IRB World Rankings

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: IRB World Rankings

Post by simonokeeffe »

Degz wrote:We'll get SA and Argentina in the World Cup group.

You heard it here first.
Im backing Scotland and France to have miserable six nations

Nightmare is SA, France, Fiji, Samoa
Dream is Scotland, Japan, Romania, Minnow

top 12 are seeded, rest are free for all I think
Last edited by simonokeeffe on November 20th, 2016, 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:

You heard it here first.

Nightmare is SA, France, Fiji, Samoa, minnow
Dream is Scotland, Japan, Romania, minnow
Scotland will be a tougher proposition than Wales and Italy.
Wales without Gatland aren't great.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

You heard it here first.

Nightmare is SA, France, Fiji, Samoa, minnow
Dream is Scotland, Japan, Romania, minnow
Scotland will be a tougher proposition than Wales and Italy.
Wales without Gatland aren't great.
Scotland are basically Glasgow with a lower standard of foreign player
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

So, at the end of a good November for Ireland the rankings look like this

1. BNZ 94.78
2. ENG 89.84
3. AUS 86.17 (-1.17)
4. IRL 84.62 (+1.17)
5. WAL 82.55 (+0.78)
6. RSA 81.79 (-0.78)
7. SCO 80.67 (+0.10)
8. FRA 80.13
9. ARG 79.91
10. FIJ 76.46 (+0.97)
11. JPN 74.22 (-0.97)
12. GEO 74.14 (-0.10)
13. ITA 72.47 (-1.69)
14. TON 71.14 (+1.69)
15. SAM 71.25 (+0.34)
Last edited by Xanthippe on November 26th, 2016, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Xanthippe wrote:So, at the end of a good November for Ireland the rankings look like this (pending result of France v New Zealand)

1. BNZ 94.78
2. ENG 89.84
3. AUS 86.17 (-1.17)
4. IRL 84.62 (+1.17)
5. WAL 82.55 (+0.78)
6. RSA 81.79 (-0.78)
7. SCO 80.67 (+0.10)
8. FRA 80.13
9. ARG 79.91
10. FIJ 76.46 (+0.97)
11. JPN 74.22 (-0.97)
12. GEO 74.14 (-0.10)
13. ITA 72.47 (-1.69)
14. TON 71.14 (+1.69)
15. SAM 71.25 (+0.34)
Outside of our results those posted by Georgia, Italy, Japan, Tonga etc have been encouraging for the game's development. SA have fallen off a cliff though and France need to get control of their league and start promoting French players.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If Argentina had made an effort against England SA could have been looking at 3rd seeds

We get to look foward to the Welsh equal parts adorable and bolshy thinking they can get top 4 now

@Xan am I right in saying 3 wins in 6n and we're home and hosed barring some freaky run of events elsewhere?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:If Argentina had made an effort against England SA could have been looking at 3rd seeds

We get to look foward to the Welsh equal parts adorable and bolshy thinking they can get top 4 now

@Xan am I right in saying 3 wins in 6n and we're home and hosed barring some freaky run of events elsewhere?
Assuming England win by more than 15 points next week it's not impossible that both Ireland and Wales could finish in the top four although it would be a big ask for Wales.
Three NH teams in the top four would be unheard of.
Can't see Wales doing but injuries to various players can make a big difference to a team.
Billy Vunipola is out next week that'll improve the chances of an OZ victory significantly.
JS is actually trying to develop a squad where the loss of any player will have that kind of impact on the teams performance.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:If Argentina had made an effort against England SA could have been looking at 3rd seeds

Assuming England win by more than 15 points next week it's not impossible that both Ireland and Wales could finish in the top four although it would be a big ask for Wales.
Can't see Wales doing but injuries to various players can make a big difference to a team.
Billy Vunipola is out next week that'll improve the chances of an OZ victory significantly.
JS is actually trying to develop a squad where the loss of any player will have that kind of impact on the teams performance.
It is impossible for three 6n teams to finish in the top four or above 86.35 pts
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

StrangeButBlue wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

It is impossible for three 6n teams to finish in the top four or above 86.35 pts
I knew I should have said for the IRB RWC 2019 seeding date, which is when the IRB rankings become important - ah well.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

If England beat Aus well next week, then Ireland and Wales win their first 3 games in the 6N they will be in the top 4 with England before the end of February.

