as rugby union pretty everywhere would be considered family friendly. As your experience comes from other sports, it is a completely understandable question as I'm sure some people here mightn't bring their kids to soccer games or certain areas at GAA games.
We'd be very proud about how well the crowd behave at rugby matches and how there's absolutely no need for alcohol bans / crowd segregation etc. and hope you have a great time.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

cvd6262 wrote:
rooster wrote:Unreal that the question is being asked, never been to a rugby union match where children were not thought to be safe and welcomed, ok the language can get a bit fruity at times when the ref makes a "mistake" but no worse than they will hear out and about anywhere and people tend to try and control themselves when kids are in earshot.
I apologize if the question was insensitive or inappropriate. It wasn't meant as an indictment of union fans or the great fans in Ireland. I really had no idea what to expect at the match. There are venues (and, more often, specific seating areas) here in the USA where only the ardent, rowdy, and even vulgar crowd would have an enjoyable experience. This is especially true with some American football teams. So I was just being cautious in asking.

I'm ecstatic to learn that RDS is a family-friendly environment. I just purchased six tickets for my family (myself, my wife, and our four sons), so we'll be there and scream as loud as we can for Leinster. Thanks again for the information, and let me know if there is anything else we Yanks should know.
Actually, we have that too. It's called Thomond Park.
Long way from here, so you're fine.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Laighin Break wrote:I don't think anyone took offence to your question at all! Just surprised more than anything else as rugby union pretty everywhere would be considered family friendly. As your experience comes from other sports, it is a completely understandable question as I'm sure some people here mightn't bring their kids to soccer games or certain areas at GAA games.
We'd be very proud about how well the crowd behave at rugby matches and how there's absolutely no need for alcohol bans / crowd segregation etc. and hope you have a great time.
I am of a similar thought hence my post, no offence taken at all just amazed at the thought of it.