Unfortunately for Wales that includes beating England.

Both Ireland and Wales have England at home though.

Australia and South Africa in tier 2 would be nightmare draws for whoever got them though and there is no real way that both France and Scotland could get past South Africa to get them down another level.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Australia will have at least 86.35 pts next week. (if they lose by >15pts to ENG) more likely to have 86.56.
It is not possible for England, Ireland and Wales to all get above 86.35 during the 2017 6 nations.
Australia are mathematicaly certain of being top seeds for the rwc19 draw, not even a yuge upset can dislodge them
Ireland are in the unusual position of playing an important game at home and last on the schedule.
This gives an advantage in the championship but also gives a massive advantage in the seendings and could waste a few pages of this board debating a SF World Cup vs a championship if we have 5 mins to go and need 7 pts to beat ENG by 15 but only need 3 for the championship (for example)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Imagine the uproar if theres only one SH side in top 4 (and France in seed pot 3), and the later draw was done to facilitate England/avoid big nations being eliminated in group stages
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It is definitely possible for Ire Eng and Wales to be ahead of Australia by the end of Feb. I didn't calculate whether it was possible for them all to stay there in March. Given Ireland have to play the other 2..... Perhaps not.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

StrangeButBlue wrote:Australia will have at least 86.35 pts next week. (if they lose by >15pts to ENG) more likely to have 86.56.
It is not possible for England, Ireland and Wales to all get above 86.35 during the 2017 6 nations.
Australia are mathematicaly certain of being top seeds for the rwc19 draw, not even a yuge upset can dislodge them
Ireland are in the unusual position of playing an important game at home and last on the schedule.
This gives an advantage in the championship but also gives a massive advantage in the seendings and could waste a few pages of this board debating a SF World Cup vs a championship if we have 5 mins to go and need 7 pts to beat ENG by 15 but only need 3 for the championship (for example)
The IRB ranking points haven't been properly updated yet, following the weekend results.
Based on earlier post by Xan, if OZ lose to England next weekend they'll be a point worse off than you are suggesting.
Small margins time maybe.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Don't have it in front of me but if Aus lose by 15+ they will be on exactly identical points to us.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

StrangeButBlue wrote:Australia will have at least 86.35 pts next week. (if they lose by >15pts to ENG) more likely to have 86.56.
Oldschool wrote: The IRB ranking points haven't been properly updated yet, following the weekend results.
Based on earlier post by Xan, if OZ lose to England next weekend they'll be a point worse off than you are suggesting.
Small margins time maybe.
johng wrote:Don't have it in front of me but if Aus lose by 15+ they will be on exactly identical points to us.
Sorry lads but SBB is exactly right - down to the last decimal point. If Aus lose by <15 they will be on 86.56 and if they lose by >15 they will be on 86.35. I think you're possibly forgetting that you have to add 3.0 onto England's current ranking because they're the home team - this will leave them on 92.84 and so drastically reduces any potential ranking point loss for Australia
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Tbh i didn't think be was wrong. He always gets the stats right.

I was using one of those sites that calculate the results for you.

I must have put in one of the results wrongly.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Fooking spoilsport and just when I was coming off the pills. :wink:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:Fooking spoilsport and just when I was coming off the pills. :wink:
Please don't OS
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Turns out it is now theroetically possible if......
Wales win GS
Ireland win 4 with ENG or Scot win by >+ 16pts
Eng beat FR, IT, SC
France beat IT + Scot
Scotland beat Italy

Gives ranking of

1 94.78 New Zealand
2 87.35 England
3 86.67 Wales
4 86.64 Ireland
5 86.35 Australia